Good experiences hosting Gallery2 photo sites??

((I have looked at some older threads))

If you have current experience with hosting Gallery2 photo sites, please give us your opinion on hosts.

Gallery2 is PHP and MySQL based.

I am looking at a few customers (schools, sports groups) who would eventually have 2 to 5 GB of photos, but fairly light hits (Students, Parents, Friends). This would not be a NFL site! But responsiveness is relatively important.

Medium-cost (Say up to $15/M) shared hosting probably? Looking at maybe Hostgator, HostMonster, A1WebHosting. Your experiences/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My current site on (!PowWeb) is passable, but I want these sites ElseWhere...

Thanks!
    <<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 02-13-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Hi,

I'd recommend searching and looking around for hosts with experience in dealing and supporting Gallery2 software first, and be sure to do your research as well as contacting the host beforehand to make sure they're compatible with gallery2 and all gallery2 functions and allow you to upload larger image files, as some limit to 2mb max per upload etc.., just be sure to double check everything before signing up.

Good luck!
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Gallery2 sometimes consume high CPU load and memory when processing the images. Beside that you definitely need bigger space and bigger bandwidth, although you said you only light hits. But so far my Gallery2 + SMF works perfectly without any problem. And after testing many gallery script I think it's the best free gallery script available (this is only my personal opinion).

Hi Terry,

Welcome to WHT! First, yes shared hosting should fit your bill nicely I would think. Further, most any decent host should be able to handle what you are asking.

If I were you, I would use WHT's HostQuote feature (found in the menus at top of each page) and whittle down the hosts that are interested. Might also check the offers forum here.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!
    ||| Mike Bowers - Marketing Director
    ||| atOmicVPS LTD
    ||| OnApp Powered Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting ► [Shared] ► [Reseller] ► [VPS]
    ||| Follow the atOmicVPS Blog

Quote Originally Posted by TerryKing View Post
    Gallery2 is PHP and MySQL based.

I am looking at a few customers (schools, sports groups) who would eventually have 2 to 5 GB of photos, but fairly light hits (Students, Parents, Friends). This would not be a NFL site! But responsiveness is relatively important.

Medium-cost (Say up to $15/M) shared hosting probably? Looking at maybe Hostgator, HostMonster, A1WebHosting. Your experiences/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Those shared hosts will work well for you. Also check out lunarpages.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

I have gallery2 and its great and I am on a shared hosting and now problems but do use a lot of bandwidth with it.
    Coppermine is one I had before this and coppermine did not have as many features but used far less bandwidth.
    How ever both are better then photopost as photopost would show a php memory exceeded error on uploading or viewing more then 100 images at once and that used far more bandwidth then gallery 2.

Just a small question (confused here) are you talking about a1whs.com when you mention a1wehosting ? If so cool that you are considering us, if not , bummer !!

Anyways, do you have any idea of how much space you will end up using, up, and what sort of images will it be, cause if its adult pictures without copyright permissions it might become a hassle to find a host in US itself, also do you have any traffic estimate it will be getting, cause gallery system can put up some load on machine, when trying to load those images

@Amy-T have you tried uploading pics in zip and unzipping on server, does the gallery system not support local search for pictures in folders on server?
    Cheers
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

are you asking about photopost?

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-T View Post
    are you asking about photopost?
    I thought you were using coppermine , well even photopost ,dont most galleries have fetch feature from folders ?
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

I did not have any issues with coppermine, it was just the look I did not like. Oh it was way better then photopost. Coppermine I was able to add over 2000 images at once same as gallery2 but try that with photopost and you get that php memory error.
    they all have zip upload I think.

I did not have any issues with coppermine, it was just the look I did not like. Oh it was way better then photopost. Coppermine I was able to add over 2000 images at once same as gallery2 but try that with photopost and you get that php memory error.
    they all have zip upload I think.
    Memory error would be cause the host changed their php memory settings maybe, but anything over 100mb i am sure no host will allow as it puts more stress on server.

ya my host has it set to 30 I think but 100 images trying to be added even when they are already uploaded caused that error.

Thanks for the info so far!

Thanks to the many who have replied; this is a great resource!

