Talking WiredTree 3 months review

From a WHT code promotion I rented the WiredTree 512RAM/50GB VPS with cPanel latest release on January 15th, 2008. I'm hosting just fine 16 websites (including the ones of my principal VIP customers) there and I'm surprised because in fact, according I've measured, the RAM available for this VPS is 2GB, not only 512K. Load webpages, download files from this VPS and more, such build tarball for backups and send it to my external backup server in New York (Scott's BQBackup) are operations ever performed in high velocity. Below my rating for WiredTree at the moment:

Uptime: 10/10

Security: 10/10

Reliability: 10/10

Support: 10/10

Pricing: 10/10

Overall: 10/10
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    http://macarloshark.com/
    Trusted Since 1997
    Blog: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/

Good review The-Rev, i signed up to WiredTree just after you and it was your initial signup and testing thread that helped my decision to join.

Quote Originally Posted by The-REV View Post
    I'm hosting just fine 16 websites (including the ones of my principal VIP customers) there and I'm surprised because in fact, according I've measured, the RAM available for this VPS is 2GB, not only 512K.
    The 2GB you are seeing is the burst RAM, the 512MB packages come with 2GB and the 256MB come with 1GB.

I'm hosting a lot of sites also, and the server flies. I agree i would give WiredTree a 10/10 also i'm super happy with their network and support, it's easily the best i have encountered from any provider.
    Great Host = WiredTree.com Managed VPS Hosting

I give them an 11 out of 10. No issues at all.

Glad to see some positive reviews in the VPS Reviews section.
    Be sure to keep us updated throughout the future!

Good luck
    CirtexHosting Providing Affordable and Quality Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting since 2003
    LINUX based cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Fantastico
    HostV VPS Premium Virtual Private Servers & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    We transfer your sites over quickly! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

* Up until now!

Hey all,

You may have wanted to wait a couple more days before posting that review...

I'm a customer of WiredTree, have been for about a year. I, too, had great faith in their service and stability, until their data center relocation yesterday, followed by a failed RAID array and disk rebuild, caused me more than 25 hours downtime.

RAID rebuilds and restores aren't covered by their SLA, even ones that, for some reason, take 13 hours...

style.

Quote Originally Posted by stylecrime View Post
    I, too, had great faith in their service and stability, until their data center relocation yesterday, followed by a failed RAID array and disk rebuild, caused me more than 25 hours downtime.
    What are you talking about? I know nothing of a data centre relocation. There's nothing on the website about it, and I have received no emails concerning this!

Clarification...

Texo, sorry, my bad, I'll clarify. It wasn't the whole data center being relocated; some servers were being physically moved from one, older data center to a newer one.

>
    This notice is to inform you that we will be physically relocating your server(s)
    > to our new datacenter in 427 S LaSalle in downtown Chicago.

Like I said, normally they are great. 25 hours down just makes me feel unloved.

style.

LOL, stylecrime -- you had me worried! It would be very bad if wiredtree didn't even tell us about a datacentre move!

25 hours is a very long time -- and worrying, that they are not helping you faster. I would also feel "unloved"!

I actually have a VPS with 25 hs of downtime.

Support told me

I do understand the frustration that you are having because I personally hate downtime and if there was something that we could to to instantly get your site back up and running we would take no time in doing so. The server's entire RAID array had a major failure which was delayed by the fact that we tried to salvage it with two disk forced disk checks. It failed with an unrecoverable error on the second check so we then wiped the array and reinstalled the system. At this point we are actively restoring accounts as fast as possible but the restore process is not fast at all.

Again if there was something that I could do to bring your server back on line faster I would do so in a heart beat. Other than that I ask for your patience and understanding with the delays in the restoration of service.

Thanks!
    Joe

30 hs and still down

Thanks for the review i have always heard good things about them.

Downtime

I can certainly feel for Joe and other techs in these circumstances - I am a sys admin by day aside from hosting my own clients personally, and this is certainly a situation I have been in before.

I'm wondering if perhaps extra steps could have been taken to mitigate these risks (RAID failure, etc.). Moving one server at a time and copying the server files to a standby server before each move, so that if the main server goes blooie when you turn it on again, you just switch on the standby server until the main one is fixed.

I know having an extra server simply for this purpose isn't the cheapest proposition, but it might turn out to be cheaper than a full day's downtime for your customers...

Speaking of which, my sites seem to be down again...

style.

Looking to sign up with WiredTree. Out of curiousity, is the downtime still going on?

Stylecrime -- Their SLA states a 2-hour replacement period as per http://wiredtree.com/legal/sla.html

You should be getting "5% of the monthly service fees for each 60 minutes of downtime up to 100% of clients's monthly service fees for the affected server."
    Last edited by RamboLeer; 04-21-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Read WT SLA

Quote Originally Posted by vevinet-ilir View Post
    Looking to sign up with WiredTree. Out of curiousity, is the downtime still going on?
    I'm on WiredTree and haven't had a minutes worth of downtime. The downtime was associated with a single failed box, so if you signed up you obviously wouldn't be put that one.

Also if you are signing up, check the offers section they may still have the bonus RAM and 10% off monthly coupon going.
    Great Host = WiredTree.com Managed VPS Hosting

ilir, as 1boss1 said, this is a problem with one server hosting multiple VPSs, not their entire network.

As to their SLA, it doesn't cover RAID disk rebuilding and account restoration, which takes hours. I have little doubt they managed to replace a failed disk in under 2 hours.

I'm quite happy so far, WT is far better than my previous VPS (which I still have for a backup)
    I'll move all into there when I feel 100% safe.

Ok, I'm back to testify:

WiredTree is da bomb! These guys are amazing! I bought a VPS account and have many websites running. But over everything else SUPPORT is what they're good at. Dude, 5 minutes tops for a response! I don't know how they stay in business but if they're keeping other clients as happy as me they are a top-notch host.

(Not affiliated with the company, just a happy client!)

Thanks for the follow up review vevinet-ilir!
    Zac Cogswell
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | Average Helpdesk Response <15 Minutes, 24x7 Instant Phone Support
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    zac @ wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

Quote Originally Posted by vevinet-ilir View Post
    Ok, I'm back to testify:

WiredTree is da bomb! These guys are amazing! I bought a VPS account and have many websites running. But over everything else SUPPORT is what they're good at. Dude, 5 minutes tops for a response! I don't know how they stay in business but if they're keeping other clients as happy as me they are a top-notch host.

(Not affiliated with the company, just a happy client!)
    Always nice to see the updates. Glad to hear you are getting a wonderful service from them. If you want to validate your review you can report your domain or IP hosted with them. Mods will verify it. You can use the following link to report.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/report.php?p=6199491