Lightbulb Help to decide which dedicated server provider

Hi Folks
    I am running a web apps running on LAMP since last year on a shared hosting environment. It's now time to move on as the traffic is continue to grow, and I am new to dedicated servers.
    Here are the stat:

Currently monthly bandwidth: 50Gb+
    Daily visitor 20,000+
    8 millions hits / month.
    Majority users are in US and I am based in the UK.

Our current hosting provider is unable to provide additional bandwidth required.

Questions:
    1. Should I get Dedicated Servers or VPS? Reliability is important and I need provider who can cater us with growing number of users.
    2. I am prepared to spend up to $130/month if it helps to stream down choices.

Thanks ever so much!
    Last edited by michaelcb; 04-21-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added thank you

Rather than get a low-end server, I think you should get a good VPS which should last you for a while. Search the VPS part of these forums for reviews to see which you should pick, and even the VPS offers section if you're looking for a good deal.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

I would go with a Dedicated server so that you are not charing the connection through the machine out to the network. The connection would be more dedicated for you and let you burst better. Please it leaves it open for exspansion.
    VT BankCard
    Payment Processing Solutions and Merchant Services
    Specializing in WebHosting and High Risk Merchants.

How quickly is your site growing? What is your site running - ie. what kind of server load is your site generating?

If you're growing quickly and server load is relatively high, then go for a decent dedicated, if not, think about a VPS.
    Regards,
    Leigh

Host High - reliable UK hosting

I'd look for a host that provides VPS & dedicated servers, which allows you to expand easier if if it becomes to big for a VPS.

This is if transfering from server to server isn't too much of a problem, else just start with a dedicated server.

I really like the idea of starting with VPS then move to dedicated servers when required as it helps with the cashflow, budget etc.

During the last couple of months the average traffic is doubled, and I have to deal with the site general slowness, slow queries, maxed out number of MySQL connections.

Well these days, you can get a dedi for the VPS price.
    VT BankCard
    Payment Processing Solutions and Merchant Services
    Specializing in WebHosting and High Risk Merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMan View Post
    Well these days, you can get a dedi for the VPS price.
    Doesn't mean you should. Depends on his needs.

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    Doesn't mean you should. Depends on his needs.
    Hi Daejuan! Very good point you made. As much as the marketeers would like consumers to think that there are "one size fits all" solutions, I don't believe this to be the case. One should be prepared to do the research or consult a professional to properly determine their needs and evaluate solutions. This saves money, time, and frustration in the long run.

Cheers,
    Rick
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

The choice is Good VPS vs Low-end Dedicated Servers.

If I choose Good VPS, does it mean during burst time I get extra processing power from multi processors and maxed out available memory?

If this is the case then the choice is no brainer, bear in mind I only have one site.

Apologize in advance if it does sounds like stupid question, I am new to VPS & Dedicated Servers arena.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcb View Post
    The choice is Good VPS vs Low-end Dedicated Servers.

If I choose Good VPS, does it mean during burst time I get extra processing power from multi processors and maxed out available memory?

If this is the case then the choice is no brainer, bear in mind I only have one site.

Apologize in advance if it does sounds like stupid question, I am new to VPS & Dedicated Servers arena.
    Regardless of what you decided, be sure to get a fully managed server.

Depending on what virtualization software used, and how it's setup, you should be able to burst CPU & RAM.

You say you are ready to spend up to $130. As others suggested with less money
    VPS is your way. I'd like to focus on the point that their might be a time where
    you will grow and a dedicated serve will be the only choice and to get a good server
    at a good datacenter you will have to pay more than $250. So make sure you have
    a business model - a site that brings money.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcb View Post
    I need provider who can cater us with growing number of users.
    2. I am prepared to spend up to $130/month if it helps to stream down choices.
    Hello Michaelcb,

I would recommend you go with a dedicated box. You should be able to find something to fit your needs under the $130 mark, check the offers section here on WHT. This option would also make it easier to grow with your website. You can always upgrade your hardware in the server.
    David Infinger - Sago Networks -
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Load Balanced Clusters | 2 World Class Datacenters | Affordable Management
    (866) 366-3640 Extn. 3020
    AIM: SagoDavid | Yahoo: Sago_David | ICQ: 405357708

Personally, I would recommend a dedicated over a VPS. A dedicated, as has been said, allows more room for growth, but it also allows more room for customization. You have more latitude for the software you want to run as well as a greater variety of hardware to choose from. VPS can be a bit cookie cutter and may not be quite exactly what you need. Hosting can be like buying a suit. If it isn't tailored perfectly, it doesn't wear well.
    Ayse K. Account Executive,SingleHop, Inc.
    Managed Dedicated Hosting
    www.singlehop.com/1-866-817-2811x201
    ayse@singlehop.com