* Title Tags, Meta Tags and SEO - Keyword Density or Keyword Spamming?

There has been a lot of talk about the title tags and meta tags being one of the more weighted ore important factors when concerning SEO.

So my questions are these....

1. How does one formulate a Good Title Tag? how important are the title tags vs other variable? im guessing title tags are at the top of the list in the google algorithm for weight.

2. How long should title tags be, and is going beyong 65 characters ok, even though you dont see it for the results? is it still being factored?

3. Is repeating certain keywords over and over keyword spamming or improving keyword density, how do keywords get analyzed in the title tags and description tags?

4. How many unique keywords should be in the title tags and description tags?

5. What is the science behind Title tags and description tags, as well as meta tag generation?

In speaking with an SEO GURU, he said Never repeat the same keyword twice in the title tags, what do yall think about this? What is your science of writing good title tags?

What is the science behind keywords for you? what is your unique theory on title tags, metatags, description tags etc.....
    Visit today: PHP and Design Talk, Tutorials & Discussion
    http://www.goodphptutorials.com/

I would name the page in the title and not go overboard with it.Use whatever keyword you are optin' for.

Keywords-if you going to place them in every alt image tag dont,as its kind obvious whats going on there.Just try to make them work(read well) in your content and use the h1 tags if you can

I have found that if you just write for human consumption and not the SE you will do well,as most fail at this.

If you really want to turn on the SE apply LSI to your content.(google that if not familiar)

the description tag is what everyone will see in SE results take your time at this and write a good sales pitch here.

The key to a good title tag is that it simply explains the content of the page that it is on.. No more, no less.. It really is that simple..

The 65 character limit isn't a hard and fast "rule", but titles that are whole paragraphs are worthless.. The trick is to make sure that your keyword/phrase is at the front of your title then it doesn't matter if you go long. .Let the search engines decide where to cut it off and don't worry about it..

Keeping that in mind, you really don't have the room to repeat your keyword over and over anyway.. So that second third or forth repeat of your keyword is taking up real estate that can be better used for other words..
    Steve
    Metal Monster Marketing : Internet Marketing

I have had success using niche keywords in titles. For example if you have a webpage about Dog Food, instead of just adding in Dog Food.. play with it

<title> Your source for Organic Dog Food - Dry Dog Food - Natural Dog Food</title> etc...

I've seen some with brackets:

<title> Your source for Organic Dog Food [ Dry Dog Food ] [ Natural Dog Food ]</title>. Whatever you prefer...

Some people edit the title like if you had it on a sitemap such as:

<title>Webpage Title Keyword - Directory Keyword - Website Keyword</title>

as in:

1 page
    <title>Organic Dog Food Products - Dry Pet Food - The really awesome Pet Store</title>

2 page
    <title>Natural Cat Food PRoducts - Canned Pet Food - The really awesome Pet Store</title>

etc...
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

Title tags should be kept short and desciptive of the website.
    On description tags, make it as descriptive and interesting as possible so as to entice people to click on your link in the SERP.

Just a universal answer on the queries of the OP - keep eveything to a minimal. Everything in excess isn't healthy, so to speak
    OneIMS.com - Internet Marketing and SEO

1. Your title and description should be unique from your competitors. (No cut & paste from websites)
    2. Experts say 60-65 is a good length, but I prefer 70-75 to eatup the competition
    3. Spamming would never increase your word density or rankings. Years ago I had tried it practically and thrown away above 100 sites
    4. No exact count for unique keywords
    5. No science behind Title/Description. Google decides the rules.

Theory: Newton's Third Law of Motion :LOL:

So you think its ok to repeat the same keywords over and over? more than once?

Quote Originally Posted by websoltech View Post
    3. Spamming would never increase your word density or rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by websoltech View Post
    There is a difference between repeating the same keyword and combinating the keywords with other words. Look at the above example about Dog Food.
    My advice is to think about your visitors. The title should be descriptive, even if it consists from the keywords. Otherwise people just won't click at your site on SERP.
    FastNext - shared, reseller, clustered hosting, VPS, dedicated servers.

Free DNS Stuff - IP tools, DNS checking tools, ping, tracerout etc.

