Streaming Speeds

Im currently running a streaming media (video) site on a p4 3.0 GHz with 2 gigs of ram. I think its a 10mpbs unmetered port. It streams extremly slow, to the point where it lags every second. It does this even though their is only 6 people on, with loads of 200 it just freezes up. What configuration would be able to hold traffic of 200 people constantly. I was on a faster server with hostgator, their dedicated pro but i went through the bandwidth in 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by boom3131 View Post
    Im currently running a streaming media (video) site on a p4 3.0 GHz with 2 gigs of ram. I think its a 10mpbs unmetered port. It streams extremly slow, to the point where it lags every second. It does this even though their is only 6 people on, with loads of 200 it just freezes up. What configuration would be able to hold traffic of 200 people constantly. I was on a faster server with hostgator, their dedicated pro but i went through the bandwidth in 5 days.
    I was looking at my bandwidth usage graph and it peaks at 4M/s

What bitrate is the video stream? If you're on a 10Mbit port, theres a specific number of streams you can handle at a given bitrate.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    What bitrate is the video stream? If you're on a 10Mbit port, theres a specific number of streams you can handle at a given bitrate.
    The Video is streaming at a bitrate of 512? Do you suggest i lower it? How will this effect quality? Thank You

At a bitrate of 512kbps on a 10Mbps pipe, you can handle at most 15 or 16 viewers before you have serious buffering issues.

You need over 100Mbps to take on 200 viewers. If I were you, I would talk to a CDN or company that has experience in streaming to better judge your requirements.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    At a bitrate of 512kbps on a 10Mbps pipe, you can handle at most 15 or 16 viewers before you have serious buffering issues.

You need over 100Mbps to take on 200 viewers. If I were you, I would talk to a CDN or company that has experience in streaming to better judge your requirements.

Ok Thank You, so you are telling me even with 100 mbps port speed i still wont be able to obtain decent streaming speeds

It could your be your duplex settings are mis-matched at this point since you are not hitting 10Mbps yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    It could your be your duplex settings are mis-matched at this point since you are not hitting 10Mbps yet.
    Could you explain to me how i would go about fixing this or testing this issue. Thank You

Are you on a 10Mbps capped port or a 100Mbps port?
    You can use mii-tool or ethtool to configure your NIC to match the same port speed settings as your switch port.

Quote Originally Posted by boom3131 View Post
    Could you explain to me how i would go about fixing this or testing this issue. Thank You
    you might have to talk to your provider to have them change a switch setting as well.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test