How to Train your Webhosting Staff?

Hello,

I was wondering how you guys train your Webhosting staff? Right now, i have never done any trianing, I have always just done a thing where if they have questions they ask, but i dont think it is working how I planned, and I do not know how to train the staff. Any information would be helpful.

Regards,
    Ryan

You can put together a type of manual that's specific to your company and outlines how staff is to handle certain procdedures - ie, when to escalate a ticket to management, handling a rude customer, and so on. Have a demo/instructions of how your helpdesk works (if they are responsible for manning it) to help them find their way around it more easily. Get an idea of the most common questions your staff is/has asked and add those as well. Some here at WHT have mentioned having a wiki accessible to only management/staff, which makes keeping it updated much easier.

You probably expect your staff to know how to do the technical part of their jobs (setting up accounts, handling billing issues, and so on), so theoretically you should be able to focus more on how you'd like them to do/handle things in your company.

Hope this helps!
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

Normally we have manuals, but the main training is OJT under which the new staff is trained by a senior staff. I think OJT should be the most efficient under such working conditions.

Of course besides OJT, there are the customary MCSE etc certifications which needed to be train by outside organization.

Quote Originally Posted by boonchuan View Post
    Normally we have manuals, but the main training is OJT under which the new staff is trained by a senior staff. I think OJT should be the most efficient under such working conditions.

Of course besides OJT, there are the customary MCSE etc certifications which needed to be train by outside organization.
    Certifications would increase the confidence of the user. Normally its the senior staffs or mentors who take up this job to train accordingly.

We do OJT and have extensive internal documentation, including a wiki.

Then once a year, we all meet in one place (we are spread across 2 countries) for a company "retreat" for a few days and train together, as well as doing some fun activities like going go-karting, dinners, etc. I think this year we'll go to Bangkok

I think that the best way is unusual situations. Very close to the real ones. I think that you can imitate them
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Challenge always would be the new staff..well , besides manuals probably what you can do is in your training schedule put aside a week or maximum two weeks where the new staff teams up /buddies up with an experienced staff in real time operations ; that he he /she gets an hang of the real thing ..coz any amount of training in the training room or reading manuals can do do only so much ..the real experience would mean a lot
    SupportExpertz.com - the name says it all!
    Managed Cloud Servers
    Server Management and Monitoring
    24x7 outsourced customer support

We have a wiki and go through a 2 day intensive training plan with all new starters. That covers everything from where to find information to what our different clients SLAs are.
    Toby
    Xeo Solutions - Discovering Innovation
    Managed Service Provider & Cloud Hosting | Launching Late August 2019

Precisely! The certs themselves aren't much use as what they are doing are more than what the cert is examining. But you do find more confidence in the staff after completing the course. So I would consider it a worthwhile investments.

This also helps to show that at least the company take care of them, with more of such certs, when the time comes that they feel they need a new working environment, such certs will certainly increase their value in the work market.

Quote Originally Posted by Biju View Post
    Certifications would increase the confidence of the user. Normally its the senior staffs or mentors who take up this job to train accordingly.

Only issue with training is that once trained you must do something to make sure that you keep your team and they are not poached off by other hosts that are willing to pay more than you. So remember to write something into your contracts to prevent this!
    Toby
    Xeo Solutions - Discovering Innovation
    Managed Service Provider & Cloud Hosting | Launching Late August 2019

Get some manuals and show live demo for the staff. If the staff understand what you say, you are somewhat safe. If they don't understand after training three to four times, fire them and get a new one.

Note: First teach the command rm -rf and its impacts LOL
    Last edited by inway; 04-14-2008 at 01:24 PM. Reason: custom
    Inway - India's Most Trusted Web Host
    █ SSD Web Hosting + CMS + Email Solutions Simplified
    Visit us at Web Hosting India