10. I guess this are the requirements for the title optimization:
    - title should reflect the content that you have on the page
    - the optimal number of words for the title- 5-12, character length up to 75 symbols
    - the keywords should be places as close as possible to the beginning of the title
    - since you are writing the title not for the search engines only but for people to go to your website from the serps, the title has to be descriptive and it has to be unique to attract attention
    - make sure the title is the first tag in the head section and that there are no tags before it
    - the title should be unique for every page of your website
    - you can put your company’s name in the title tag, even place it at the very begining of the tag
    - keywords should reflect the geographical region where you are primarily seeking client
    - don't use all CAPS

If you are stuck for a decent Title & Description, query the term you intend targeting with your particular page and checkout the top 10 or 20 results and their Title's.

Generally you will notice a pattern in the words used and their structure, try and emulate this while still making yours unique. Also note, out of all the top results what one draws your attention the most and work out why it does. It could be a call to action, short and to the point or maybe the inclusion of a phone number in the description.

Try and utilize a technique that will make it stand out more than the most prominent one in the top 10. Also Google bolds keyword/phrase matches in the SERP's, try and take advantage of this by including your main keywords first in the Title & Description. Eye tests show most people scan down the left side of the page taking in the first few words of each result so having your words in this location bolded can help click throughs.

Also doubling up on keywords in the title isn't a bad thing if done right, for instance i just checked and i'm #4 for "SEO" and i have that term twice.
    Great Host = WiredTree.com Managed VPS Hosting

is there a way to run a robot on google for lets say a 1000 keywords an analyze how popular keywords and search results come up, to find a general formula for figuring out googles algorithm for title tags and description tags?

on SEO expert told me never repeat any keyword more than twice, does anyone else agree with this philosophy?

13. I don't think that making so many tests makes sense, you won't find out the way that Google works. There are basic concepts listed in this topic for the title optimization and actually you can try it on your own website. I mean you can get indexed with one title and see your position, then update the title, get indexed again and wee what happens, actually you can find more info about this in webmaster tools area of google. But do not forget that it's not only the title that plays the role and personally I wouldn't spend some much time to choosing it.
    We designed Hostgator.com

More than about 65 characters will not be indexed.

Page titles should reflect accurately the content of the page

Put you main key word as close to the beginning of the title as possible

Remember that the title is almost always used as the SERP title, so it should read well and be a part of your effort to get users to click on your link,

The page title should be read as a part single message when combined with the meta description in the SERPS. While the description is not always used you should review how your descriptions are being formulated in the SERPs and make changes as necessary for a cohesive call to action in the serps
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London

Quote Originally Posted by Melnel View Post
    More than about 65 characters will not be indexed.

Page titles should reflect accurately the content of the page

Put you main key word as close to the beginning of the title as possible

Remember that the title is almost always used as the SERP title, so it should read well and be a part of your effort to get users to click on your link,

The page title should be read as a part single message when combined with the meta description in the SERPS. While the description is not always used you should review how your descriptions are being formulated in the SERPs and make changes as necessary for a cohesive call to action in the serps
    Very well stated, Mel.

1. How does one formulate a Good Title Tag? how important are the title tags vs other variable? im guessing title tags are at the top of the list in the google algorithm for weight.
    Title speaks for the content and your service. Yea they are top of the list in google.

2. How long should title tags be, and is going beyong 65 characters ok, even though you dont see it for the results? is it still being factored?
    Keywords bring your site in google SERP and your title makes the user click.

3. Is repeating certain keywords over and over keyword spamming or improving keyword density, how do keywords get analyzed in the title tags and description tags?
    Its spamming ofcourse, but varies slightly on when and where you use. Description tags... hmm it does not have much weight but keywords in title tags should not make it look like another meta keyword tags though

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    Title speaks for the content and your service. Yea they are top of the list in google.

Keywords bring your site in google SERP and your title makes the user click.

Its spamming ofcourse, but varies slightly on when and where you use. Description tags... hmm it does not have much weight but keywords in title tags should not make it look like another meta keyword tags though
    Sorry but I think you may be a little mixed up here. Page titles are important but they are not the most important ranking factor in Google. That would IMO be relevant anchor text links,

As for your second statement I'll try to figure out what it is you're trying to say before I comment, but you should not mistake the importance of the meta description tag, if only from the standpoint that its one of the few tools available to you to help convince searchers to click thru to your site,
    I plan to live forever - so far so good
    Expert SEO |Sash Windows London