looking for dedicated server for approx 40

Hi,

I am a new member of the forums.

I have been using a shared hosting providor called bytemark for a few years now and although their service has been brilliant I am starting to outgrow the hosting I have with them
    ( 150MB ram 10GB Disc space 50GB bandwidth 2GB backup space)

I have been looking at ovh and their service looked to be pretty good for the price until I ready some horror stories about their support.

I currently host about 8 sites on the space but none of them really generate much traffic. I am hoping though that 2 or 3 of the sites might start doing quite well.

2 of the sites in particular are going to be based on Mysql databases.

I also host my own mail server on the hosting I have atm. it hosts about 10-20 email addresses at any one time but this may be increased if things take off on some of the sites.

Basically I want to get a decent dedicated server for about 40 uk pounds a month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thats a quite low budget, I would consider approx 200$ for a nice dedicetaed server.

Hiring a machine which gets over-loaded easily would let you spend more in the long run, so look for a dedicated box either from own managed provider like softlayer or hunt more till you get a decent managed box in your budget.

Have you take a look at BurstNET?
    I believe they have plans that fit your budget.

May I know do you need managed or unmanaged dedicated server?
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Do you have a specific location in mind? It would help us point you in the right direction.
    Current Status: Coming up with ideas for a new SaaS.

Maybe a VPS would suit your needs, would certainly suit your budget.

Location isnt too important Basically I want something cheap and good

I dont know the difference between managed and un-managed.

Basically I`d want the server to be a linux install that I configure how I want.

I have been looking at something like this
    cari.net/iBizPanel/PurchaseAdd?productoffer_id=47294;attrib_cpu_type=CORE2DUO-02-DCE;.cgifields=

or
    ovh.co.uk/products/kimsufi08xl.xml

The sticking point with cari.net for me is the 75 dollar fee to install debian on it.

Any suggestions similar to the above?

maybe consider starting out with a vps for that budget http://www.easyvps.co.uk/?page_id=3

if you can spend more maybe try http://www.rapidswitch.com/dedicatedservers.aspx

Basically I want to get a decent dedicated server for about 40 uk pounds a month
    You won't get anything close to what most providers would consider a 'decent' server for that budget. For some providers in 'decent' London datacentres, it costs *more* than that for just the space and power, never mind the bandwidth, support, server hardware, network infrastructure, spares etc.

There is absolutely nothing in your initial post which suggests you need anything other than a reseller account with a good quality provider. At very most, a VPS. If you need anything done other than a default install, or any odd stuff doing with the server after the install, you should expect to pay anywhere between 50 to 150 per hour for an engineer's time.

Kris
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

I would recommend corenetworks. Last I checked, they are out of their cheapest server (which I have had, and been happy w/ for over a year), but their next server is $50 and should meet what you need.

Even i'd suggest VPS for you.. Benefits: You can get much more space than existing without the trouble of managing a dedicated server... You'll get god support even in that budget.. and you will have full control just like a dedicated box.. later when you outgrow a vps, you can move to dedicated
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Ive been using a Virtual server for a few years and just thought it would be a good idea that now I have the extra cash available I would invest in a dedicated server.

I as thinking that by spending about 40-50 pounds a month on a dedicated server it would give me a lot more freedom and give me chances for improvement at a later date.

From some of the hosts I have looked at there seem to be 2 main compromises I can see at the price and i`m not sure which is more likely to cause problems

I can either get a pentium 4 dual with 2 gig of ram or the other option is a core2duo with 1 gig or ram.

What would be more important the extra ram or the extra cpu ?

Looking around there do seem to be a lot of options with my budget, I can see where people here are coming from about going for a VPS but I really want to take the step up to dedicated hosting.

I dont really care where the hosting is. Uk might be best as the majority of my users will be from the uk although I have seen some really good options in the us.
    I have some friends who are interesting in buying hosting space off me which is another reason I reckon a dedicated server would be a better option.
    Last edited by kopite; 04-20-2008 at 05:16 AM.

if you looking at uk server then try rapidswitch.com they are good

Kopite, what will you be running on the server?

kopite,

With respect, moving from shared hosting to a server that fits within your budget is more like downgrading. Whilst it's "nice" to have your own server, it brings with it the responsibilities of managing it. If you're not familiar with server admin you'll need to extend your budget to have someone help you.

It's already been suggested in here that a VPS might be a better solution. Getting a VPS gives you the opportunity to learn the admin side and many VPS suppliers offer you management as part of the package if you bolt on a control panel. That way, you get to learn what administering a server involves, but you have "free" 24/7 support to fall back on.

You'll find a decent managed VPS within your budget. Take a look in the offers section here - If you want it nearer to you (in the UK or Europe) check SolarVPS and EuroVPS for a starting point - both have excellent reputations.

My current Hosting with Bytemark is managed by me. The box was set up with basic debian install and then all the stuff needed(mysql, php, apache, exim etc) I have installed myself and configured myself. In regards to getting help managing the server as long as the network connection is there and its powered on I`m pretty confident I can manage the server. I think some ppl might have got confused about my current hosting. Its not a cpanel like hosting its a virtual server with 150 mb ram and 10 gb space. it came with debian installed but nothing else. bytemark.co.uk/page/Live/hosting/virtualmachine/

I have found a dedicated server with the following specs:
    The processor is a Core2Duo running at 2x2.53GHz, with 3GB of RAM and 500GB hard drive. Bandwidth 100 Mbps, Traffic included unlimited

for 46 pounds.

THey also offer reimaging for free.

From what I can gather a VPS is just another name for a virtual machine which is what I currently have.

The Dedicated server I have mentioned above seems to be a far better spec than VPS's I have seen and for a decent price.

Try some Dutch providers, you might succeed there...
    SuperRacks Ltd European Hosting
    We serve you with custom services
    Visit our website or ask for a custom quote
    Quality linux and Windows hosting, servers and collocation

Quote Originally Posted by kopite View Post
    Basically I want to get a decent dedicated server for about 40 uk pounds a month
    Decent, Server and 40 are unlikely to be found in the same sentence :p

You'll get some naff desktop on the end of and AOL dialup for that sort of price-range.

Why not just increase the size of your BM VPS to one capable of running what you need ? increasing your ram 4-fold would be a biggest performance change.

HostingUK.net http://hostinguk.net/services/bargainservers.asp
    have some servers in the same DC as ByteMark, from *about* 100/month
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

but is this spec not a lot better than VPS?

Core2Duo running at 2x2.53GHz,
    3GB of RAM
    500GB hard drive
    Bandwidth 100 Mbps
    Traffic included unlimited

for 46 pounds.

but is this spec not a lot better than VPS?
    Probably not, No. Your VPS is likely to have RAID, Dual Power Supplies, an offserver backup ...

Bandwidth 100 Mbps
    Traffic included unlimited
    for 46 pounds.
    2500/month of bandwidth for 46 - at that level I'd expect your uptime to be about 45 minutes on alternate wednesdays.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech View Post
    Probably not, No. Your VPS is likely to have RAID, Dual Power Supplies, an offserver backup ...

2500/month of bandwidth for 46 - at that level I'd expect your uptime to be about 45 minutes on alternate wednesdays.
    I'll agree with the bandwidth issue there, but a lot of "budget" VPS offerings certainly don't have raid or redundant power supplies - it's quite depressing.

In regards to your comment on not being able to get decent service for 40, that's only true in the... majority of cases. Wait, damn... that pretty much means you're right.

Fly-by-night hosts on AOL with sub-par hardware are giving us all a bad name.

PS: My money is on alternative mondays, not wednesdays.

The hosting with those claims is with OVH.

Looking over their site and speaking with people elsewhere seems to advise that their claims are true and they offer 100mbps access with no limit on the amount of bandwidth used a month.

ITs a month contract so I might set it up and see how things go if its back I can always cancel