Thread: ClamAV problems

ClamAV problems

My hosting provider (which will go unnamed because I doubt they would appreciate me broadcasting the fact that their server-based antivirus software isn't working properly) is experiencing almost daily email delivery failures on multiple shared servers because ClamAV stops working. They say they are running the latest stable versions of exim and ClamAV, but that "there is no guarantee...that the clamav error will not happen again". Right around the time this started happening, there was an article on the ComputerWorld web site (http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9077638) about a ClamAV patch being released to fix a security vulnerability. I'm wondering whether that patch was buggy, and whether other hosting providers are having problems with ClamAV. (It would probably be a good idea not to mention any providers by name because of the security implications.)

There was a clamAV update on cpanel hosts which mostly made them fail in all the servers that we had (as example) we had to edit the configuration of ClamAV and then restart Exim, however, you may want to contact directly to your host about this
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

It is as @Jedito says; Some new settings in Clam AV 0.93 makes certain configuration settings obsolete and causes clamd to not start.

Imho, this latest update wasn't released in a good manner, as on certain boxes it was giving lib-errors as well, and that "out of the blue".

"My hosting provider (which will go unnamed because I doubt they would appreciate me broadcasting the fact that their server-based antivirus software isn't working properly) is experiencing almost daily email delivery failures on multiple shared servers..."

So you don't want to upset your hosting provider, so you would rather just let them attract unsuspecting potential customers that will face this nightmarish problem. Um...isn't that sort of the whole point of a forum like this? To get unvarnished truth about web hosting companies?

Or did I miss something?
    Web Hosting Talk RULES!

Quote Originally Posted by cpureview View Post
    So you don't want to upset your hosting provider...
    Oh, I'm trying to get their attention plenty enough via their own channels. But I'm trying to take the high road here and not make a bad situation worse by telling all the would-be hackers out there that a particular provider is vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBill View Post
    Oh, I'm trying to get their attention plenty enough via their own channels. But I'm trying to take the high road here and not make a bad situation worse by telling all the would-be hackers out there that a particular provider is vulnerable.
    That is a good approach, imo.

Take a look at this thread, some ClamAV discussion might be helpful to you.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=686852
    tanfwc
    Singapore Managed Colocation
    Singapore BGP Announcement

Not the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Some new settings in Clam AV 0.93 makes certain configuration settings obsolete and causes clamd to not start.
    Here's the latest from my provider's support department after they reviewed this thread: "Unfortunately, our issue is different. clamd keeps freezing using 100% CPU and preventing email from being processed by the server."

Does anybody else have experience with these symptoms or have suggestions on how to deal with them?

Hmm, and they can't do a verbose output of the daemon? (To search for what is causing the issue.) One gets chills when reading this from a hosting provider...