Multi core or multi CPU

I hope this is the right forum for this topic

I'm starting to do my homework on a dedicated server and am really not that savvy on what's best for my needs.

Firstly, I'm just trying to determine how much grunt I need and am not really sure of the benefits of multi-core vs single core vs single processor vs multi processor.

I've been running on a low density VPS with 1 Gig ram for a while and it's doing fine but won't handle this setup too much longer. My site does a very high amount of disk read/writing and for the size of my site there are a lot of database calls.

I'm thinking a multi-processor will do wonders for a database intensive site, but will a single multi-core process do fairly well also? My budget is at the low end and obviously I can afford more for a multi-core single processor. Any tips on when multi-processor really comes into play would be appreciated.

Well, you need to establish where you bottleneck really is, as you might be able to do with a single quad core processor for example, but might need to create a raid array of SAS disks in case you are running out of i/o, and even add over 4GB of RAM, depending how much you need.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

I would recommend Multiple Multi-Core (quad) core processors, but anything multi-core will do you good as opposed to single-core multi processors. But I think your application should be "capable" of using the cores efficiently if you were to see any difference, I think.

If you are primarily using it for databases and need fast I/O I would recommend 15K SAS drives.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Multiple Processor > Multiple Core.

A multiple core processor will do the same thing as a multiple processor single core, so it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by JelloX View Post
    Multiple Processor > Multiple Core.

A multiple core processor will do the same thing as a multiple processor single core, so it all works out.
    A multi core processor is going to be far better than a dual processor single core setup. As such chips are going to be OLD.

However you'd be better off with something like a dual cpu dual core setup
    Damien

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    A multi core processor is going to be far better than a dual processor single core setup. As such chips are going to be OLD.

However you'd be better off with something like a dual cpu dual core setup
    I agree. Dual proc dual core would be best. You really should look at the specific processor technology though. For instance, sometimes you can actually get more front side bus speed and memory bandwidth with multiple single core procs than you would with just one dual core proc, specifically with AMD's. Memory bandwidth becomes important with database intensive apps.

Thanks for the info so far everyone - has been very helpful. From my research so far I don't think a multi-core multi-cpu is in my budget so will probably start off with a single cpu multi-core and put my $ towards a SAS drive.

This is probably my last question for this thread

Can someone give me a general idea of how differently a single CPU quad core would perform compared to a dual CPU dual cure.

I'm struggling with my budget a little and most providers are recommending I go with a dual cpu dual core given my site traffic but a few have suggested a single quad core might help me save $

Well, a dual cpu dual core setup would likely outperform a single quad core. It depends on the cache and fsb of the specific chips used.