Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* AWH reduced their bandwidth allowance?

I was planning to move to AWH in a couple of weeks but just saw they reduced the bandwidth from 60Gb per month to 10Gb per month for their basic account

why would they do that.

According to their announcement on their forum page, the 60gb bandwidth was part of a special offer which just expired.

http://forums.alwayswebhosting.com/s...=&threadid=579
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

eddy why didn't u tell me earlier

He only posted 6 minutes after you questioned us

hey wait.. they had stopped new sign ups on AWH and had a email for mailing list replies whenever the next turn is ready.. and i got their email on Friday saying i was ready to sign up.. so i was gathering some data from old servers and was about to move soon when i saw this. Will Ronnie consider me as a vetran and have me in ?

I am sure that if you emailed them they could cut you come slack or a make you a deal. If not post the offer in the Web Hosting Requests forum and see if anybody can match it

Good on them if they drop that from 60GB to 10GB. Maybe the 60GB bait was attracting the wrong kinda fish?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by SalmanKhana
    eddy why didn't u tell me earlier
    Well, I did not know about it either. When I saw your post, I went to AWH and see what was going on and thus my posting.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Do you guys really think anyone else could match AWH's plan ? I seriously doubt it !

anyway i'll talk to Ronnie ,

My Dear Ronnie, where art thou ?

Well, I am seriously doubting the possibility of anyone matching AWH prior plans and still be able to stay afloat.

60gb is pretty much close to what a dedicated plan is about.

Another thing, if you show your signature to reddi-web , they might cut you some slack and give you the bandwidth you need.

But seriously, you could try posting your requirements in Web Hosting Request and see if anyone bites.

yah i love reddi-web.com and the guy has been so supportive even before i was his customer but now i want to move to Unix environment from windows..

main reason : I see everyone here talking about linux and php so i thought of moving from asp to php. also my professor in college prefers php whom i'll do senior project with... last reason there are variety of servers for linux lesser priced than windows.. and my site is all about non profit community site for south asians in usa. so i want a lesser deal but some what reliable.

also the guy at reddi-web says he will up my limit but i dont wanna be a burden on him and still get worried more and more. .. hez cool but i am worried.

anyway ur right eddy..... 60 Gb is what impressed me. if AWH gives the plan its giving now.. i will stick with ASP and windows

SalmanKhana,

Well, I was thinking of moving from the Linux environment to Windows because some of my requirements involved ISAPI and custom server development but probably in the future, I may just get an account from reddi-web. That is while maintaining a dedicated Linux server for my bandwidth needs.

Maybe what you could do is to balance your site load by moving some resources over to a linux while still maintaining the Windows setup.

Do you guys really think anyone else could match AWH's plan ? I seriously doubt it !
    anyone could easily match those types plans. It's easy to oversell low grade servers and stuff them full of accounts. However, building a long term stable business with good support and with profitable and stable servers is another thing altogether.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

eddy i think you are right about moving some resources to linux.

But I'll have to pay for two places. hmmmm.. i am familiar with asp since been using snitz forums for more than a year. and want to have it as a primary content management thing in the background.

i can have my website address.com on windows and same address.net on linux ..... will that work ?

tell me how should i work about it ?

*u might wanna tell Huw of reddi-web.com that salman let u know him about * .

At least, Ronnie is still backing his past offer.
    Please note: Current customers will not be impacted by this change -- They will still enjoy the bandwidth limits that were offered when they joined AWH.

Salman,

Yes, having a .com on Windows and .net on a linux would work. But if your site is primarily hosting a single snitz forums, I am not sure how data transfers between the two sites would work.

True, I do not deny that paying for two places for a non-profit site would be a pain. If there are other resources such as other non forum related pages, you might be able to move out to somewhere else.

For me, our major sites allows both our clients and potential ones to download our applications. The main site is hosted on a dedicated server and the mirror on a AWH site. Earlier it was on two shared hosts which make sense but now that I have a dedicated server, the plan does not make quite much sense.

