Issue with cron - GET command not found

after domain moved to new server we receive this email alert when cron job run (set under cpanel)

/bin/sh: GET: command not found

?

Tx
    We need server tuning for improve mass mailing list. Please send PM if have knowledge
    TX

what is the cron job about and can you paste the script thats run as cron ?
    Sam
    Supportlobby.com - Expertise in Windows/Linux server support, IaaS and PaaS Management
    Spiralbean.com - Custom Software Development
    Email: exec @ activelobby.net | Skype: unni_active

Make sure the wget binary is installed and you have access to it as that user. That's not going to solve everything, but it could possibly resolve this

You could also change the command to something like wget "http://domain/file.php", or curl -k http://domain/file.php

GET is typically a system alias, it's entirely possible that the 'new server' you moved to doesn't support it, as more and more updated systems are killing aliases like this due to abuse.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    Make sure the wget binary is installed and you have access to it as that user. That's not going to solve everything, but it could possibly resolve this

You could also change the command to something like wget "http://domain/file.php", or curl -k http://domain/file.php

GET is typically a system alias, it's entirely possible that the 'new server' you moved to doesn't support it, as more and more updated systems are killing aliases like this due to abuse.

wget is installed, I can use it from ssh

How can I set alias of wget to get ?

Thanks
    We need server tuning for improve mass mailing list. Please send PM if have knowledge
    TX

Your best bet is to just change the cron as suggested. GET shouldn't be used, rather wget, lynx, curl, as suggested. GET is unsupported on later systems for security reasons, and that, most likely is just what happened here.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

TX

why do people use GET? Why don't you just use curl for remote files and cat for local files?

ln -s /usr/bin/curl /usr/bin/GET

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    why do people use GET? Why don't you just use curl for remote files and cat for local files?

more customer on this server have setting cron with GET..

with the ln they can use GET ?

tx
    TX

I have try

and after I have create alias

alias GET='/usr/bin/GET'

seems work
    TX

but this works as GET ?

> devnull not work, how to set this with alias / ln

thx

ps. I have check on the old server and have found GET under /usr/bin/
    TX

If you need the > /dev/null to work you would have to link GET with wget and not curl.
    NOT a webhost!helping here just for the fun of it!
    G(r)eek inside.

Quote Originally Posted by tix3 View Post
    If you need the > /dev/null to work you would have to link GET with wget and not curl.
    you're wrong. just use the -s flag.

[email protected][~] $ curl -s google.com > /dev/null
    [email protected][~] $

You are right ub3r.He would have to update his alias to i think.
    NOT a webhost!helping here just for the fun of it!
    G(r)eek inside.

uhm :'(

I have tried

ln -s /usr/bin/wget /usr/bin/GET

but receive permission denied

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/GET: Permission denied
    TX

you have to be root to run that.

you have to be root to run that.
    :/

but cron is set by user directly under your cpanel

so get / wget must can be run from user

how to this ?

tx
    Last edited by webstyler; 04-13-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    TX

Just because a file has 755/root:root permissions doesn't mean it will be run by root. It will be executed on the user's accesslevel. YOu just need to be root in order to edit files in /usr/bin/

Just because a file has 755/root:root permissions doesn't mean it will be run by root. It will be executed on the user's accesslevel. YOu just need to be root in order to edit files in /usr/bin/
    uhm.. but so, why receive

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/GET: Permission denied

?

Tx
    TX

update

I have chmod 755 and seems GET run

BUT

He download php file.. I need to run it not downloaded

tx
    TX

What does your crontab line look like? Also, do you know anything about linux, or are you just using an unmanaged service because you can't afford a managed service?

Also, i'd like to note that this is another example for my argument that web designers should never attempt server administration.

What does your crontab line look like?
    I use it for lunch php script

Also, do you know anything about linux, or are you just using an unmanaged service because you can't afford a managed service?
    I'm really newbie on linux
    But I haven't ask to come a guru..
    I have only ask how to make GET run on my server
    TX

Also, i'd like to note that this is another example for my argument that web designers should never attempt server administration.
    I don't understand this post and don't understand how this can help anyone.

I think that forum is also for learning basic operation and this is really basic...
    TX

I use it for lunch php script
    Dude, alright. You should just be running this:

curl -s http://yourdomain.com/somefile.php > /dev/null

If you run it as a normal user, it won't be executed with root-level permissions. It doesn't matter what the permissions of the /usr/bin/curl file are, if you run it as a user, it'll be executed that way. Just because you see some html output doesn't mean it isn't being executed. If you see php code, which I doubt you even know how to recognize, then that's a reason to be concerned. However, You should never have even started using the "GET" command because it's only something that idiots who don't have any first hand knowledge of linux type when they are put into an ssh console. You will use curl, and you will stop using GET, and you'll like it.

I don't understand this post and don't understand how this can help anyone.

I think that forum is also for learning basic operation and this is really basic...
    It's helpful to society because there aren't any web designers who know what they're doing when it comes to programming, or administrating a server. If more people knew this, we wouldn't be wasting our time giving you simplistic explanations the first time, and would be able to give you a long, drawn out, pointless-for-the-rest-of-us explanations instead. Furthermore, you're contributing to the downfall of the internet by attempting to admin this server by yourself, because a good portion of what's on your server is probably going to remain unupdated in the years to come, and you're probably going to get hacked, and your server is going to end up being used as part of a botnet which some teenagers will use to attack the rest of us. So thanks a lot, webstyler.

tx x suggest

I don't lost time to answer to second quote.. this is your idea.. not mine.. I'm not a web designer, we have more than 1 server and have sysadmin that take server secure BUT we would like to know more simple and basic operation and for this reason we work for basic operation on 1 server where there are few little customer.. I don't must this tell you, but I think this it's helpful to society..
    Last edited by webstyler; 04-14-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    TX