Lightbulb Phone Support Starting Tip

24/7 Phone support is a must, a second line is not. Why not at the very least get a Pay-as-You-Go phone? You could have it with you anywhere and a professional business line is cheap nowadays. We spend more on coffee than on our business line.

Maybe you have a help Desk, Live Chat, Ticket Support, etc. Starting out, how many calls are you going to actually get and can you handle the added expense of a second phone line?

Purchasing a cheap Pay-as-you-Go phone would be a great starter until you need that iPhone or Blackberry down the road. Either way, it would be more personal than outsourced support right?

Next, get a toll free number (1-800) from for a few dollars each month. We like Kall8 but if your in the United States you may like RingCentral or one of the many others.

Make sure, your business line number is used and only given out for business purposes. Have it on you at all times like your wallet or purse and on vibrate mode when ringing is inappropriate such as work or school.

When a call comes in address the caller in a professional but personal greeting trying to resolve the call in 4-6 minutes, if the call is going to take longer than refer the client to another support channel such as Support Ticket. Quick responses are key!

With a Pay-as-you-go plan and a limited budget you can use it to test your call volume without added expenditure. If nothing else, it will force you to use it for what it is intended for... to TALK!

A professional support call structure should appear as follows:

Opening - example: Hello, my name John Doe with company name
    how may I help you?

Wait for customer response

Cushion Statements - example: I can help you with that

Exchange Names - Once again, my name is John Doe do you mind if I address you by your first name? (This lets your caller know you are aware of the situation and willing to help)

Listen Listen and Listen

Summarize - was there any other questions or concerns? (may have to be repeated until taken care of)

Closing call - Thank you for calling company name caller's name and have a nice day.

Exchanging names is important in building trust in your caller. The more you hear a company name the more people remember it the bottom line is this getting new clients are hard enough but it takes less time to lose a client.
    HostDemon.net - Web Hosting & Design Solutions at Sinful Prices!
    30 Day Money Back | 24/7 Support | No Overselling | Instant Backups | 99.9% uptime | Adult Websites Allowed
    Official Twitter Stream- Check it out and consider following us!

Exchange Names - Once again, my name is John Doe do you mind if I address you by your first name? (This lets your caller know you are aware of the situation and willing to help)
    I don't think this is necessary for a support call. If I can help them with the issue they have, I will help them. No need to start establishing a personal rapport with them.

I think actually solving the problem as quickly and as efficiently as possible is a better indication that you are "aware of the situation and willing to help" than getting on first name terms with the client...

holy robots batman.

Good post. There are a lot of people how there who don't do support calls well.

To summarize your post: LISTEN above all else. People don't always know what their problem is. That will do more to build rapport than anything else.

I also agree with Andy. It's not necessary to explicitly ask for their name. Customers don't really care what your name is as long as you fix their broken email. Besides, after you first answer, they will probably give their name anyway.
    Matt Gorecki
    Go! Elephant Online Backup
    http://goelephant.com