vps - cpanel or plesk

I'm thinking of taking out a new VPS but am unsure of whether to go with CPanel or Plesk.

I have used CPanel with WHM & it works really well. I have read that it does take up a lot of memory & as I'm going for a low end VPS - with 348mb to start with, I was wondering about Plesk, which is also offered by the hosts.

Is Plesk more memory-friendly?

Does Plesk operate in the same way as CPanel - offering Admin as in WHM & easily configurable client panels?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cpanel.
    If you have used it before, stick with it!
    they use about the same amount of memory, and you should just barely be able to run either of them with 384MB of RAM. I would suggest at a bare minumum to run either, 512MB of RAM
    -Jacob
    iWF Hosting - 5 US datacenters offering shared, reseller, dedicated, VPS and Colo
    California | Oregon | Iowa | North Carolina | Nevada

Thanks Jacob - nice to get an idea of the memory - & yes, more memory is clearly the logical way.

I'm on another host with a VPS at the moment - very highly thought of by all & excellent support - but from the beginning some of my sites have timed out when trying to contact them - not all the time but enough to be really annoying. It's not that they're down, it's just that it takes a time to get through. I've tried on different IPs & different browsers but sometimes it happens. I've also checked it out with a few different site speed tests & all is fine there.

I want to resell & it seems to be a recipe for disaster to continue with them if this keeps happening. Could it be related to the amount of memory I have - 348 there as well.
    Or I was thinking it might be a bottleneck with the hosts. What do you think?

You should try DirectAdmin as well.

I was once a big cPanel fan and after played around with DA a littel while, I decided to stick with it.

-ys-

Thumbs up cpanel

Hello,

My vote for cpanel.

cpanel is the best.

Thankyou,

Devang
    Website Designing : www.itsy.in
    Hosting : www.speedhosting.in
    Call me Mumbai, India : +91 9819 88 0101 / 022 4015 4015

Thanks - with the new hosts I've only got the choice between CPanel & Plesk.
    I have heard that DirectAdmin uses minimal memory.

Cpanel wins with both hands tied behind.

second is direct admin

plesk is difficult to understand (for me)
    Website Designing : www.itsy.in
    Hosting : www.speedhosting.in
    Call me Mumbai, India : +91 9819 88 0101 / 022 4015 4015

Thanks all - looks like I'll stick with CPanel.

I see there is the option, within WHM, of transferring accounts from other servers - has anyone tried this?

I'll test it out but was wondering how reliable it is.
    For example I have lots of Moodle installations, which run off MySQL, - wondering if all will go well.

cPanel/WHM is probably the best choice for you (though I've nothing against Plesk) as you are already familiar with it.

There's an upgrade to cPanel coming through some time soon (it's currently available on the EDGE tree, and therefore not really viable for a production VPS) which radically reduces the amount of memory used.

I tested this on a spare 256Mb VPS and got memory usage down to just below 128Mb with Fantastico and RVSkins on there too, so the suggestion already made for a VPS with 512Mb RAM is definitely viable.

Site transfers from one cPanel/WHM to another are a breeze. If it's a large site and a slow connection you might get timeouts, but then it's just as easy to run a backup within the domain's cPanel on the outgoing server, SSH that to the /home directory of your new VPS, and then just use WHM to restore it. MySQL etc are not an issue, it all transfers or restores nicely.

Hard Question you asked.

cPanel is by far a better control panel, but it uses a TON of memory.

Pleask on the otherhand has less features, and a poor graphic interface, but it uses alot less memory.

I guess it all depends on the server you are putting the control panel on. I personally like DirectAdmin or LxAdmin

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jobe View Post
    Thanks Jacob - nice to get an idea of the memory - & yes, more memory is clearly the logical way.

I'm on another host with a VPS at the moment - very highly thought of by all & excellent support - but from the beginning some of my sites have timed out when trying to contact them - not all the time but enough to be really annoying. It's not that they're down, it's just that it takes a time to get through. I've tried on different IPs & different browsers but sometimes it happens. I've also checked it out with a few different site speed tests & all is fine there.

I want to resell & it seems to be a recipe for disaster to continue with them if this keeps happening. Could it be related to the amount of memory I have - 348 there as well.
    Could you possibly share your host's name with us? I'm having the same problems with my VPS host and I have 512 mb memory.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by beadsboy View Post
    Hello,

My vote for cpanel.

cpanel is the best.

Thankyou,

Devang
    You Should Stick With It ..

I'm probably going with ServInt, the Signature VPS plan with 768 memory.
    In all other aspects I'm very happy with my present host & am hesitant about mentioning them as it may well not be their problem at all. I wouldn't want to criticise them for no reason.

Netnibble - have tried transferring an account & all went fine but the password seems to have changed & I can't get into the control panel. Any ideas? Is the password change normal?

we've tried both and cPanel has been the winner in our book

Plesk of course should run smoother on Virtuozzo but
    cPanel gets better and better.

AS very important point is
    the ability to EASILY transfer accounts from cPanel to another cPanel - makes life very easy - especially when absorbing large numbers of accounts
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart

Try

KeepAlive Off

Or raising MaxClients if you have the ram to spare as that is sounding like the behavior of hitting maxclients, if the sites are not real visitor sticky, you can usually solve it by just turning off keepalives

also, check if this is really the cause with

grep MaxClients /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log

from shell
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Thanks mitgib.
    Sounds good - being a newbie to the VPS a couple of directions to the settings you mention would be useful, if you have the time. Thanks.

<<have tried transferring an account & all went fine but the password seems to have changed & I can't get into the control panel. Any ideas? Is the password change normal?>>

I have never had an issue with the password changing. It almost always keeps the same password for that account as it was on the old server. If it does do that, just change the password via WHM root and ignore it, but again never seen it do that before.

As far as your timing out at random times, I would try what mitgib suggests, but I would also look at your RAM usage. It may be due to how many accounts you have on the server, what they are running, or just processes (like if you have RVSKINS, etc).
    Crissic Solutions, LLC - Affordable VPS Solutions.
    Our business is based on Honesty & Transparency!

I've hardly got anything on the server - a couple of dummy sites & one for a mailing list that runs out of the cgi-bin - the reason in the first place for taking on a VPS - my previous shared hosting didn't like the 10.000 mails being sent out - even though they were in small batches.

In Virtuozzo in the Resources section it tells me that the System Usage is at 89.29% - or is this what is available? If the former, it is extremely high considering nothing is actually running at the moment.

I've hardly got anything on the server - a couple of dummy sites & one for a mailing list that runs out of the cgi-bin - the reason in the first place for taking on a VPS - my previous shared hosting didn't like the 10.000 mails being sent out - even though they were in small batches.

In Virtuozzo in the Resources section it tells me that the System Usage is at 89.29% - or is this what is available? If the former, it is extremely high considering nothing is actually running at the moment.
    First think I'd do is move that mailing list to mailman within cPanel. If you can grab the list of subscribers 1 per line, it will be easy to mass subscribe them. A large mailque will cause pretty high loads too. Plesk might actually be a better solution for you as it uses qmail and ezmlm for lists, and ya know, that old spammer proggie has come along way, but was written to be fast and efficient, exim is not so fast, defiantly not efficient, but very thorough as a MTA should be.

Some other things to check since this is looking more like a mail induced problem at the root of it all, check out what domains are not accepting mail, from shell

exim -bp | exiqsumm

This will list how many recipients for what domains are sitting in the queue, if you see any over 4 days old sitting there, chances are pretty high they will never accept your mail, so remove it. To mass remove old mail (4 days old in this example)

exiqgrep -i -o 345600 | xargs exim -Mrm

or just remove a single domains queue

exiqgrep -i -r domain | xargs exim -Mrm

You can combine the two as well, I like to keep yahoo trimmed to 4 hours old for the paid to read email sites I host, and yahoo is the pits when it comes to accepting email in a timely fashion

exiqgrep -i -o 14400 -r yahoo | xargs exim -Mrm

Also clean up all the bounces and frozen messages

exiqgrep -i -z | xargs exim -Mrm

As for my earlier post, check if you are hitting MaxClients, if so, turn off KeepAlives by adding the following line to

/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

KeepAlive Off

Heck, just turn off KeepAlive anyway, that will speed things up alot, only really busy sites with the need for lots of connections really get any benefit from KeepAlives

I recall you saying this VPS has 512mb of ram, so also check you httpd.conf file for the line MaxClients and with 512mb of ram, 128 would be a fairly safe value

And since this is cPanel, distill the file when you've finished editing with

/usr/local/cpanel/bin/apache_conf_distiller --update

Then restart apache with

/scripts/restartsrv_httpd

If working from the shell sounds absolutely mortifying, check the offers section for cPanel admin offers. But with a little care, and some research of the cPanel forum, you can probably accomplish this.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Wow - great forums these - thank you for the ideas mitgib - will attempt to follow them up.

Will still change hosting companies I think & start fresh to see if it's any different - the same is being offered but I'll go for more memory.

Ah...between cPanel and Plesk, both are equally memory consuming. Go with cPanel if you have to.

Honestly I would use DirectAdmin, especially on a VPS, but I can understand why you cant, o well.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com