Thread: RAM prices

RAM prices

I'm looking at the configuration for some of the European providers (hetzner.de and keyweb.de) and I'm wondering how come they can sell for about $150/month 8GB of RAM and 2x750GB HDD while SoftLayer (for a similar configuration, not a one to one match) over $300 with only 4GB of RAM. LayeredTech for 2x500 (no option for 750) with 2GB of RAM about $260.

I don't care about HDD (for what I'm doing 250GB is plenty), but I can always use more RAM, and $25/month for 1GB of RAM as an upgrade I think it's too much. (SL and LT are you listening?!).

I understand that the more RAM they give away the less machines we will buy, but where's the competition here? Why aren't they competing a little on prices with these Europeans?

As a side note: I'm a SL customer and very happy with them (zero problems); just frustrated about the price discrepancy now that I'm looking into bumping the RAM a bit.

Vent over,
    Thanks.

you have to check that their ram is normal ram or ECC ram.

german ones are always the cheapest

I've noticed that too actually I was just saying in another thread, for the monthly price it costs to upgrade ram I could actually BUY a stick of ram every month, for my home servers. Specially now, ram itself is super cheap to buy. I would prefer just buying and shipping it to the data center lol.

I can't really complain as I got a super good deal on 2GB at the planet, but I know if I want to upgrade to 4GB in the future it may hurt, each month.

Quote Originally Posted by vicsec View Post
    you have to check that their ram is normal ram or ECC ram.
    I'm not versed in RAM prices, but after a quick search online I was able to find 1GB ECC RAM for about $50. SL uses ECC, hetzner doesn't specify.

yah, $25/m/GB ram is pretty expensive.

because all these fancy servers that you want for so cheap, and all the network gear, and all the power redundancy, and all the techs, and all the uptime costs more money than just $159/month can give you.
    thats before the company makes any profit.

this is business, not charity organizations. if you want to buy your own ram, or buy cheaper hardware then DO IT and colocate!

Yeah, they might not make much money on the server itself, but they'll try to make it up wherever possible--upgrades, overages, etc.

Ask them if they have a buy out option. That's what I did with my provider for a larger hard drive. It's a bigger fee, but saves money after a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona102190 View Post
    Yeah, they might not make much money on the server itself, but they'll try to make it up wherever possible--upgrades, overages, etc.

Ask them if they have a buy out option. That's what I did with my provider for a larger hard drive. It's a bigger fee, but saves money after a few months.
    I agree, every provider I've been with has been able to do this for me. If you plan on renting the server for more than a couple months then it's well worth it.

Regards,
    Jerret

softlayer can do that too?

If you add the SL double ram and disk deal into it, their prices are pretty good then
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by meyu View Post
    softlayer can do that too?
    Softlayer's a little bigger and I'm not sure if they are willing to be as flexible. I would just ask a sales rep, it just depends on how much they want your business.

Cheers,
    Jerret

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    because all these fancy servers that you want for so cheap, and all the network gear, and all the power redundancy, and all the techs, and all the uptime costs more money than just $159/month can give you.
    thats before the company makes any profit.

this is business, not charity organizations. if you want to buy your own ram, or buy cheaper hardware then DO IT and colocate!
    not charity organizations, so thats what i have been doing wrong for all these years
    Jon Black