Thread: what do I need?

what do I need?

okay, i'm wanting to start a blog using wordpress, with several other pages included.
    i've never had a website before so i'm not familiar with hosting etc but i get the idea..
    i want the cheapest, but most reliable hosting package.
    who should i go with and how much space should I need?
    i've read bad things about godaddy, which has put me off hosting with them. what are the better alternatives?
    thanks!

I would highly recommend Dathorn. Very reliable.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Quote Originally Posted by decembers View Post
    okay, i'm wanting to start a blog using wordpress, with several other pages included.
    i've never had a website before so i'm not familiar with hosting etc but i get the idea..
    i want the cheapest, but most reliable hosting package.
    who should i go with and how much space should I need?
    i've read bad things about godaddy, which has put me off hosting with them. what are the better alternatives?
    thanks!
    You could just set up your blog at Wordpress.com - Wordpress gives you static pages so you can set up a pretty decent website for free.

If it takes off you can buy a domain name and have it point at your Wordpress.com blog (for a small fee to Wordpress ).

You can also search these forums for "cpanel hosts" that offer "fantastico", since WordPress is one of the free scripts available through Fantastico, and easily installed with a few clicks.
    Rob Moore - Founder/President
    DemoWolf.com - Video Support Tutorials for Hosting Companies, since 2005
    Our new service is LIVE - as of June 1, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by brookie View Post
    You could just set up your blog at Wordpress.com - Wordpress gives you static pages so you can set up a pretty decent website for free.

If it takes off you can buy a domain name and have it point at your Wordpress.com blog (for a small fee to Wordpress ).
    Never thought of that.

There's also Blogspot
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

I would simply look for a hosting plan that isn't outrageous in terms of overselling. These hosts will be better suited to handle a sudden boost of visitors/resources to your blog (providing these hosts are not resellers). And many of them can also provide Fantastico..
    Last edited by diligent; 04-15-2008 at 05:32 PM.
    DILIGENThost.com, Canadian hosting based on high-availability w/ 24/7 bilingual (French) support & 100% uptime -> Toll free phone support
    cPanel/WHM 11 + Fantastico, PHP4&5, Private nameservers, Unlimited domains & features, Self Serve DNS...Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated | Webmasters-Inside.com - Come join our new webmaster forum!

I would check the web host listing in the forums. Be careful about the cheap hosts though, many of them oversell which can cause a problem with the reliability of your site. I've used oversellers before and have never been happy. And remember, you don't need to GB of space and transfer, so don't waste your money on them.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by brookie View Post

yeah, i see how that could be easier but i want to have complete control over the design of my website. I know web design and want to be able to create something of my own. thats the problem i have with blogging sites, sticking to their templates etc.
    ive never used wordpress.com so i cant really comment, im just guessing its the same! haha

Hosts like bluehost, hostgator and lunarpages with Cpanel and Fantastico allow for an easy installation of wordpress on your site. Wordpress is a very common content management system that hosts support. Search around and best of luck to you.
    Review Hell - Brutally Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Helpful Web Hosting Advice
    Web Hosting Guide - Easy to Understand For Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by decembers View Post
    yeah, i see how that could be easier but i want to have complete control over the design of my website. I know web design and want to be able to create something of my own. thats the problem i have with blogging sites, sticking to their templates etc.
    ive never used wordpress.com so i cant really comment, im just guessing its the same! haha
    Do take a look at Wordpress.com - you can pay a fee (a few $$) to be allowed to put in your own CSS so you're not tied to a few templates that immediately identify who is hosting your blog!

You can't put Google ads on but you can otherwise do an amazing amount for very little money.

There is most popular blogspot you can use it for your blogging and it's better than other.

Quote Originally Posted by websushil View Post
    There is most popular blogspot you can use it for your blogging and it's better than other.
    Blogspot is now Blogger - a Google company.

As for whether it's better depends on what you want to do!

I use both but with its static pages I'd use Wordpress to get closer to a more "traditional" website feel.

What is your budget like?
    I believe you don't need much space for a blog.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized