First time selling a domain name

I have never sold a domain name before, and would appreciate some help with the nuts and bolts of it...

I have received an offer ($100.00) on one of my domain names, which I originally registered at EV1servers (tucows reseller). The buyer can pay with Paypal, but this will be his first domain purchase also.

I'm thinking that, after I receive payment, I could change all of the domain info (Organization, Technical, Billing, DNS, etc.)to the buyers', which would allow him to initiate a transfer to wherever he wants.

Am I on the right track, or is there a better way? I sent an email to ThePlanet who assumed EV1servers a while back, but have not yet received a response. I also performed a search here, but did not find a thread that was specific to my situation.

Thanks,
    Bob

Actually, I think if you change the WHOIS contact info it locks the domain, preventing transfers for 60 days. Can someone confirm this?

If it's a different registrar, I'd probably tell the buyer to initiate a transfer request at his registrar. You (assuming you're the admin contact) should get an email to confirm or deny the transfer. The domain cannot be in lock status though for a transfer to work.

If it's within the same registrar you can often do a free "push" to their account.
    [Lurking Glass] <- Not a webhost.

Haven't used ev1 domain names. Since it is a tucows reseller you should be able to have them create an account and transfer it. If not, having them initiate a transfer from another registrar and authorizing it is an ok way to go.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Quote Originally Posted by eviltechie View Post
    Actually, I think if you change the WHOIS contact info it locks the domain, preventing transfers for 60 days. Can someone confirm this?
    I don't believe this is the case. Just the same though, I would get the purchaser to initiate the transfer request, then you approve it when it comes through. Then after it successfully transfers, the purchaser can change the whois info himself/herself.
    Rob Moore
    DemoWolf.com - Video Support Tutorials for Web Hosting Providers - since 2005.
    Video Tutorials for cPanel, Plesk, WordPress, Email, DNS, FTP and more!
    Custom Video Factory | Video Tutorial Translations | Branded Video Tutorials