Earthquake in St. Louis

I know it is pretty unbelievable but we just had an earthquake in St. Louis. My entire apartment was shaking for about 10 seconds. My guess was it was in the four/five range but I've only been through two in my life in California.

I expect you'll see it on the news soon.

yup, felt it here in Indiana.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Not hard to believe at all. Put up the dishes it could get worse.
    The New Madrid fault line which runs right through the middle of St Louie is considered one of the most likely to produce a 7 or better quake. That might just have been a warm up to a real event.

I thought it was rolling thunder. Just checked the news and, sure enough, there was an earthquake. Crazy!

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I felt it here in Chicago as well, it woke me up. It was a 5.4, according to several sources, but happened closer to the Illinois/Indiana border, not the heart of the New Madrid fault zone.

There is a good story about it here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-ea...,5148529.story
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Wooooo earthquake. We just had another 4.5 aftershock here at 10 AM. I had to check the news this morning to be sure it wasn't a dream.

http://pantagraph.com/articles/2008/...7990030121.txt
    Corey Northcutt | Northcutt
    Competitive inbound marketing with a hosting industry competency.
    Social | Content | Optimization | Outreach

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    I felt it here in Chicago as well, it woke me up. It was a 5.4, according to several sources, but happened closer to the Illinois/Indiana border, not the heart of the New Madrid fault zone.

There is a good story about it here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/chi-ea...,5148529.story
    I felt it too! So cool how all of us can feel it so far away. Well I probably live close to you, but maybe not as close to the OP.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

The question is, did Aussie Bob feel it!?

I've never felt an Earthquake before... is it instant panic or more like "wtf is going on!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mekhu View Post

I've never felt an Earthquake before... is it instant panic or more like "wtf is going on!?"

For me it was "hrm...this is weird. thunder? big truck outside?". We weren't near the epicenter though.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Me neither. But I guess that depends on the magnitude.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Having lived through several large ones.. its an "instant panic" type of thing. Most of the quakes (in Cali anyways) don't slowly roll in. Its more like... peaceful, nothing happen.... BOOM! And depending on the BOOM! it can last several seconds to minutes, and the shaking is extremely strong. I was in an apartment during the 90's quake and it dropped me to the ground.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

Yep I felt it here, because I kinda started rolling of the bed.

I also felt the aftershock at work at around 10:30. As long as they're not big ones, I don't mind them. Mother nature.

Feels like the ground is dancing and bending, very weird, because everything kinda shakes at the same time, it's almost like being inside a big swaying ship. (I assume, I've never been in a big swaying ship.)
    IntelliSerp - The most accurate and intelligent keyword rank tracking software.

It felt to me like somebody was shaking my bed as though they were trying to get me up, yelled at my wife until I realized she was still in bed with me.

Got up and noticed my book shelves were emptying themselves... Felt it for about 30~40 seconds. It wasn't tremendously strong where I was at (about 170 miles from the epicenter) but strong enough to wake me and make me go, "Wtf?"

Friend's house about 10 min drive away hardly felt a thing... Earthquakes... Silly things they are - hopefully we're done for about the next 100 years in this area LOL
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    It felt to me like somebody was shaking my bed as though they were trying to get me up
    That is why I will never move to California, or any place that experiences earth quakes for that matter. I'd rather stay at my nice, unshaken North Carolina home.

For this one it was definitely the latter for me. Took me about half the 15-20 seconds it lasted for me to figure it out. Was kind of like being on a train, with the gentle rocking.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    That is why I will never move to California, or any place that experiences earth quakes for that matter. I'd rather stay at my nice, unshaken North Carolina home.
    THere HAVE been earthquakes in North Carolina: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...na/history.php Not many, but...

Also, for me, the hurricanes would be a much greater concern, as they seem to occur much more frequently than the once in every several decades, if not longer, earthquakes. The last quake in Southern Illinois, that I can think of, was in 1984, measured in the low 4's. Definitely not a common occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    THere HAVE been earthquakes in North Carolina: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/...na/history.php

Also, for me, the hurricanes would be a much greater concern, as they seem to occur much more frequently than the once in every several decades, if not longer, earthquakes. The last one in Southern Illinois, that I can think of, was in 1984, measured in the low 4's. Definitely not a common occurrence.
    It's very rare, though. Just think, I could be in California walking along the beach and, what's that? An earthquake-caused tsunami!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    http://www.geology.enr.state.nc.us/proj_earth/I-40.htm

There are fault lines in North Carolina, it's not beyond possibility that there could be an earthquake there as well.

That's like saying you're going to move to where there are no storms... Wherever you are there are bound to be storms - dust storms, thunder storms, snow storms, etc...

Although some locations are less likely to experience storms than others, just as some experience earthquakes less than others.

Ah well.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Yeah, I felt it here in Chicago. It was insane.

i too came to know about my friend who is in chicago about this