Thread: adding "www"

adding "www"

hi,
    i have my dns configured correctly and my domain name is resolving to the right ip. however, i am having trouble figuring out how to get it to resolve correctly with "www" before my domain name.

Make sure that you have added a www cname record for your domain in your domain's DNS Zone file.

Which control panel do you have with your hosting account?
    Real Value Hosting - Every day hosting solutions since 2003
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting VPS Dedicated Servers True 24 x 7 x 365 Support

One of my biggest pet peeves is DNS records with a lack of both www and no www... I am lazy, so I type in domain.com looking for a site. You'd be surprised how many people have only www configured for their domain.

Anyway, here is an example of a typical properly configured zone:

@ IN NS nameserver1.com.
    @ IN NS nameserver2.com.
    @ IN A INSERT IP ADDRESS
    www IN CNAME @
    ftp IN CNAME @
    mail IN A INSERT IP ADDRESS
    @ IN MX 10 mail
    @ IN MX 20 mail.secondarymx.com

Here is a copy of a wildcard zone:

@ IN NS nameserver1.com.
    @ IN NS nameserver2.com.
    @ IN A INSERT IP ADDRESS
    * IN A INSERT IP ADDRESS
    @ IN MX 10 mail

Hope this helps.
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

we just have 2003 r2 and have been using all of the default stuff that came with it.

i tried to create a cname record with www but havent had luck, any tricks or tips?

Quote Originally Posted by steve1000 View Post
    we just have 2003 r2 and have been using all of the default stuff that came with it.

i tried to create a cname record with www but havent had luck, any tricks or tips?
    Not sure what that is... Is this windoze or something? I have no experience with that OS when it comes to DNS... Personally, I suggest using BIND.
    Jeremy Anthony Kinsey ([email protected]) - 262-248-6759
    Budget Dedicated Servers/Colocation HostDrive.Com
    cPanel Hosting/Dedicated Servers HostingLizard.Com
    19 Years in the Hosting Business!

When you try and ping your domain name does it resolve at all? If so, and on the off chance that is not a DNS issue:

Make sure that you have the www information in the host header information in the site properties of IIS. Right click on the site in IIS -> Properties. Click on the Advanced button to the right of the IP Address field under the Web Site tab. Click Add. select the proper IP address, TCP Port: 80, put the full domain name in the Host Header Value field.

i ended up getting my site to work with www then ended up with the opposite problem. now my site wont work without it.

Make sure that you didn't delete the website without www from the host header under IIS.

Under IIS -> yourwebsite -> Properties -> WebSite Identification -> Advanced you need to see 2 host headers.

1 without www and 1 with www.