Of course, I signed up with AWH on an annual plan and since there is no refund or anything on such a plan, I would probably hold on to it for the remaining of the term. I can't resell so there is no way I could transfer the site to you or something What can we do ?

I'm in with AWH now . i proved that i was inside on 16th.

So now the question is , I have resources, somepicture galleries, some text info and graphical tables inside pages n all on my site.

Since reddi-web.com gave me 10 mulitple domains on my account, and some nice stuff and i am so familiar with snitz.......

the challenge will be to use windows hosting efficiently. can you point me to where i can learn how to do that or advise me in pm's or over here

Lets see what i've thought here :-

Priority : using snitz as a content management software. want to move to phpbb or any other forum software since users can post pictures inside forum and that makes life full of worries cuz of bandwidth. ... or completely move to phpbb with php content management software and no worries ?

tell me what to do please. its hard to afford both

AWH replaced their bandwidth limitation special with a "rescue me from poor hosting" special.

You have to understand that for a company to remain competitive, they can't just hand over the farm to each and every enterprising consumer. For the low level plan that they offer, 10GB of bandwidth is very reasonable.

You could probably find someone who will offer you more for the same or less...but 10 to 1 odds are that when you raise you champagne glass to toast in the new year, you'll be looking for another web host as well

I was burned three times in a row by hosts shutting their doors. I know how much it sucks.

I'm in with AWH now . i proved that i was inside on 16th.

Lets see what i've thought here :-

Priority : using snitz as a content management software. want to move to phpbb or any other forum software since users can post pictures inside forum and that makes life full of worries cuz of bandwidth. ... or completely move to phpbb with php content management software and no worries ?

tell me what to do please. its hard to afford both
    Cool! Snitz and PhpBB forums are probably incompatiable in terms of the database they use and to move them without losing the data or finding a way to convert from one format to another would not be an easy task.

With that said, you could run the PhpBB on the AWH site, get familiar with it and try to set up identical forums over. If losing the current database is no issue then just do the switch move to PhpBB and shut the Snitz account once the transfer is completed and DNS populated.

Alternatively, hold on to both for the time being and see how you could move the data over then close the Windows holding.

I think the database can be converted because at phpbb, they have a migrator for it.

Will i find good content management scripts for php around?

I think the database can be converted because at phpbb, they have a migrator for it.

Will i find good content management scripts for php around?

COol! If you have a migrator then that should not be an issue but I do not see a Snitz to PhpBB converter listed on their website. I guess I am not looking at it hard enough.

For PHP scripts, you could check out
    http://www.hotscripts.com or http://www.cgiresources.com .

eddy : the snitz to phpbb converter are on phpbb site ofcourse snitz wont promote other BB on their own site.

thanks for the links..and wish me luck

i bought 2 fat books from amazon last week for PHP.. will start studying once my new layout is out tonight

06-18-2002 - "We fully honor the 60 GB/month plan, we have and always will."

07-12-2002 - AWH announces shared hosting price change.

07-15-02 - "we are 100% willing to handle the repercussions of our offerings, such as the bandwidth costs, purchasing additional servers as appropriate, etc. We have 800+ happy clients and close to 15 servers and have had no issues related to overselling or not offering what we promise."

08-20-2002 - "Discontinuing the higher bandwidth limits is just one of the ways we have increased server reliability and stability."

08-19-2002 - AWH announces bandwidth limit adjustment.

"We were proud to offer 60 GB/month for our last 9 months of operation. However, our limited-time 60 GB/month bandwidth offer has expired. Effective immediately (8/17/2002)"

All of a sudden this was a "limited-time offer? Eitherway, sounds like overselling bandwidth to attract new clients has finally caught up with AWH. Who would have ever guessed?

I wonder what happens with the customers that signed up when they offered unlimited bandwidth. Back then, they said they would honor that for those customers even though they switched to 60gb/month.

