what kind of resources does a typical webhost need?

Lets say I host a good 20 sites using 100GB of bandwidth each per month. (forums, cmses etc)

What kind of resources would that need in average? would 1GB of ram cut it?

I'm working on merging my hosting and my game server unto same server. The game server VM has been setup but I noticed with it running, the server load average is sitting at nearly 1.0. So would that cripple hosting?

A load average of 1.0 is not high, or unreasonable.

Lets say I host a good 20 sites using 100GB of bandwidth each per month. (forums, cmses etc)
    I'm no expert but 20 sites with 100GB each amounts to 2GB of traffic that is mostly MySQL powered (forum, CMS, right?). This really seems a lot even for a powerful dedicated server, let alone for one split between gaming and hosting.

And I don't even think it's ok to put gaming and hosting on the same server.

A load of 1 is not high (especially if you have multiple cores) but when you will bring 20 x 100GB MySQL traffic on it, the load will not stay at 1. What machine do you have anyway?

You will need to look at the spec of your machine, and what resources the sites actually take up. ie. Do the sites have lots of customisation? (these increase the load on the server).

I would say though that merging a game server and web server isn't necessarily a good thing. For example, if one of the sites you host feature on Digg or Slashdot etc, it'll severely affect the game performance.
    Regards,
    Leigh

Host High - reliable UK hosting

The requirements for gameservers and webhosting servers are different, it's not a very good idea having them both run on the same machine. However, on a very powerful setup, you could get away with it.
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

well, it's not advisable to merge as both sound resource hungry... if you just consider hosting, it really depends on the number of visitors you get... 1Gb RAM.. No way.. you need somewhere between 4-12GB depending on traffic.. Atleast quad core even for regular traffic.. IMO
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Wow did not figure hosting would be that hard on ram... problem is ram is very expensive. I could buy more ram for my home servers every month for the same price of a single ram upgrade on a dedicated server.

Reason I'm merging is to try and save money then I want to potentially offer some hosting to try and make up the cost of the server, that that point I probably wont do more hosting.

I'm on the dual xeon deal at The Planet. 140ish per month its normally like 270ish. So could not pass up that deal and at same time decided to virtualize the game server. It uses a fraction of my 10mbps on it's current server and now I have 100mbps so bandwidth itself wont be an issue that I know.

I could maybe also aim for small hosting packages only, like 500MB space and 10GB transfer, though I'd nearly have to give that way for free and just depend on ads or something, as most hosts are way higher then that.

I may also just think up of another service I can offer on the linux box, really all I'm looking for is to find something to make up for the server cost. So if anyone has ideas other then hosting, I'm willing to take them. Hosting just seems like the simplest of them.