Jack Thompson Says GTA 4 Mission Target is Him; Threatens to Block Release

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/09/18/j...block-release/

Plenty of gamers would give their left arm to be included in Grand Theft Auto IV.

Miami attorney Jack Thompson, however, claims that he’s depicted in the game and wants out. And he threatens to block the release of GTA IV if Rockstar doesn’t comply.

In a document filed yesterday with a federal court in Florida, Thompson includes a letter written to Take Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick which reads in part:

I have this morning read with interest an article on page 80 and 81 of the September 2007 issue of Game Informer magazine which was generated when, according to its author, Rockstar Games “stopped by the Game Informer offices for an impromptu hour-long gameplay session with the Xbox 360 version of the game.”

The showcasing play of the game to Game Informer revealed that the first killing mission of the “hero” of the game, Niko, is to kill a certain lawyer. When Niko comes into this lawyer’s office, having used subterfuge to do so, Niko pulls a gun on the lawyer who says, “that the firm supports the second amendment and that ‘Guns don’t kill people. Video games do.’”

…The fact that the lawyer, killed on Niko’s first mission, would bring up video games, makes it clearly a reference to me… This is not the first time Rockstar Games and Take Two have targeted me in this fashion. Take Two references to me as a bisexual pedophile on its corporate website…

GP: What’s he referring to here? See GamePolitics’ September, 2005 article Jack Thompson Accuses Rockstsar of… Parody. Thompson’s letter continues:

You have until five o’clock P.M. this Friday… to inform me that you are going to delete the above references and any other references that could reasonably be construed to be references to me in Grand Theft Auto IV and any other video games that are pending release…

Now you have descended this low - using one of your games to threaten my physical safety… Failure to comply with the deadline… will result in my having to take necessary and proper means to stop release of the game which targets me personally… given the copycatting of violent games…

This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 18th, 2007 at 9:14 am and is filed under Controversial Games, Video Game Critics, Court Cases, Jack Thompson. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

F him. That game CANNOT be delayed
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    F him. That game CANNOT be delayed
    Agreed.....

One would only hope the mission target was him
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

Well I placed my preorder the other day.
    Nationhosts, LLC

As if anyone will actually get to the mission in the first place. Does anyone actually do more than beat-up hookers in GTA?
    [Lurking Glass] <- Not a webhost.

lol that is quite true eviltechie although I only do it after I've completed the missions, they're pretty challenging.

what i will say is...if he does stop the realise of GTA im pretty sure people will take to the streets and do the mission in real life on him.

Not to mention the 10000+ if not more pre orders already in the pipe line throughout all the consoles.

yeah, i have a feeling that the people who are waiting on GTA4 will do more harm to him if he causes a delay then if he just drops the issue

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    yeah, i have a feeling that the people who are waiting on GTA4 will do more harm to him if he causes a delay then if he just drops the issue
    him drop the issue? He complains about pimping on games but he's the whore, an attention whore.
    ok I have let it out now.
    Maybe I will get a point against me for that one, but as far as I know he's no forum member

BTW I hate GTA games, they are senseless and a waste of time, I don't have it preordered the only reason I have played it 3 times was because someone gave it to me, I thought maybe it gets better over time. Nope. My opinion of him doesn't change however.

It's doubtful many will sympathize with a lawyer... maybe if it were a girl scout?

lol, the game must go on!
    Blesta - Professional Billing Software
    Innovation that benefits the user experience
    Trial - Demo | 866.478.7567 | Twitter @blesta

Jack Thompson has to be in that game! Don't you know its all about Jack Thompson? The world has to resolve around Jack Thompson, or this world just isn't worth living.

Bow down, and hail to your ruler: Jack Thompson

Or.. as he thinks...
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

The character doesn't even look like Thompson, it'd be fun to kill him though, in a game that is I mean
    Nationhosts, LLC

What an a$$, I pre-ordered my copy 2 weeks ago and can't wait to have it. I didn't even know who the hell he was before this article but I can tell you now that I know who he is he better not delay it.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Anybody every watch this guy on TV... He's a total a**

He's always looking to sue any game that has any violence in it.

Let's see who he has started with.

1. GTA
    2. Bill Gates ( releasing Halo 3 )
    3. bully
    4. Sims 2
    5. ect...

he's even the guy who said this:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-te...mes-252702.php

Bill should reach in his pocket ( has spare chage around ) and just sue the hell out of him until he goes under 100%.
    Robert Merrihue - President/CEO
    http://www.bethehost.com
    Where resellers become a host on servers we own and operate.
    Web Hosting Since 2000 *** 12+ Years in the hosting industry

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Anybody every watch this guy on TV... He's a total a**

He's always looking to sue any game that has any violence in it.

Let's see who he has started with.

1. GTA
    2. Bill Gates ( releasing Halo 3 )
    3. bully
    4. Sims 2
    5. ect...

he's even the guy who said this:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/virginia-te...mes-252702.php

Bill should reach in his pocket ( has spare chage around ) and just sue the hell out of him until he goes under 100%.
    Bill would probably just tell you that Jack's not worth his toe jam, much less some spare nickels and dimes.

Bill Gates should just slap him with a copy of windows, and keep beating him until he learns some common sense and gets a sense of humor. then he will have a exuse to sue him and understand the true meaning of a game, its a ...well ermm game...get over it. lol