Server Tech receptacles

Does anyone use Server Tech products? http://servertech.com/

I didn't even know about this company until I saw one of their PDU in somebody's cabinet in the datacenter.

They don't list any prices or vendors, I emailed them waiting for reply.

One thing that caught my eye was the number of additional outlets per strip. We never daisy chain out PDUs so even though we have the power to put more servers per circuit we never could. It has at least 3-4 more outlets than Raritan PX and APC, which means we can put 3-4 more servers per circuit.

How are their products? The look pretty robust from what I saw in the cabinet.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

I know a couple of companies that use them and last I spoke to them they seemed pretty happy. I know they're a lot cheaper than APC for sure...

Dan

Oh...cheap doesn't usually translate to long lasting or good quality.

But quality ones have 20-21 outlets, like Raritan and APC, but these guys have 24, so they may be pushing it?

It has a digital display and stuff on the PDU itself, just like the APC and Raritan ones.

I also wonder how to HTTP/SSH interface is. The APC ones are pretty neat, ssh and http.

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    Oh...cheap doesn't usually translate to long lasting or good quality.

But quality ones have 20-21 outlets, like Raritan and APC, but these guys have 24, so they may be pushing it?

It has a digital display and stuff on the PDU itself, just like the APC and Raritan ones.

I also wonder how to HTTP/SSH interface is. The APC ones are pretty neat, ssh and http.
    APC AP7930 and AP7830 have 24 outlets.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am actually looking at the 208v receptacles .

By the way, I looked at the http demo of Server Tech receptacles, seems to have all the features that APC and raritan have, but the GUI could be a bit better. Not sure how the ssh cli interface is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am actually looking at the 208v receptacles .

By the way, I looked at the http demo of Server Tech receptacles, seems to have all the features that APC and raritan have, but the GUI could be a bit better. Not sure how the ssh cli interface is though.
    OK, then the AP7940 and AP7840 208v strips also have 24 outlets...
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Ah, hmmm I guess I just saw the 21 part and assumed 21 outlets.

I see the difference between the outlets, the 21 outlets have vertical holes and the other 3 have horizontal holes....

So I can just get the 21 power cables for the vertical hole ones and 3 power cables for the horizontal holes and I will be able to use all 24 outlets?

By the way, the AP7940 says "Overload protection, NO" but the AP7941 says "overload protection, YES", so basically the AP7941 has a circuit breaker and AP7940 doesnt?
    Last edited by HNLV; 04-21-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    OK, then the AP7940 and AP7840 208v strips also have 24 outlets...
    The AP7940 only has 21 "normal" outlets, of type C13.

There are 3 larger C19 outlets - I am not sure if you can get a cable that will let you hook this up to a server (C14) but it wouldn't be very common. You can get an 8-port 1U unit that will connect to this though.
    Tranquil Hosting

Well I need them to be 0u actually because I will be putting 2 of these, so getting 6 1U seems they will take a lot of space and might not be economical.

But, isint a server's outlet C13?

So I would be needing a C13 -> C20 for those 3 special outlets? http://www.stayonline.com/iec-c20-c13-power-cords.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by TQ Mark View Post
    The AP7940 only has 21 "normal" outlets, of type C13.

There are 3 larger C19 outlets - I am not sure if you can get a cable that will let you hook this up to a server (C14) but it wouldn't be very common. You can get an 8-port 1U unit that will connect to this though.
    Those cables are a bit hard to find, but we've been able to find them at various online stores, then you have 24 ports.

The AP7940 does have a breaker, but for a single circuit, the AP7941 has two breakers, each a 15A breaker. I believe that means the AP7940 would let you use more than the rated power on an individual circuit, while the AP7941 would not. I doubt that is much of a concern in a data center though, especially if you're running out of power outlets when you have 20 of them.

I just tried the cli version of server tech's pdu. I cant say I am impressed, compared to apc's, but it does the job at the same time.

Except for the interface part, these are what I like in server tech's that apc cant offer.

1) 24 outlets, all same type.

2) ability to reboot dual-psu servers.

3) ability to connect 2 PDUs so that they can be controlled from 1 IP.

4)Gives temp and humidity readings.

But...

1) APC interface, cli, is much better.

2) APC supports SNMPv3, Server tech supports only SNMPv2. Doesnt SNMPv3 have better security features compared to v2?

I am leaning towards Server Tech cause I can get over the CLI, but I dont know how much the SNMPv3 is going to play a role in terms of us creating an interface.