Originally posted by kreativ
    I wonder what happens with the customers that signed up when they offered unlimited bandwidth. Back then, they said they would honor that for those customers even though they switched to 60gb/month.
    Well, I believe when they say that they will honor them, they would honor them. No point going against a promise or else you get tons of angry customers. So far we have not heard any complains from any of those yet as far as I know.

Ronnie and his team are honest people as far as I know and they have never dealt with me dishonestly in any way.

Originally posted by eddy2099

COol! If you have a migrator then that should not be an issue but I do not see a Snitz to PhpBB converter listed on their website. I guess I am not looking at it hard enough.

For PHP scripts, you could check out
    http://www.hotscripts.com or http://www.cgiresources.com .

Why look for php scripts at cgiresources.com :p

http://php.resourceindex.com is the correct link

Originally posted by phpcoder

Why look for php scripts at cgiresources.com :p

http://php.resourceindex.com is the correct link
    Well, because at Cgiresources.com there are about 687 PHP scripts which are listed there the last time I checked.

Originally posted by kreativ
    How many web site (excluding big business) you know that use over 60 gig?
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Originally posted by Curtis H.

07-15-02 - "we are 100% willing to handle the repercussions of our offerings, such as the bandwidth costs, purchasing additional servers as appropriate, etc. We have 800+ happy clients and close to 15 servers and have had no issues related to overselling or not offering what we promise."

08-20-2002 - "Discontinuing the higher bandwidth limits is just one of the ways we have increased server reliability and stability."

"We were proud to offer 60 GB/month for our last 9 months of operation. However, our limited-time 60 GB/month bandwidth offer has expired. Effective immediately (8/17/2002)"

All of a sudden this was a "limited-time offer? Eitherway, sounds like overselling bandwidth to attract new clients has finally caught up with AWH. Who would have ever guessed?
    They must have to slow the growth rate to provide good tech service to their clients! Isn't that right Curtis H? Too bad some other hosts don't do the same thing. Good techs are hard to find and everybody is holding on to the good ones, you can't burn them out.
    intellec

Originally posted by intellec

There probably are. Images, steaming videos, mp3 and file downloads can actually consume quite a huge bit of bandwidth and 60gb is a possibility.

However, when you are reaching somewhere close to 50gb or more, you would probably have to consider dedicated hosting to be fair to yourself and those on that shared server.

They must have to slow the growth rate to provide good tech service to their clients! Isn't that right Curtis H?
    Your missing the point.

There is an old saying. "If you sleep with pigs, you will smell like sh*t". If you offer 60 GBs for peanuts, then you will attract some stink.

When you start small it is easy to think you can offer 60 GBs because no one will or has not used it. But after time, you it will catch up to you. Just like a carcass in the savannah's of Africa. The vultures are sure to come. First one... then two...then hundreds ......

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

There is an old saying. "If you sleep with pigs, you will smell like sh*t". If you offer 60 GBs for peanuts, then you will attract some stink.

When you start small it is easy to think you can offer 60 GBs because no one will or has not used it. But after time, you it will catch up to you. Just like a carcass in the savannah's of Africa. The vultures are sure to come. First one... then two...then hundreds ......
    Well Put!
    intellec

Your missing the point.
    And the point is???
    intellec

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

anyone could easily match those types plans. It's easy to oversell low grade servers and stuff them full of accounts. However, building a long term stable business with good support and with profitable and stable servers is another thing altogether.
    AMEN, stability and long term growth is the proper proceedure

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Dude dont insult me (awh customer ) atleast .i know my site doesn't even run close to 15G but i wanted to be on the safe siide ( Greeeeeeeed ) . another friend of my let me share his server on rackshack for 10 dollars a month 20 Gb band,, Gigs of space cuz its all empty.

Anyway my site was coming up to 10 Gb mark per month due to my graphic tables and sudden increase in traffic.. with pictures and 2 flash files.

That was on windows host and i am now going to move to Linux environment. I know its a lot of work. since i still have to fix the layout of my site. But what to do.

eddy : reddi-web.com increased my limit from 4 Gb to 10 Gb for free. so tell me how can i distribute resources between windows and linux?

