Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is your favorite Datacenter, and why?

I'm on the lookout for a new datacenter to put my boxes at. So I'm in search of opinions.

Which datacenter do you favor the most?

Aspects to consider.
    Price.
    Location.
    Security.
    Reliability.
    Support.

And please voice your opinion on some of these aspects if you can. Thank you in advance.

lol colo...

If i owned a hosting company, i would have gone with RackSpace San Antanio. Isnt that cheap but very stable

I like and we have had good experiences with NAC and Colo4Dallas.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Colo4Dallas is good.

Any of you heard of Telehouse, or IDTs place of operations?

If so, what do you think of them?

I'm very pleased with Hurricane Electric... the fact that they have a gigE line going to PAIX, less than a mile away from my house, doesn't hurt
    Jeremy » jeremy@frontdrive.com
    Front Drive » Advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

In my country ( England ) , Telehouse has a very nice Data-Center in Docklands, London - Best place to be

NAC is good
    InterNAP is Extreamly good !!
    Unlimited Space & Bandwidth
    http://localhost/
    Providing hosting since 17/99/3003

Prior to our own, and IF I didn't require ourselves to be within minutes of the Data Center, I would have chosen RackSpace.com

I've always admired RackSpace and have heard many compliments from those located there.
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

What about GlobalCompass or anyone else in 56marietta? I've always thought that 56marietta was the best place to be.
    "Last year, some resourceful software enthusiasts cracked Sony Music's proprietary technology simply by scribbling around the edges of the disc with a Magic Marker pen, thus enabling playback on any device." - news.com

I think if you want the best of the best then any Inflow datacenter is the best place to be. Unfortunately their pricing is not always compatible with business plans

http://www.meadgroup.com/ very nice facility. I have quotes for them around here somewhere.

voxtreme-matt,
    How reliable is NAC? I know you are using it. How often do you have server problems? Downtimes. Just want to know. How often are the servers at NAC, for you at least, have to be restarted?

Also. I MAY be wrong but does burst has anything to do with NAC?

Thanks.

Pihana Pacific is a good choice, not the cheapest around though. Sometimes they have specials $850/mo for a full rack.

You will find their datacenters on the west coast and in Japan.
    I like to help

Originally posted by WebmastTroy
    What about GlobalCompass or anyone else in 56marietta? I've always thought that 56marietta was the best place to be.
    Global has made some BIG improvements just very recently.... the connections there are awesome.

They've done some big enhancements to their network:

http://www.globalcompass.com/network.htm

check out their bw graphs:

http://www.globalcompass.com/network-stats.htm

Another impossible best question....

Depends on your answer to several questions....

Who is your target customer?

What is your level of experience?

Here, we see almost all the problems of any center exposed and sometimes lose perspective. For instance, no one mentioned DV2. Yet, I have servers with well over 100 days of uptime and have never been unable to reach any server I have there. No one has yet mentioned VO, but they also have a good reputation. Likewise, no one mentions Rackshack. Yet, they played a major role in lowering the pricing for all of us, regardless of where we are. And, for the right situation, they provide a true value. Other centers like Exchange in San Francisco and SDColo provide excellent service, but don't have many users here on the board. Rackshack has an impeccable reputation. Yet, for certain uses would be cost prohibitive.

Guess what I am saying is there is no perfect data center, but there are many excellent ones. To determine the one most appropriate for your use, you must first define your use and then evaluate against your requirements. For instance, Dixiesys and Deb decided they wanted if close at hand and have been very happy with their decisions. I, on the other hand, use centers throughout the country. Also, some centers may be great for a while and then deteriorate. Just don't get misled by the negatives on this board, as many of us are quite happy with our providers.

dialtone.com
    cybercon.com

Originally posted by PhilKali
    Any of you heard of Telehouse, or IDTs place of operations?

If so, what do you think of them?
    Don't know about telehouse, but here in Newark NJ, we got IDT ( Which I did a multi-media deal with 2 years ago ) , I got a tour of some of thier facilities. Nice and clean and organized. plus they got some solid structure. Many pipes.

but if you can afford it. Go to Equinix, rent your own cage and place everything for self management. Expensive on the floor space but you have access to every real tier 1, tier2, and tier3 carrier ( AOL is a tier 2 or 3 I forgot ) and you can get some good peering arangement if you got a atleast 1 gigabit of transit ( about 1 solid oc -48's worth of transit ) or some very specific local transit then you don't need so much.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

He.net =)

Nac I had very good network uptime

DV2 is promising as a stable network

But my money is on my own database under my desk =)
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Other then ours,

Equinx , now that is sweet.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Originally posted by JBIZ718
    Other then ours,

Equinx , now that is sweet.
    do tell, I never hear anything about then that is not positive. the only bad thing is that they are expensive, but then again, they seem to be worth while.

plus if I reclal right you are in one of there cages.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

My experience w/ INetU has been great. Their datacenter is 25 mins from me and I visited it twice... Very nice complex. Not cheap, not expensive, just right.

VERY friendly people on the phone to talk to...

verio sterling

I'd have to say the most impressive DC i've seen is the Verio premier datacenter in sterling.

Im taking a tour of ATT tomorrow, but i don't think they can come close.

Equinix is relativly expensive on a per rack charge or per cage charge. But keep in mind where you make up on the savings is the 60-70 carriers that are centralled in there datacenter.

Plus it is 100% neutral and premium. I do not have space there but have a few servers at a company called www.servercentral.net

One thing with equinix is though it may be more expensive you will never worry about power or connectivity in there.

U pay for what you get.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Originally posted by AceWeb
    voxtreme-matt,
    How reliable is NAC? I know you are using it. How often do you have server problems? Downtimes. Just want to know. How often are the servers at NAC, for you at least, have to be restarted?

Also. I MAY be wrong but does burst has anything to do with NAC?

Thanks.
    NAC is pretty reliable, the odd outage here and there but nothing major, and speed is always very impressive....

Server reliability isn't really related to NAC, we've all had hds go bad, etc, but this is a hardware and not NAC issue.

For us, servers are restarted on a pretty infrequent basis, normally because we have no need to.

Burst, as far as I'm aware, doesn't have anything to do with NAC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast