Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Web Programming forum instead of PHP forum?

Hello,

I myself agree with the importance of PHP language as quick, easy to learn and very popular web programming language but I think a web programming forum or at least web scripting forum could be more useful on a board like WHT.

Some languages like ASP and Perl are very popular yet so we can cover all of them.

A second option can be a category about web design and programming which includes different forums like ASP, Perl etc.

Again I know that PHP is very poular, that's why I myself have a Website Dedicated to PHP.

Just want to know opinions of people and WHT staff.

Thank you,
    Mac

Yes, I agree with Mac. PHP is certainly popular, but there are other technologies as well, and they deserve a place to be discussed.

Not to mention my favorite - JSP and servlet.

Peter

But this is a web hosting forum.

Yes.

Frankly, I was surprised to see the PHP forum, it just isn't appropriate.

BUT, *assuming* it is appropriate, it should be a broad forum for web programming technology, not just for PHP.

Of course, I still think it is inappropriate. (the idea of a php/programming forum in webhostingtalk.com).

Peter

You know, I noticed that forum just now and popped straight here to make this post.

I find it an outrage that a PHP forum was made opposed to a web-programming forum. PHP only looks like it's the biggest language as WHT is full of Linux hosts at a majority so PHP is emphasised a lot.

I love a bit of contoversy. To my mind a php forum was a good sensible choice, though the posts here make sense, perhaps a general web design forum would have been better.
    Web Hosting since 1999

I just noticed it too. We're getting way too many forums, IMO. I think we need an All-In-One forum.

imo we need to ditch the php forum...

hence the url you typed in to get here.. http://www.webHOSTINGtalk.com

whw,

I disagree.... do you see the amount of threads that are looking for php/mysql work? php/mysql scripts? There are tons of stuff that hosts use that are php related.

If they are looking for php/mysql work, they can post in the Job forum. (which, now even with the new forum, it still doesn't allow ads). If they are looking for actual scripts, they can 1) go to other sites (since webhostingtalk.com isn't scripthostingtalk.com), or 2) talk it in the lounge forum.

A major problem with adding forum is that it confuses people. There has been a regular stream of "wrong forum" posts. Adding more forum will make this even worse.

Peter

Congrats on the forum, but you've got some tough competitors ahead:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/index.php
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

A response from staff will be nice.

Mac

I agree with mac. There should be one more category for other programing languages.

Well, not one more, but rather, just replace the php forum with a more generic web programming forum.

The idea of having web programming forum in a hosting site is not very logical; but rackshack never asked our opinion.

Peter

Well, we weren't in on the new forum either, so you'll have to wait for headsurfer to comment. This forum (the entire forum) has gotten away from its roots quite a bit, so in some ways it seems to be a step back toward that.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Except this one is promoted on the front of php.net

"This mirror is sponsored by: Webhostingtalk - now featuring PHP forums"

No Kidding...

Why should PHP coders have a forum dedicated just to them?

My main web application language is ASP/ASP.NET

Although I do program in php some too.

A general forum would be cool.

"Site Development"

I agree with almost everyone on this one, here's my opinion's summary:

1) Too many forums confuse people.

2) PHP Coders shouldn't be the only ones with a forum. Other languages like Perl and Python should be discussed, even subordinate languages/technologies like ASP and .NET do deserve a place.

3) That place isn't here. This is webHOSTINGtalk.com. But, it gets a lot of attention here and webHOSTINGtalk.com has started to grow a bit and proven a very good home for these forums.

The addition of more programming forums under a new top level category of "Web Development" should be a great way to stop people from being confused, but still add more forums.

I take the title of Web Development from the same stream of people as those who coined Web Hosting.

Perhaps the Main category should go into seperate categories.... They would still all display just as well on the Front Page too. Right now we have Main, Advertising, and Other. The main point of this layout with these topics was to keep Spam seperate and only to those who want it. Now the forums have grown enough that a re-organtization is due. My proposition:

1.0) Web Hosting
    1.1 Web Hosting Business
    2.0) Advertising
    3.0) Web Development
    4.0) Other

Web Hosting Business is added to promote the main thing that most web hosts don't know enough about, and will only have one forum in it to start - Running a Web Hosting Biz. I really hope more forums will be found in the future as it is needed to improve the industry.

Web Development will be where all languages are thrown into, it keeps them out of the way and not confusing yet at great convenience to them and to the web hosting users, and especially the large population who enjoy reading both programming and hosting forums.

I wonder if, in the future, webHOSTINGtalk.com may start to turn into a webINDUSTRYtalk.com. It would be interesting to see, and the forums here have proven themselves (like PHP Forum...) to be in good audience.
    Travis Doherty
    Web Hosting Services
    http://www.referable.com/

"...even subordinate languages/technologies like ASP and .NET do deserve a place. "

Those are Fighten Words Son.

Just what I was thinking EricP!

It just comes down to sandle-wearing-opensource-zealots being pissed that ASP is good.

If the forum is to stay PLEASE change it to web development.

As I say it's probably got something to do with the mention on the front page of php.net

This can't be a good thing.

Must have something to do with $$ or advertising.

I guess since WHT can direct a lot of the hosting industry it can influence people (not sure how greatly) to follow a certain path and allow other businesses to cherish.

I think it's down to the guys upstairs in the sandals who have a secret plot for the sandal community to overcome the world

I too think a forum called "web programming" would be more appropriate. There could be sub forums for php, perl etc etc

Web Programming is suitable to wht, because web programming is obviously an important part of the web host's and hostees website, just like a control panel is....

Thats what I think anyway

My opinion:
    It was a great advertising move to get a ton of people to web hosting talk. Advertise on php.net . Everyone who uses php is involved in web hosting. Make THEM happy and feel at home with a php forum.

I think a Web Programming and Software issues would be the best forum to have. Don't limit the 1 forum and make 2, I'm scrolling enough as it is.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast