Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow What do ya'll think of hostgator.com

Do you guys like hostgator.com and are there similar or better options? Thanks

Hostgator is one of the most talked about webhosts on this forum. A simple search would provide similiar threads to your own. It is discussed a lot. Goodluck
    GetCloudHosting.com - Looking for HOT deals on cloud hosting services? We post 5 of the hottest deals every day! -> Click Here <-

Some people consider hostgator = massive oversellers, scammers, etc... while others may think they are a decent host.

It all depends on how you use their services.

Eg. if you host a static site with about 100MB space and 500MB bandwidth under their 600GB space, 6000Gb bandwidth plan, you'll be fine.

But, if you try running a forum, a gallery and a blog with 300Gb space and 3000Gb bandwidth, you'll sure to get suspended almost immediately.

So, it all comes back to the what we always says:-
    You'll get what you pay for.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    Some people consider hostgator = massive oversellers, scammers, etc... while others may think they are a decent host.

Eg. if you host a static site with about 100MB space and 500MB bandwidth under their 600GB space, 6000Gb bandwidth plan, you'll be fine.

But, if you try running a forum, a gallery and a blog with 300Gb space and 3000Gb bandwidth, you'll sure to get suspended almost immediately.

Have you tried hosting any of those things you listed on their servers? I had a few personal sites hosted there for about six months and never had a problem. Their support was always very helpful the few times I needed it and I never had any big problems.

I believe they still have a .01 cent coupon for the first month of hosting, so I would suggest that you try them out for yourself.
    I post on WHT strictly for sig views

As a host talking about a fellow host they are pretty big, they are what we all want to be (whether some admit it or not) so i give them lots of credit for that.

Thats all i can say with honesty, i never used them so commeting on their service would not be fair and i think overall more people complain when bad things happen then people who praise when good things happen so i see some bad review from them and good ones.

If they offer a free trial i would go with them and see how it works out.
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

Quote Originally Posted by RackZen View Post
    Have you tried hosting any of those things you listed on their servers? I had a few personal sites hosted there for about six months and never had a problem. Their support was always very helpful the few times I needed it and I never had any big problems.

I believe they still have a .01 cent coupon for the first month of hosting, so I would suggest that you try them out for yourself.
    Before I opened my own webhost, I had used HostGator personally for a few websites. I had a few major forums on them, and a few static sites. The static sites had no issues, but the largest issues you will run into with blogs/forums, etc is the high load on their MySQL, so it can be slow, and they do limit the MySQL connections. A lot of large webhosts limit it, and I know most, but not all, smaller-medium sized webhosts do not limit the MySQL connections(I would open a ticket with the webhost first before purchasing)
    Crissic Solutions, LLC - Affordable VPS Solutions.
    Our business is based on Honesty & Transparency!

I've had a few accounts with HostGator and I didn't experience many problems. As long as you aren't planning to run a resource-hungry script, you should be fine.

HostGator is fine. Never really had problems with them.
    hi there!

Been using hostgator for over a year now, they are the best damn hosting you can get IMO.

I have used hostgator for three years, very good web hosting

I've been using them for over 6 months now. They're very good. 100% uptime for 6 months and super fast speeds, low server loads, fast support. All I could hope for, I got.

Great host, I'd recommend them any day.
    I'm currently hosting with: hostgator

I think they are one of the only decent real oversellers. Your not going to gain wonderful performance but given the space and bandwith they provide for the price you pay, you are in pretty decent hands.

I would never host something real important with any overseller ever, though.

Yes, they do oversell, but every "$10 for hundreds G bandwidth" hosting provider are oversellers.

Hostgator is one of the most-used reputable hosting company, great and recommend.

I used them for 4 months some time back and they were not bad but they did not allow a few of the rpg scripts I was running.

Quote Originally Posted by RackZen View Post

If you have read what I said, I am saying that if you run 3 resource hungry script (a blog, a forum & a gallery) with combine space of 300Gb and bandwidth of 3000Gb, you are sure to overload their server (cpu usage).

What I am trying to convey here is that you will get only what you pay for. Don't take something for granted and end up losing everything.

There may be some exceptional cases where they can fully utilize what is given to them, but that is only a fraction of it.

Many will be suspended before even reaching half of what is allocated as to make sure that high load and downtime is something the other customers of the host do not experience.

Just my two cents.

P/S: I've never tried their service. Mind letting me know the coupon code so that I can try them out? (maybe to proof what I said? )
    Last edited by JLHC; 04-13-2008 at 01:57 PM.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

Quote Originally Posted by jayleaf View Post
    I am really afraid of their Gator, it tried to eat some bunny friends of mine one day !! Bad gator bad !! Why would it do that ? Cause remember "we eat up competition"

Short and Sweet, the biggest overseller out there.
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst
    100TB.com -> Awesome dedicated servers. 20 locations & lots of bandwidth
    VPS.NET -> Cloud Hosting. 18 Locations. Check out our website!

Quote Originally Posted by NOCKody View Post
    Short and Sweet, the biggest overseller out there.
    That would be false i think dreamhost pwns them when it comes to overselling or am i mistaken ?

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    That would be false i think dreamhost pwns them when it comes to overselling or am i mistaken ?
    Well, I guess DH would be first. But HG is right behind them. Like stepping on their heels close behind them.
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst

Well, I guess DH would be first. But HG is right behind them. Like stepping on their heels close behind them.
    Lets see that gator eat up dreamhost, than we will all need someone to tame that gator for sure

Lets see that gator eat up dreamhost, than we will all need someone to tame that gator for sure
    Hahaha, wow. That would be the day.

On the other hand, one day when I was bored I timed HG staff to see how long it took them to get to me on live support (for absolutely no reason) and it took about 17 minutes.

**Excuse my off topicness**
    Kody R.
    Sr. Operations Analyst

Quote Originally Posted by jayleaf View Post
    I went down to Houston for an interview with Host Gator (doing level 3/4 support) some months ago and I got a really bad impression from them: they oversell like mad, seem to be hanging on by the skin of their teeth in most matters and their management seems all but technically inept. Any host that simply resells accounts on dedicated servers from The Planet should be watched with a suspicious eye: they don't have their own network, etc.; they really don't have much of anything except a large staff and an even larger set of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by anynoisry View Post
    I went down to Houston for an interview with Host Gator (doing level 3/4 support) some months ago and I got a really bad impression from them: they oversell like mad, seem to be hanging on by the skin of their teeth in most matters and their management seems all but technically inept. Any host that simply resells accounts on dedicated servers from The Planet should be watched with a suspicious eye: they don't have their own network, etc.; they really don't have much of anything except a large staff and an even larger set of problems.
    Yikes, thanks for the real insider into hostgator !! Good thing you did not sign any forms or legal papers, else you would be lots of trouble for posting above

**Excuse my off topicness**
    Yaa ur one lucky dude, as i do not have my shotgun on me right now !! Plus it does not work well when shooting online !!

I am really afraid of their Gator, it tried to eat some bunny friends of mine one day !! Bad gator bad !! Why would it do that ? Cause remember "we eat up competition"
    Now that dam gator is drinking up all the beer

anynoisry I have no idea who you are or how your interview went but I will say this......

1. Hostgator doesn't have a "lvl "4" admin position. You could easily see our listed positions located on our site hostgator.com/jobs.shtml

When you sound more like your leveling up in WOW then applying for a job that usually is a warning sign.

2. I'm willing to bet we never hired you and you are pretty disgruntled about it.

3. We offer a position to anyone that has even the most basic ssh skills. If someone has these skills and isn't offered the job there is a much much deeper problem at root.

4. Interviews usually take place by two people in a private room and take less then a hours time. It amazes me how much you think you know about our company from this.

5. Assuming we didn't offer you a job and that is why your posting here I would like to thank you for your help in establishing that we made the right decision.
    Last edited by BrentOfHG; 04-13-2008 at 07:48 PM.

I don't know why everyone is bashing hostgator... they are actually pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Soskel34 View Post
    I do agree, only issue I had with them was my own fault. I had a script they did not allow but if I did not have that script I would go back to them with out a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Soskel34 View Post
    Yaa thats pathetic , stop bashing the gator folks, so what it ate a few bunny friends of mine ? , so what if it ate up all the competition ?? Look on the bright side there is no more competition left as all is gone !!!

By the way who is bashing gator again ? I do not see no "S" words like "Sucks" "Sucky" "Sucked" "Shiz" and sooooooo ooon...
    Last edited by Energizer Bunny; 04-13-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: oops forgot to remove signature else someone gonna get mad :)

had a different concept about em...any proofs??

Is there any coupon codes?

Quote Originally Posted by doIdo View Post
    Is there any coupon codes?
    You may want to take a peek at the Hostgator website, on the front page, under the words Coupon Code...

Directly from any page that hostgator.com doesn't actually have... Eg: http://www.hostgator.com/thisfiledoesnotexist.html

Build your website today for 1 cent! Coupon code: "404PAGE"
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

where are they located?
    SupportExpertz.com - the name says it all!
    Managed Cloud Servers
    Server Management and Monitoring
    24x7 outsourced customer support

Quote Originally Posted by logicsupport View Post
    where are they located?
    http://www.hostgator.com/contact.shtml

Our offices Texas
    11251 Northwest Freeway, Suite 400
    Houston, TX 77092
    United States of America
    Toronto
    HostGator.Com, LTD
    4945 A Dundas St West
    Toronto, ON M9V 5G9
    Brazil
    HostGator.com.br
    Av. Evandro Lins e Silva,
    840 Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro
    +55 21 2178 2368

I just found the comment about Hostgator not owning their own network funny.

As if its a bad thing, they use one of the best datacenters with one of the best networks in the world.

Just because they rent the servers surely that means they are able to scale operations easier than if they owned them all.

Just my 2 cents, HG isn't for everyone but it does a pretty good job for its target market.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

IIRC their TOS says they dont allow images ....
    *confused*

Quote Originally Posted by anynoisry View Post
    Any host that simply resells accounts on dedicated servers from The Planet should be watched with a suspicious eye: they don't have their own network, etc.; they really don't have much of anything except a large staff and an even larger set of problems.
    This would mean that a great number of hosting providers out there should be watched as "suspicious" because they outsource the location of their servers?!

Give us all a break here...

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post

I agree.
    I've managed a few Hostgator reseller accounts for awhile now, and there hasn't been any problems.
    Keep in mind that these sites are not huge traffic sites.

My "heavy" traffic sites are hosted elsewhere.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Here is a question for the group regarding marketing and niche businesses.

If a host were to hold to a policy of NO OVERSELLING on its servers and backed this up with an SLA would you as the hosting public be willing to pay more for that guarantee of a server that is lightly loaded.
    TeleSouth Network Inc.
    Dedicated and Managed Servers
    11 years of Service and Support with Excellence
    http://www.telesouth1.com/dedicated.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast