Who recommends Moniker.com?

Hi,

I have some special domain which I wanted to be managed by another registrar. I was browsing through WHT and I found Moniker, which was always suggested between the "usual suspects".

But I am disappointed!

Interface: It sucks. I permanently have to login and login again, you're getting kicked out after a few minutes of inactivity. The redirect process to the page you wanted to go to before logging in is mostly broken.

Transfer: I initiated the transfer process for my domain. At first, I entered a wrong auth code, so the transfer got rejected. I updated the EPP code at Moniker's interface, but it didn't look like that the transfer was going to restart automatically - the status remained the same even after 12 hours, so I opened a ticket to ask them if they can poke the transfer process again. I told them that I added the new auth code and asked if they can reinitiate the transfer, *they* told me how to add the new auth code. Great.
    After writing them that I already did that, they only said that the transfer will start "automatically" again within the next 24 hours. I don't know if it had had started again, after clicking a second time the registrant verification link, the transfer was reinitiated. They could have tell me that...

Transfer reports: Another point of criticism, the every-morning e-mail reports. I'm feeling like 2001 when I get a standardized e-mail, with the most important part attached as HTML attachment which looks like 1:1 copied from the website. Oh my god!

From my point of view, Moniker isn't recommendable, prices may be ok but the interface sucks and their whole gateway doesn't seem to be up to date.

While some things can change, I recommend them...for now.

Sorry to read your experience wasn't good. But at least you tried.

I always have a lot of problems transferring out of Moniker. I know what to do, but rarely is the transfer successful the first time. It's annoying.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    I always have a lot of problems transferring out of Moniker. I know what to do, but rarely is the transfer successful the first time. It's annoying.
    So why keep purchasing from them?
    EZHostz.Biz (Established in 2003) a DotJunction.Com Company.
    EZHostz.Biz <-> Reseller Info Domain Name Sales, WebHosting, Email Only Hosting, & Much More.
    Providers of Directi & Enom Reseller Accounts.

I don't. I keep purchasing from other domainers that do
    Signature Under Construction.

I guess I'm one of those lucky people that has never had a problem and enjoys their interface....

I haven't encountered any trouble transferring away from Moniker, but I move my domains out from there because of their "too tight" security measures. I also don't like their interface. If you ask me, they are not particularly bad, more like ... overrated.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

I think the interface could use a visual revamp, but I've found it the easiest to work with of any registrar I've tried.

@nameslave: Who do you prefer?

I think there service are improved now but the domain prices are not cheaper as compare to other registrar.

I don't really see any reason to use Moniker when there are much better alternatives. Personally, I think Joker or Namecheap are both great registrars.

I would recommend moniker, they are a quite secure registrar..

I am thinking about Moniker. I already created a free account.

They say that they are the most secure registrar out there. Is it true? I would pay more for registration if they are really more secure.

They also offer whois protection. But will you remain the domain owner if you use their whois protection? Or is it the same as Domains by proxy, where Domains by proxy will be the owner?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader99 View Post
    I am thinking about Moniker. I already created a free account.

They say that they are the most secure registrar out there. Is it true? I would pay more for registration if they are really more secure.

They also offer whois protection. But will you remain the domain owner if you use their whois protection? Or is it the same as Domains by proxy, where Domains by proxy will be the owner?
    You will be the owner still. Domains by proxy is just an anonymous email address/server that will keep you from getting spam email from people browsing who is.

Quote Originally Posted by nicedomains View Post
    You will be the owner still. Domains by proxy is just an anonymous email address/server that will keep you from getting spam email from people browsing who is.
    NO! If you use Domains by proxy, the legal domain owner become:
    Name: Private, Registration
    Organization: Domains by Proxy, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    I don't. I keep purchasing from other domainers that do
    So which registrar would you recommend?

- Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader99 View Post
    NO! If you use Domains by proxy, the legal domain owner become:
    Name: Private, Registration
    Organization: Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    Note that if you use Moniker Privacy Services, then same case like Domains by Proxy: Moniker will be the owner of the domain, not you.

Example: http://whois.domaintools.com/domainsdoneright.net
    The owner here is "Moniker Privacy Services".

Moniker is OK

Hi,

I'm OK with Moniker so far.

I had very bad experiences with 1 & 1, esp. when trying to transfer out! I used them for 3 years, but they didn't seem to care. Extremely hard to talk with a real person... I think they're in Germany, so there's the time difference, language barrier, etc.

I used GoDaddy for a while - they're ok. But I figure we're paying for all the marketing, the babes "Big Bald Daddy" hangs out with, race car organization for what's her name, etc. Plus, he shoots elephants for fun. I'm no tree hugger, but... really!

One of my domain names got "snagged" by Moniker's parent co., which uses automatic fishing to get expiring ones. They agreed to make a deal with me to get mine back for $30, which wasn't bad, considering.

They automatically transfered it to Moniker. I was going to transfer out, but their email CS was so helpful and quickly responsive, even though I wanted to quit them. Plus, their renewal price was competitive, so I just renewed.

I did turn OFF auto-renew. I hate that. But I can understand why some people like it.

Moniker seems to have limited access to controls, but it's set up the way I want it (catch-all email address, etc). So... I'll plug along with them unless I see something better.

BTW, I've heard good things about Name.com. That and NameCheap would be ones I'd try if Moniker didn't work out.

I'll eventually pull all my domains away from GoDaddy. The bells & whistles, expensive marketing, race car team & dead elephants don't do a thing for me.

Just give me a domain and remind me when to renew. It's not so hard!

Moniker may be able to do that.

Dan

And what if you have unusual domains like .com.au and .to - what do you do, use a 2nd registrar?