White Paper for collocating?

Is there a white paper that outlines the steps necessary to start collocating?

I'm looking for information beyond: buy a server, find a data center, find clients.

Specifically, I'm looking for a checklist of necessary server configuration files. Or do programs like Ensim handle everything for you, including creating and maintaining a DNS file.

Other things I'd like to know are, do most newbies start off with just 1 machine? What about secondary email? How to people handle that? Or do most people simply run a primary email server and pray it's always up.

How about secondary DNS? Do most people farm that out to say, EasyDNS?

When creating the nameservers, Do you use your first IP, like my current reseller account? Or do most people farm out the entire DNS to say, Granite Canyon?

So many questions, so little time...

Vancouver, BC
    if you need help to that level, you might be better off getting a dedicated server...

Originally posted by netdude
    if you need help to that level, you might be better off getting a dedicated server...

I can handle whatever comes my way. Just because I haven't done something before doesn't mean I shouldn't be doing it.

Everyone has to start at some point. For me, it's not even the very beginning, considering I've been working with networks (Cisco routing, et. al.) for years. I simply haven't ever collocated. Hence, the reason I was asking.

Thanks for your input, but I was hoping for something a little more substantial than, "If you have to ask, then you shouldn't be doing it." How disappointing!