Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    45

    Exclamation Namecheap Transfer - WOW!!

    After much research and pondering, I finally took the plunge and registered some domains I wanted with Namecheap. I also initiated a transfer of my only other domain I own from my current hosting company to myself (Namecheap). Let me tell you, the whole transfer process just blew me away!

    When you do a transfer, you are given the caveat by most registrars, including Namecheap, that the transfer can take up to 5 business days. I did this early Saturday morning. Here's how my transfer went:

    • 1:52AM Purchased new domains and began the transfer of my existing domain. I already had the domain unlocked, and had the EPP code from my hosting company.
    • 3:38AM Received email at my registrant email account of record asking for approval of the transfer
    • 4:15AM Approved request for domain to be transferred
    • 8:30AM Received email from Namecheap advising that the transfer had been completed
    • 8:45AM Checked my Namecheap account (before I saw the email above) and saw that the transfer had completed


    This was a 6 hour turnaround! Amazing!! This is the first transfer I've ever done, so maybe my expectations were low. And, my previous hosting company/registrar used Enom, and Namecheap is closely, or at least was recently close, to Enom, so perhaps there was something there that 'greased' the transaction?

    Regardless, I wanted to take the time to thank Namecheap here, as well as on their site, for the wonderful service. If this kind of service persists throughout my relationship with Namecheap, I'll probably be there a LONG TIME!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,795
    Sorry to curb your enthusiasm, but:

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...59#post4798359
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    45
    That's okay...I'm easily enthused!

    I guess I'm just so used to lackluster service everywhere these days, even below average service seems excellent. You have to admit, though, from so many other posts on this forum, things could have been a LOT worse!

    Bottom line, it made me happy. I'm still impressed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    405
    had three transfers this morning from NameCheap to eNom and within an hr we had received the approval emails to click to the link - I think everyone is getting better at this as the process becomes more automated
    Barak Hosting
    http://barakhosting.com
    Shared, VPS & Dedicated Hosting - Lunatic Support is what sets us apart

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    45
    My two biggest fears were:

    1. My hosting company/registrar giving me the same level of support with the transfer as they have been giving me in the past with my other support needs. That's why I'm moving my domain to a registrar, so I can move to another hosting company. Given their previous level of support, I expected the worst.

    2. Going with a registrar that was apt to 'have problems', or just not care whether it went through or not. There's one big one in particular that I intentionally avoided because of all the bad press I've read here and other places.

    I guess there's some reason people use a more expensive registrar when there's some just about giving domains away. I believe you get what you pay for, so I saved some money by going with Namecheap, but didn't go rock bottom.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dengwms View Post
    so maybe my expectations were low.
    Nah, they were probably realistic.

    Not meaning to also possibly douse your enthusiasm as well, but do a WHOIS lookup on the domain name/s and note the line registrar. If it's still eNom, then the domain name/s are in NameCheap's reseller (or whatever) account with them.

    Although NameCheap has since acquired their own registrar status, they're still maintaining their eNom reseller for their eNom-registered clients' convenience. That might explain why the somewhat faster-than-expected transfer.

    But...if the registrar is indeed NameCheap instead of eNom, then that's good to know anyway.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Nah, they were probably realistic.

    Not meaning to also possibly douse your enthusiasm as well, but do a WHOIS lookup on the domain name/s and note the line registrar. If it's still eNom, then the domain name/s are in NameCheap's reseller (or whatever) account with them.

    Although NameCheap has since acquired their own registrar status, they're still maintaining their eNom reseller for their eNom-registered clients' convenience. That might explain why the somewhat faster-than-expected transfer.

    But...if the registrar is indeed NameCheap instead of eNom, then that's good to know anyway.
    Yep... Enom.

    New domains, and transfer.

    Apparently the Dec 2007 announcement on their forums was a little premature. And the ICANN accreditation icon on their home page kinda completed the picture. And I thought I had thoroughly researched this deal!

    I guess it could be worse, but I'm not up to thinking about 'How?'s right now. At least I have direct control of my domains now... at least, I think I do.

  8. #8
    Nah, you'll be fine anyway. If (knock on wood) you encounter mission-critical issues, there's Richard K and a few more of their peeps here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    45
    To be honest, I don't really have any worries. I needed to find a registrar so I could register some new domains, and transfer a current domain away from my host, so I checked out as many registrars as I could. I picked Namecheap because of it's reputation, regardless of whether they've engaged their ICANN registration or not. I just didn't want to go with the big guy, because I had heard so many bad things about them.

    I think things will only get better at Namecheap anyway. Moving toward your own registrations is a good thing. And the whole process was as smooth as butter. Overall, I'm still very happy.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    Sorry to curb your enthusiasm, but:

    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...59#post4798359
    Funny how you'd link that to the post just above the one mentioning your own company....
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

    www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Funny how you'd link that to the post just above the one mentioning your own company....
    WHICH company?????? WHICH post?????? Do you even know what you are talking about??????
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by dengwms View Post
    After much research and pondering, I finally took the plunge and registered some domains I wanted with Namecheap. I also initiated a transfer of my only other domain I own from my current hosting company to myself (Namecheap). Let me tell you, the whole transfer process just blew me away!

    When you do a transfer, you are given the caveat by most registrars, including Namecheap, that the transfer can take up to 5 business days. I did this early Saturday morning. Here's how my transfer went:

    • 1:52AM Purchased new domains and began the transfer of my existing domain. I already had the domain unlocked, and had the EPP code from my hosting company.
    • 3:38AM Received email at my registrant email account of record asking for approval of the transfer
    • 4:15AM Approved request for domain to be transferred
    • 8:30AM Received email from Namecheap advising that the transfer had been completed
    • 8:45AM Checked my Namecheap account (before I saw the email above) and saw that the transfer had completed


    This was a 6 hour turnaround! Amazing!! This is the first transfer I've ever done, so maybe my expectations were low. And, my previous hosting company/registrar used Enom, and Namecheap is closely, or at least was recently close, to Enom, so perhaps there was something there that 'greased' the transaction?

    Regardless, I wanted to take the time to thank Namecheap here, as well as on their site, for the wonderful service. If this kind of service persists throughout my relationship with Namecheap, I'll probably be there a LONG TIME!
    Great turn around time from both the source and the receiving registrar.
    EZHostz.Biz (Established in 2003) a DotJunction.Com Company.
    EZHostz.Biz <-> Reseller Info Domain Name Sales, WebHosting, Email Only Hosting, & Much More.
    Providers of Directi & Enom Reseller Accounts.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by ebay-nut View Post
    Great turn around time from both the source and the receiving registrar.
    The current DELAY in transfer stems mostly from the losing registrar, which usually does NOT actively send out acknowledgement request email but rather let the other party wait out like 5 days. In other words, the gaining registrar has very little to do with this.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •