Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Registrar without an embarassing name?

I am happy registering names with Godaddy and Namecheap, but I have a client who wants a domain name for a serious business and wants a less embarassing registrar name - even if it costs a few dollars more

Whoever we go with must let us manage the DNS.

Any suggestions?

Enom
    Tucows
    DomainSite
    DirectNIC
    Dotster
    all these registrars have dns management i believe

i don't know what you find embarrassing. I am sure NetSol/Register.com can accommodate you for some ridiculous price too.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

123-reg is who we use and they are good.

Enom has a very professional interface for managing DNS etc

Quote Originally Posted by grandad View Post
    Enom has a very professional interface for managing DNS etc
    How much do they charge for a .com?

I can't see without registering.

I've been using DirectNIC recently. I have a few domains still at Network Solutions though. Both of which sound very professional and non-silly.
    [Lurking Glass] <- Not a webhost.

I would suggest for business:

Dotster
    Enom
    Domain.com
    Moniker

Quote Originally Posted by brookie View Post
    How much do they charge for a .com?

I can't see without registering.
    Get a reseller account for free from someone here and the charge will be $8-9

Try resellerclub they have also DNS

Quote Originally Posted by grandad View Post
    Get a reseller account for free from someone here and the charge will be $8-9
    That's a bit of an overkill for one domain.

Price isn't a great issue but it annoys me when suppliers hide the price - they lose my business.

Have a look at name.com

Enom's pricing changes depending on what reseller package you are on, ours is between $5 and $10 per domain... Also your best bet is to get a reseller account free from someone here, as grandad said.
    Toby
    Xeo Solutions - Discovering Innovation
    Managed Service Provider & Cloud Hosting | Launching Late August 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Toby H View Post
    Enom's pricing changes depending on what reseller package you are on, ours is between $5 and $10 per domain... Also your best bet is to get a reseller account free from someone here, as grandad said.
    ...but they seem to sell direct - only they won't disclose the price without signing up!

I'll go somewhere else!

No, they don't, you have to sign up, there are several tiers of reseller each with different pricing.
    Toby
    Xeo Solutions - Discovering Innovation
    Managed Service Provider & Cloud Hosting | Launching Late August 2019

...but they seem to sell direct - only they won't disclose the price without signing up!

I'll go somewhere else!
    You want there retail site Enom Central

http://www.enomcentral.com/pricing.asp

Why the hang-up with the registrar name? Surely it's the price/features which are important.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    Why the hang-up with the registrar name? Surely it's the price/features which are important.
    The professional image is important.

No point having a great domain name and slick website if a customer does a WHOIS and sees "Namecheap"

Ah...a perception thing. Don't know if Moniker would be a good choice since people might think they're a...moniker for someone else.

Good luck with your search, brookie. That's a unique client with a unique preference, so to speak.

Network Solutions. they've been around for a while.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    Ah...a perception thing. Don't know if Moniker would be a good choice since people might think they're a...moniker for someone else.

Good luck with your search, brookie. That's a unique client with a unique preference, so to speak.
    You mean, being a 'Moniker Lewinsky'?

Directi has also a neutral name "Public Domain Registry", but each reseller's name is shown in the whois

If you are concerned about prestige and image then pay the $35 and go with Network Solutions.

I see that both CNN and Microsoft are with Tucows (Two Cows).

The registrar company really has nothing to do with images. It is more important on how good the service is. GoDaddy is the #1 registrar that says a lot. I use GoDaddy for almost all of my domains for one reason, They have the best service of all the registrars I have used. It seems that my domains are setup faster and propagate faster. This is what I look at when picking a company not the prices. I have used NS, Enom, Yahoo,Dotster, Tucows, 1and1 and Im sure theres more but in the end I transfer the domains to GoDaddy.
    LA Server Shack - Reliable Hosting At An Affordable Price.

The professional image is important.

No point having a great domain name and slick website if a customer does a WHOIS and sees "Namecheap"
    Ok. Try www.MarkMonitor.com
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by GB-Mark View Post
    The registrar company really has nothing to do with images. It is more important on how good the service is. GoDaddy is the #1 registrar that says a lot. I use GoDaddy for almost all of my domains for one reason, They have the best service of all the registrars I have used. It seems that my domains are setup faster and propagate faster. This is what I look at when picking a company not the prices. I have used NS, Enom, Yahoo,Dotster, Tucows, 1and1 and Im sure theres more but in the end I transfer the domains to GoDaddy.
    As I said in my original post, I use Godaddy and Namecheap and am very happy with the service.

Unfortunately, however, the domain name registrar appears in the WHOIS record...and some people like to look up the WHOIS.

So, I doubt that any blue-chip company would use Namecheap even if it met all their service and technical needs

Names

Uses namesco a while back, rather good if price isn't a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast