Budget EU hosting with Jailed SSH?

Something like 500MB/10GB. Know any hosts?

Your requirements are reasonable. Do you prefer it located on England or any other EU country is ok?

Remember that you might be required to fax or send some scanned documentation for proof of identity for security purposes in order to receive ssh access.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

While i am sure you will find a host which can provide you with jailed shell, my first question would always be; why ?

There is not much you can not do in other ways, and an extensive knowledge of shell access is needed to be able to work with it.

Like cristibighea a lot of hosts will request additional verification.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

what do you need the shell for ?
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Just to use as a tunnel

I that case i think you will find it a lot harder, there are not many providers who offer you this, this is like proxying which is mostly against the TOS of the providers.

Note that even while you have a jailed shell it is not necessary that they open port-forwarding in ssh. So be specific in your request for this towards the provider you choose.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    I that case i think you will find it a lot harder, there are not many providers who offer you this, this is like proxying which is mostly against the TOS of the providers.

Note that even while you have a jailed shell it is not necessary that they open port-forwarding in ssh. So be specific in your request for this towards the provider you choose.

Correct. Most webhosts offer ssh2 access to make it easier for their customers to delete, move or edit files, setup crontab and don't allow outgoing connections from their servers. Maybe you can find something like that from a shell provider.

Okay, anybody know any good European shell providers?

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    While i am sure you will find a host which can provide you with jailed shell, my first question would always be; why ?

There is not much you can not do in other ways, and an extensive knowledge of shell access is needed to be able to work with it.

Like cristibighea a lot of hosts will request additional verification.
    It's essential for me.

You only need a few Unix commands to make it worthwhile - not extensive knowledge.

I wget files from source direct to host, rather than download to my PC and then upload to host. I untar, move and rename files. I edit files on the host rather than download, edit and upload. I set permissions on whole directory hierarchies with one command...

That's way quicker than using FTP and CPanel.

You might want to consider Evohosting (UK based), they offer jailed shell access and have a pretty good package.

Quote Originally Posted by brookie View Post
    It's essential for me.

You only need a few Unix commands to make it worthwhile - not extensive knowledge.

I wget files from source direct to host, rather than download to my PC and then upload to host. I untar, move and rename files. I edit files on the host rather than download, edit and upload. I set permissions on whole directory hierarchies with one command...

That's way quicker than using FTP and CPanel.
    For some every command they need to type can be to much, for others it can be a great option, i would be the last person on earth who says its easier for me to do it from cpanel or ftp, i love shell. But the OP is not needing this for these tasks he is looking to make a cheap proxy by forwarding ports, see why i asked in the first place?
    »

Maybe he just wants a ssh tunnel from pc to server?
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

I also want it to use wget/unzip

unitedhosting.co.uk get good reviews here and offer ssh.

I don't think their's is CPanel but if you're competent at the command line the control panel is probably of less concern to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Looie View Post
    I also want it to use wget/unzip
    As long as you use it for helping you with your website maintenance I think every webhost that offers ssh2 will be ok with that. If you need it for running background processes and tunnels it's better to find a shell provider (don't know any in europe).