Need UK VPS provider

Hi,

I need a good UK VPS provider can someone please recommend me one?

I need 512Mb guaranteed RAM and 1GB Burstable. Need 20gb hard disk space.

Free clientexec license - Not a necessity.
    24/7 Proactive Monitoring - Necessity.

Thanks
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

May I recommend www.a2b2.com and www.cheapvps.co.uk, both brands are owned by Rus Foster who is very respected and trusted in the VPS industry.

I have had servers with him since 2005 and had no real problems in that time, support has always been good and the pricing is very fair for the service provided.

They use BlueSquare in Maidenhead, Berkshire by the way. Speeds on their network improved drastically approx 12 - 18 months ago and I can grab from my servers at stupid speeds at all times now (before the network upgrades the speeds were a bit slow most of the time as in 2 - 3Mbps max). Network uptime has always impressed, with generally 100% bar the odd spike every now and again (never noticed it down for longer then a few seconds).

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Another recommendation for a2b2 (managed) cheapvps.co.uk (unmanaged). I had my first vps from Rus when he was running the show at vpscolo. I am also having few VPS from him under his cheapvps.co.uk brand at various locations (US - UK) now for few years, all running smoothly.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

Hi,

I recommend you kualo.co.uk

Regards,
    DirectorioVPS · List of VPS plans around the world
    ComunidadHosting · The Largest Web Hosting Forum In Spanish!

Rus definitely knows what he's doing and has a lot of experience with VPS'.

For more premium brands - also take a look at Clook and Clustered.
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

I have been looking for a UK based VPS and have heard very good feedback regarding www.a2b2.com and Rus. My current VPS is due to expire next month so I am looking as well.

Only issue is the price which is higher with the managed server from a2b2

PN-Matt, do you need a UK-based company or a company with the DC in UK?
    FastNext - shared, reseller, clustered hosting, VPS, dedicated servers.

Free DNS Stuff - IP tools, DNS checking tools, ping, tracerout etc.

I need a UK based company with UK servers.

Please don't spam my PM inbox!

Thanks for the recommendations.
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

Matt, I know I may be stating the obvious, but I'll say it again anyway (lol).

<Guidie pooh type stuff>
    If you're getting unsolicited private messages with offers, report those to WHT, please. Those people need a serious hand smacking for not following the rules.
    </Guidie pooh type stuff>
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Quote Originally Posted by PN-Matt View Post
    Hi,

I need a good UK VPS provider can someone please recommend me one?

I need 512Mb guaranteed RAM and 1GB Burstable. Need 20gb hard disk space.

Free clientexec license - Not a necessity.
    24/7 Proactive Monitoring - Necessity.

Thanks
    Still looking?

Do you need management? Control panel software preferences? Virtualisation platform preferences? Budget?

I would definately reccomend a2b2.com - Great prices and support. Had nothing but good experiences with them.

I would recommend http://gbservers.co.uk they are very cheap, and support is next to best.
    Kody R.
    US Datacenter Operations Manager
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth

Aww... I preferred your original version ("next to none")

Do you have personal experience of their services?

They are very cheap I agree with you, but there are a few points:

* Low spec. nodes (this obviously depends how many VPS's are on there, but (single?) Core2Duo CPU for example is poor in comparison to what a lot of other providers generally use so you _may_ end up with a lower amount of CPU power).

* Only open for a year!? Not really proven/experienced IMO - their status page seems to confirm plenty of recent issues? (also posted without much technical detail or timestamps - e.g. I wonder what time they scheduled that downtime for?)

* Proactive monitoring requirement (assuming refering to VPS rather than node/network) of OP implies management is desirable, which they don't seem to offer?

I'm with VT6 atm, they're quite good. Check out my mini review here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...46&postcount=3

For what you need 512/20gb etc you could get the diamond package but there's a promo atm where you can get it for £17pm. On that package its 512 guaranteed with 1.5g burst with 30gig.

All UK based

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...36&postcount=1

Regards,

Jonaid

Quote Originally Posted by damien_ls View Post
    Aww... I preferred your original version ("next to none")

Do you have personal experience of their services?

They are very cheap I agree with you, but there are a few points:

* Low spec. nodes (this obviously depends how many VPS's are on there, but (single?) Core2Duo CPU for example is poor in comparison to what a lot of other providers generally use so you _may_ end up with a lower amount of CPU power).

* Only open for a year!? Not really proven/experienced IMO - their status page seems to confirm plenty of recent issues? (also posted without much technical detail or timestamps - e.g. I wonder what time they scheduled that downtime for?)

* Proactive monitoring requirement (assuming refering to VPS rather than node/network) of OP implies management is desirable, which they don't seem to offer?
    Hello,

As we don't host many VPS per node, the hardware we use is more than enough. You’re looking at an average of 8 VPS per server. We have quiet a few servers which are completely full and yet we have had feedback from clients stating that our servers handle there websites etc better than there previous hosts which are some quite well known companies.

Our status page shows basically everything which some other companies would hide, we feel its best to be honest about issues we have had. And if you look the problems where all based on our first VPS node, which was installed into the datacenter in December. Thanks to these problems on the first node, we have managed to build all our recent nodes without these problems. Hence why our 3 newest VPS nodes that have been installed have not been mentioned on the status page.

The latest problem on the status page is from the datacenter, regarding its network, not ours. So this cannot be held responsible to ourselves, we could have hidden this email from clients, but yet again, we found it best to alert them of possible downtime.

I appreciate your feedback on the lack of technical details and timestamps; I will take that feedback so we can post more detailed status reports in the future.

All the services GBServers offers are unmanaged; we provide support for problems with the VPS itself, not the software installed onto it.

I hope this has helped.

Kind regards,
    Mark G.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

We've had a VPS with GBServers for about 5 months, and have not had any problems - connectivity has been reliable and even with a relatively CPU-intensive application we haven't any problems with CPU resources. Even if the hardware is a bit underpowered compared to other providers, using Xen means that they can't oversell the resources that they have - I'd rather have that scenario than a Quad-Core running heavily oversold OpenVZ.
    Panopta | Never Blinks
    Advanced Server Monitoring and Outage Management Solutions

http://www.panopta.com | sales@panopta.com