In answer to a few queries:

- Non-controversial School/Sports photos.
    - Typical uploaded file size 1M or less. (2048 Max Pixel Dimension)
    - (Gallery2 generates 275pix thumbnail, plus 800x600 and 1024x768)
    - Probably grow to dozens of albums with dozens of photos each.
    - Eventually, um, maybe 2000 to 3000 images, max.
    - They will use GalleryRemote for uploading, which automagically downsamples images to (a preset max, I use 2048x2048). I need easy-to-use upload / album creation for teachers and students.
    - Most images will have captions, which I understand reside in MySQL.

Other:

Yes, a1whs.com/ is one of the hosts I'm considering.

Potential Problems??:
    - HostGator seems to have relaxed the PHP memory issue
    - Max INODES seems also to not be an issue. I hope.
    - Total user load viewing albums? Can anyone estimate they number of simultaneous users they have had on a Gallery2 system?
    I doubt I've had more than 10 to 20 on earlier systems.

Thanks for the information; I'll be following this...

Last edited by bear; 02-13-2013 at 03:44 PM.

Yes, a1whs.com/ is one of the hosts I'm considering.
    Alright thanks for confirming that, as per your other questions, as long as the traffic hitting site is not huge, that it makes it impossible for shared hosting account to handle, it should be alright, cause i am sure uploading should not cause much of an issue .

Cheers

Just to confirm what the others said; gallery is a great product, use it for my daughters website and got over 2000 images on it, works like a charm, and shared hosting will be more as good enough.

Also gallery comes with some settings to lower general load by caching certain information. This might be helpful when you unexpectedly get more visitors.

Note that you need to take in consideration that you need to follow the development of gallery and update it whenever a new version comes available, not doing this may cause your site to be hacked, or worse.

Choosing a host which allows auto-installs and updates will help you with this, of course you can also use manual updates, the documentation and instructions from gallery are quite good.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

I just found an interesting issue with gallery2.
    mod_security was just installed on my server and it basically disabled the gallery. I am not the only one with this issue going by the forum at gallery to when I looked for some fix to it.
    I do have the latest version as well.
    I do not really want my host to turn off mod_security but I do want to warn you about that.

I just found an interesting issue with gallery2.
    mod_security was just installed on my server and it basically disabled the gallery. I am not the only one with this issue going by the forum at gallery to when I looked for some fix to it.
    I do have the latest version as well.
    I do not really want my host to turn off mod_security but I do want to warn you about that.
    You know what i will test it out on my machine, which has mod_security enabled, it could be just bad set of rules. Gave Terry a test account to test it out , i will try it out myself too now.

Cheers

My gallery 2 installation works OK on imountain.com but was slow to load (30s!) on servage.net even with cacheing enabled, if that helps.
    Phil McKerracher
    I do server maintenance and troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    You know what i will test it out on my machine, which has mod_security enabled, it could be just bad set of rules. Gave Terry a test account to test it out , i will try it out myself too now.

Cheers
    ya its only if you install gallery2 while mod_security is off and then later turned on does it cause issues.
    If you install it while it is on it works fine.
    I am working on reinstalling it right now.

ya its only if you install gallery2 while mod_security is off and then later turned on does it cause issues.
    If you install it while it is on it works fine.
    I am working on reinstalling it right now.
    Good luck amy, it sure must be painful installing it back as it was painful enough to realize that i had to disable other image processing plugins to enable thumbnails, cause by default it looks for imagemagicks !!

So a tip to those who are new to gallery2 disable other plugins in admin>plugins like imagemagicks, net thingy etct etc and keep GD enabled only.

And to generate thumbnails you can use admin>maintenance > thumbnails

Thought i did share my new acquired knowledge of Gallery 2

Checking Things Out

OK, thanks for all the helpful info!

It's 8AM here in China, and I'm aboot (as those Canadians say) to try an install...

(Actually I'm from Almost-Canada in Vermont, and will eventually return there for good. Late 2009 sounds good. (Slap!) (Exorcize Politics!))

Future History: It's working great on HostGator

Last edited by bear; 02-13-2013 at 03:43 PM.