A good font (styling)

I`ve always been lazy using fixed sizes for fonts, but now that I use css for everything I guess I better start using em. Mmmmm, .em is the way to go? I`ve read for and against articles the last few days.

Just wondering what the popular font syles are these days? Most of my sites use Tahoma, don`t ask me why but I`ve always like that font. Whether others do I don`t know.

Font sizes, what`s a good size for a fixed layout of 980px, this particular site contains both static pages and a forum board. Do you try to maintain an even font size for your content, or have different sizes in different div containers for a bit of eye candy or just a change?

I`ve been messing around for a few days between various styles and font sizes, I just can`t seem to find something I am happy with!

Quote Originally Posted by magicvorlon View Post
    I`ve always been lazy using fixed sizes for fonts, but now that I use css for everything I guess I better start using em. Mmmmm, .em is the way to go? I`ve read for and against articles the last few days.

Just wondering what the popular font syles are these days? Most of my sites use Tahoma, don`t ask me why but I`ve always like that font. Whether others do I don`t know.

Font sizes, what`s a good size for a fixed layout of 980px, this particular site contains both static pages and a forum board. Do you try to maintain an even font size for your content, or have different sizes in different div containers for a bit of eye candy or just a change?

I`ve been messing around for a few days between various styles and font sizes, I just can`t seem to find something I am happy with!
    Unfortunatly picking a font isnt as easy as "Oh i like that one".

You need to think about your visitors. Will they have thay font installed? If not it will just show as Times New Roman.

I tend to use Tahoma 11px or Verdana 9 or 10px for all my sites. Try to keep with "default fonts" as nearly all people will see them properly.

Verdana and Tahoma are both Windows and Mac default fonts so you will be hard pushed to find someone who doesnt see it properly.

Although i have used Calibri once or twice with Tahoma as a backup for non vista users,

3. I have never heard of the fonts being popular or not popular, there are standard fonts ( Arial, Tahoma and Verdana) and the fonts that designers use based on the style of the website they are building. Swiss is a pretty nice one and I personally like it.

The font size depends on the audience of your website, if it's young people only, you can use 10, if your website is meant for the all age groups, then it's better to use bigger fonts but check if they look nicely or not. It also depends on the amount of text you have on page, if there's not too much you can use bigger font to get rid of the empty spaces.

It's better to use one font for the titles ( one size and one type), one for the main text area ( second type and second size or can be first type but smaller size) and one for the links like "read more" ( the second type but smaller size). To stress your keywords just use bold and try not to use different colors, but use the different color for the link roll-over. Place the most important info at the top of the page, this way you won't have to think of the methods how to tell to your customer that this info is worth reading.
    We designed Hostgator.com