I had started with MS Access as a backend on my forum.. so that is also a pain in the neck. better move to MySql and if i am moving to MySql better as well leave windows server right ? i'm paying 150 per year for a non profit site.. and these 2 other linux servers .. my dad pays for an iinternational student like me !

any advise what to do would be appreciated.

eddy : reddi-web.com increased my limit from 4 Gb to 10 Gb for free. so tell me how can i distribute resources between windows and linux?

I had started with MS Access as a backend on my forum.. so that is also a pain in the neck. better move to MySql and if i am moving to MySql better as well leave windows server right ? i'm paying 150 per year for a non profit site.. and these 2 other linux servers .. my dad pays for an iinternational student like me !

any advise what to do would be appreciated. [/B]
    Well, if you find it a pain to use MS Access, you might want to give it up altogether. Do the total transition to MySQL and be done with it.

There is no harm parting ways with reddi-web despite how good they are. I have done that quite a common times, I know it is hard to move when the people are nice but the plan no longer fits your requirement. Drop them a nice email with your heartfelt thanks and move on. I am sure they would be sad that you had to leave but they probably would understand.

No point maintaining two places, I think it might be better to save.

By the way, you did say you have two more linux servers ? Well, you could conserve funds and move them over to AWH too. Not sure how much space you have left but AWH allows you to set up multiple websites provided that they do not exceed the total space you signed up for.

Have fun.

hey wait.. <snip> was about to move soon when i saw this. Will Ronnie consider me as a vetran and have me in ?
    Yup, just contact us directly and we'll take care of you.
    Ronnie T. Moore, Founder/Owner
    AlwaysWebHosting.com Friendly, feature-packed Cpanel hosting, that can't be beat!
    cPanel 11 Fantastico Multiple-Domain hosting (Host up to 25 domains with one account!)
    Sales/Support via phone, email, help desk, forums, FAQ's, instant messenger, live chat

anyway i'll talk to Ronnie ,

My Dear Ronnie, where art thou ?
    Haha, I'm here. Been busy building our new custom servers to complement our existing servers, so we can continue to grow... I haven't been in tune with WHT lately.
    AlwaysWebHosting.com Friendly, feature-packed Cpanel hosting, that can't be beat!
    cPanel 11 Fantastico Multiple-Domain hosting (Host up to 25 domains with one account!)
    Sales/Support via phone, email, help desk, forums, FAQ's, instant messenger, live chat

A lot has changed since 6-18-02. I have made a lot of pivotal company decisions, including discontuining the 60 GB/month plan, which was incited by an offer at AWH's initial "unlimited" bandwidth.

We do honor the 60 GB/month offer for those who signed up for it. If you want to arrest me for not foreseeing company growth and change, feel free.

The price change is directly correlated to AWH's offering the new Cpanel control panel system standard with all accounts. The price adjustment is to cover the appropriate license fees.

As mentioned already, we continue to honor the offering to all our customers when they joined, whether it was 60 GB/month or our new offerings. Have we kicked anyone offer for less than the 60 GB/month they signed up for? No.

I picture our previous 60 GB/month offer as somewhat as the 'last resort' between shared hosting, and needing your own server. Hundreds and hundreds of sites turned to us, and we do give them every drop of the 60 GB they were promised. Unfortunately, it is not hard to believe that serving such high-volume sites has added to the complexity of keeping everything running smoothly (ahem, which we have done). This was a decision for the sake of our existing and future customers, and a decision I feel that was more than necessary.

Same.

All of a sudden this was a "limited-time offer? Eitherway, sounds like overselling bandwidth to attract new clients has finally caught up with AWH. Who would have ever guessed? [/B]
    Furthest from the truth -- we have no trouble keeping our promises. Price and feature adjustments have happened on the road to improving our offerings, service, and customer satisfaction.

I'll continue to reply to the rest of this thread's posts as appropriate. If I missed anything let me know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast