Softlayer member for months. But any Discount ?

I have been with Softlayer for 9 months and paying 204.00 each month. I was wondering if there would be any discount in the pricing assuming that I have already covered the server cost ?

You need to contact sales to see if there are any deals.. I doubt you will because your not a reseller selling there servers, now if you sold there servers you may get discounts on servers plus your own box.

Quote Originally Posted by pangolin123 View Post
    I have been with Softlayer for 9 months and paying 204.00 each month. I was wondering if there would be any discount in the pricing assuming that I have already covered the server cost ?
    Their only cost is the hardware? They are a business, not a charity. After the hardware cost is covered is when their profits start. Not to mention they have to keep margins to repay the cost of setting up all that fancy backend and automated system. No host will give you a discount for this reason, this is an almost ridiculous/unrealistic request.

The hardware would be depreciated over 12-18 months, so even if you think the cost is "covered", it actually isn't.

D
    Ditlev Bredahl. CEO,
    OnApp.com & SolusVM.com + Cloud.net & CDN.net

The server cost is only part of what you are paying for. You should consider recurring costs such as data center space, power, bandwidth, salaries and much more.

Tina Lerche
    Management
    http://EasySpeedy.com
    European Quality Unmanaged Server Hosting
    Remote Server Control included
    Network and Power Uptime - 99,98% since Jan. 2006

the only way to reduce your cost usually is to order another server that is now selling for less money and be prepared to move your data to it and cancel the old one. providers usually dont like to simply do price reductions.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Well, the way inflation is shooting up, you should be thankful they are not increasing the cost.. kidding
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    the only way to reduce your cost usually is to order another server that is now selling for less money and be prepared to move your data to it and cancel the old one. providers usually dont like to simply do price reductions.
    Providers usually dont like this 'trick' either
    Powered by Level3, GBLX and AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
    Providers usually dont like this 'trick' either
    Yes and no. Depends on the nature of the server move. If it is to upgrade to a better machine for the same or lower - long term most agree that is a good thing because it moves the customer to a newer platform. If its just to move to another exact machine -then no its not too exciting.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Why does everyone think a host is making a profit off of you soon as you sign up?
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

You should ask your power company the same thing and see what the response is. It should be the same as SoftLayers'.

Regards,

Was your server discounted when you got it? They have often run a $20 off servers promotion.

Keep watching the specials page, they usually have a discount.

You'd have to order the new server and cancel the old though.

Of course, as soon as you do cancel, they'll probably offer you a lower rate.

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    I am not sure if they allow or provide discounts to existing customers, cause the provider i being with does not offer that flexibility (aka only new customers get discounts and deals on new machines).
    Cheers

9 months WOW
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    9 months WOW
    Thats nothing the longest i been with a provider is 12 months , but thats gonaa change next month

lol 9 months is not really much from the eyes of a business. Try 10 years maybe? I've been with my current webhost (shared hosting) for about 2-3 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
    lol 9 months is not really much from the eyes of a business. Try 10 years maybe? I've been with my current webhost (shared hosting) for about 2-3 years now.
    Yup just got the yearly payment for the 3rd year of hosting from an old client, so yaa that does speak a lot for itself . But mind you he is talking about DEDICATED server provider not shared/reselling hosting, costs way more and has different factors involved while sticking to a provider.

Cheers

I know there are deals where the sales person would give you a coupon saying "free setup or half off or 3rd month free when signing up for a new server" superbservers they do that kind of stuff a lot... but never discounts to where you get money back each month, they will do discounts every once in a while to where you will receive like one month off or 10% off.. Things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Thats nothing the longest i been with a provider is 12 months , but thats gonaa change next month

The longest i was with one host renting out servers was 2 years until my partner stole my domain, site, clients and ran off... but im not here to talk about that just wanted to say 9 months is not long but its getting there

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    9 months WOW
    It must be a record, why else would he ask for a discount?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive View Post
    It must be a record, why else would he ask for a discount?
    haha thats mean!

After a year or two on a machine, it's usually worth it to move on and get a new machine. Not only can you get a faster machine for less, you'll also get some new hardware and maybe a new host.

I really try not to stay on a machine for more than a year... But, my oldest machine still running just turned 2 years old. I wasn't as good at automating setup, so it's harder to move stuff from that machine. erg.

Well if your going to stay with a host for 2 years why would you find a new host if you haven't found anything wrong with hem by 2 years and they have treated you good why would you leave em...?

Well if your going to stay with a host for 2 years why would you find a new host if you haven't found anything wrong with hem by 2 years and they have treated you good why would you leave em...?
    Well, I certainly didn't say I didn't find anything wrong. I have a very large server bill with w/ softlayer, and their support treats me like an idiot the few times I try to reach them.

The main reason though would be price and speed. You can easily find a machine that much faster and cheaper. When you're spending a lot on servers and can find another place to cut it in 1/2, it's pretty compelling.

They actually just offered to upgrade one of our machines ram free of charge. Lets just say I was a little confused when I got an email about a SL ticket being opened. I believe it was something about being such a great customer in 2007. Of course this was the only server we still had from 2007 and it's just a low end machine we manage for a customer.
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    PHP 5.3.x & PHP 5.4.x & PHP 5.5.X & PHP 5.6.X & PHP 7.0.X Support!

I never move unless I need to, since a server move is not an easy task specially if you have tons of data to transfer.

Now if I see a really good deal come up sometimes its worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by digdugdog View Post
    Well, I certainly didn't say I didn't find anything wrong. I have a very large server bill with w/ softlayer, and their support treats me like an idiot the few times I try to reach them.

The main reason though would be price and speed. You can easily find a machine that much faster and cheaper. When you're spending a lot on servers and can find another place to cut it in 1/2, it's pretty compelling.
    Very good point you made... It's very easy to find a cheaper deal but support, thats the issue we all have these days.. I know i talked with a domain guy today like where is my control panel for this domain all they said was you can not change your dns you must email us and we will change it.. I'm like well 2months ago you gave me a url to change it why can't you do this now.. 10mins go by and he finally realizes what im talking about... haha

I've been a loyal customer to SoftLayer since August 2006 (now have 7 servers with them) and have yet to be given such (not that I'm complaining... SL is worth every penny).

This has to be one the funniest things I've read this year.

However it was asked in a pleasant manner therefore I will reply in the same manner.

Softlayer have achieved the decent name they have by providing a better service than some other providers.

Support and hardware will always need updated and upgraded in order to maintain the already decent service they provide.

It costs a lot of money to improve all services involved in retaining that quality of service.

Sure there may be other companies offering the same kind of server but at a cheaper price perhaps than what you currently pay to Softlayer BUT will all the other boxes be ticked as compared to Softlayers. i.e uptime....quality of support etc.?

And for a few $$$'s extra, I'd say it has to be worth it.

OWM
    Last edited by Outlaw Web Master; 04-17-2008 at 05:00 AM.
    ()
    Life's what you make it.

I have been with softlayer from August 07'

In these 7 months I had little downtime and their service is one of the best...

They are doing more than they can so it's worth eating into their profits...

Whether or not the server cost was already covered shouldn't matter. We have all become victims of having older hardware at the cost of today's market. If you feel the server you signed up with is considerably cheaper, consider re-signing up or moving to a new host. If you don't think it's worth getting a new same server at a lower cost with the pains of doing a migration, that alone may justify just sticking with the current price plan.