Thread: CVS Servers ??

CVS Servers ??

Hello,

I want to install and use a CVS server.

Which free CVS servers/apps with all the needed functionality are avalible, could someone help me with the links.

This is for prifor application development, something like sourceforge...except that its private use only.

Also, is it necessary to have root access on a server to installa CVs server or is it possible to install it and run the same on any normal hosting account, even if it is a shared account ??

Thanks for any help and feedback here .

What OS? If you just want source, it's here.

I've never tried installing it as a user other than root. As long as it's installed in /usr/bin or whatever on the server, any of the system users can create their own CVSROOT and start their own "repositories".

I imagine that you could install it as a regular semi-privileged user.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

bitserver :

Thanks for the reply !

The OS i am interested to install on is Unix.

Its for private use only...will a VPS do fine for its installation and usage??

Its should be something similiar to the one offered at collabnet/sourcecast, but, i don't need to integrate any customers just my developers and me !

Can the one avaliable at CVSHome do it for me??

Thanks much for the help again

You didn't say what vendor made your UNIX, but as long as it has a C compiler and tar, you should be able to install from the source at the project's web site.

In fact, if you're going to be getting a virtual private server, you'll probably need to install from source anyway. I don't know of any binary packages that would have paths set up correctly for a VPS.

You'll also probably want to install CVS on each of your developer's machines, as it includes the client. If you're developing in windows, there are several clients for windows that you can use that are also available indirectly from the project's web site.
    -Mark Adams
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.

Hii again,

The Unix flavour i will be installing on is FreeBSD, I guess that is the one most hosting comanies offer ?!

You had mentioned, I'll have to probably install CVS on my client systems ( that is on the developers systems locally ). Do i have to install the CVS server or just a windows client to access the CVS server ???

Do i have to compile the source for installation on VPS or can it be done withour compling the source ??

Also, if you have AIM/Yahoo messenger/MSN could you pls send it by PM, so that i can add you, probably, if you have some spare time, I can take ur help online??

Thanks again
    Last edited by brands; 08-23-2002 at 03:41 AM.

So it sounds like your developers are developing on windows. They would only need the windows CVS client. This would allow them to do development on their machines and do commits and checkouts and such from their workstation.

My brother's shop is actually doing this. They're switching to CVS from Source Safe.

I think that most VPS hosting is done on FreeBSD, although most hosting itself probably isn't.

You'll probably need to actually compile the source on the VPS. Just transfer the source over to your VPS, unarchive it, and read the INSTALL file. It's rather simple. It should be as easy as:

./configure
    make

Which will compile it (Just an example, read the INSTALL). Depending on how your VPS is set up, you may need to move the binaries after the compile into a shared location. Or you may be able to specify a prefix during configuration that will allow you to do a "make install" that will usually automatically move the binaries to a shared location. You might ask your VPS host for recommendations on compiling and installing applications from source.

On UNIX, we use CVS with SSH if we're going to a be using a CVS repository over the Internet. I'm not sure how well the windows clients integrate with SSH. My brother's shop only does it over a LAN.

I don't think I could be of much more help. I've never install CVS as a non-root user, on a VPS, or on FreeBSD. I've also never used one of the windows clients. I've installed from source on Linux, and as an RPM on Linux.
    -Mark Adams

bitserve : Thanks for picking up this thread and helping me out with the info.

I have used a windows client called Tortoise CVS a couple of times...Its good enough...!

I have downloaded the source from cvshome...let me check it up...!

Okay, when you said read the INSTALL , you mean I should manually read the file or you meant it in some technical sense...sorry for this stupid question..

Thanks again

Originally posted by brands
    Okay, when you said read the INSTALL , you mean I should manually read the file or you meant it in some technical sense...
    Most source tar balls that you will download include a file named "INSTALL" that usually contains general compilation/installation instructions as well as some tips or caveats for more advanced installation procedures.

I was just suggesting that you read it for instructions. Good luck.
    -Mark Adams

Sorry for posting in an old thread.

Just wanted to know if the cvs is installed on a RedHat (install everything) by default or those are its clients files only.

And did you managed to install it?

Mac

Yes generally RH has all the CVS packages you need...

All you need to run a CVS server is SSH access.. Unless you want to do pserve which requires root to setup....

Prohacker

Thank you. I finally managed to use it both with ssh and with pserver.

It took more than 6 hours of my time to learn it, compile last version of cvs from source code, install WinCVS (Python, TCL, SSH,..) and TortoiseCVS.

Anyway I am moving a test project from VSS(Visual Source Safe) to it to see how things go on.

I wish it does not eat project files

Thank you,
    Mac