Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg,South Africa
    Posts
    598

    Windows dedicated server help needed please, new to windows

    Hi all

    We recently got a client who's got two Windows 2003 servers, using HELM as a control panel, and running IIS & Exchange. The server has PHP 5.2.5 installed as CGI/FastCGI

    System Windows NT HF-IIS-SVR01 5.2 build 3790
    Build Date Nov 8 2007 23:18:08
    Configure Command cscript /nologo configure.js "--enable-snapshot-build" "--with-gd=shared"
    Server API CGI/FastCGI
    Virtual Directory Support enabled
    Configuration File (php.ini) Path C:\WINDOWS
    Loaded Configuration File C:\PHP\php.ini
    PHP API 20041225
    PHP Extension 20060613
    Zend Extension 220060519
    Debug Build no
    Thread Safety enabled
    Zend Memory Manager enabled
    IPv6 Support enabled
    Registered PHP Streams php, file, data, http, ftp, compress.zlib, https, ftps, zip
    Registered Stream Socket Transports tcp, udp, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tls
    Registered Stream Filters convert.iconv.*, string.rot13, string.toupper, string.tolower, string.strip_tags, convert.*, consumed, zlib.*
    Now, I'd like to add more PHP modules to PHP, how does one do it on Windows?

    And where can I get some good, easy to following tutorials on IIS & Exchange hosting?
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,183
    I think you can find some useful info on this page:

    http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/install...extensions.php

    For "how to's" about exchange and IIS I would do a search on google for what exactly you don't have an answer. Good luck with it.
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg,South Africa
    Posts
    598
    well, my problem is that this is a live server, so I don't want to try out new things on a client's live server ..... Any suggestions?

    Sorry, what I meant to say, is. I'd like to hear some feedback from someone with experience on downloading & installing all the extra extensions. Can it break something? Can it cause problems? I know on Linux, some combinations of PHP extensions can cause problems
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,183
    Basicly you can enable an extension and then you need to restart apache anyway for it to function. If it doesn't start ok then you can simply disable the extension again and restart apache So actually there's not much you can do wrong. If you are not too experienced with it, maybe agree on some Service Level Agreement with your host or an external company who can manage that system for you and enable / disable the necessary extensions.
    www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    330
    You would add your modules in php.ini in your PHP folder. Open your php.ini file and look for the block of EXTENSIONS. You should see something like this:

    ;extension=php_bz2.dll
    ;extension=php_curl.dll
    ;extension=php_dba.dll
    ;extension=php_dbase.dll
    ;extension=php_exif.dll
    ;extension=php_fdf.dll
    extension=php_gd2.dll
    ;extension=php_gettext.dll
    ;extension=php_gmp.dll
    ...... and more of these

    notice the semicolon at the beginning of each line? This means that these lines are commented out and are not being used...you would have to uncomment the line for your particular extension (or add the one it doesnt have).

    But you would still need to restart IIS for it to take effect.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg,South Africa
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by ServerBoost View Post
    Basicly you can enable an extension and then you need to restart apache anyway for it to function. If it doesn't start ok then you can simply disable the extension again and restart apache So actually there's not much you can do wrong. If you are not too experienced with it, maybe agree on some Service Level Agreement with your host or an external company who can manage that system for you and enable / disable the necessary extensions.
    Ok, so the same principle as on a Linux server, but it sounds a bit easier. On Linux things can sometimes go wrong when you compile new things into PHP, or Apache, and you need to redo the whole thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    You would add your modules in php.ini in your PHP folder. Open your php.ini file and look for the block of EXTENSIONS. You should see something like this:

    ;extension=php_bz2.dll
    ;extension=php_curl.dll
    ;extension=php_dba.dll
    ;extension=php_dbase.dll
    ;extension=php_exif.dll
    ;extension=php_fdf.dll
    extension=php_gd2.dll
    ;extension=php_gettext.dll
    ;extension=php_gmp.dll
    ...... and more of these

    notice the semicolon at the beginning of each line? This means that these lines are commented out and are not being used...you would have to uncomment the line for your particular extension (or add the one it doesnt have).

    But you would still need to restart IIS for it to take effect.

    Thanx I know PHP quite well, but only on Linux & UNIX, been running & maintaining Linux servers for a few years already. Windows is just new to me.
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    330
    Forgot to mention. Once you setup ur extension, just open a command prompt and type

    iisreset /restart


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    Forgot to mention. Once you setup ur extension, just open a command prompt and type

    iisreset /restart

    Don't even need the /restart. Just iisreset at the command prompt!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North West England
    Posts
    612
    depending on your IIS, you may not even need to restart IIS - i don't.
    Regards,
    Leigh

    Host High - reliable UK hosting

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    WebHostingTalk
    Posts
    8,878
    * Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

    Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg,South Africa
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyGuy82 View Post
    Forgot to mention. Once you setup ur extension, just open a command prompt and type

    iisreset /restart

    Thanx, nice trick

    Quote Originally Posted by sirius View Post
    * Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

    Sirius
    Thank you
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cochin
    Posts
    2,446
    Unlike Linux, php in windows is more like run time.All you need to do is place the required dll files in the extension directory and uncomment the same in php.ini.

    Once done iisreset /restart
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •