Hybrid View

Question What if my registrar goes bust?

I registered a .com domain name for 10 years with a small registrar company,what would happen to my domain name if they go out of business in 5 years?

Thank you

thats a very intresting question il be keeping an eye open for the answer to this one what if you buy a domain from a reseller for 10 years and goes bust, how do you go around admin of your domain.. changing DNS ect..

As far as registrars go, with the Registrar Data Escrow program, which should be fully implemented by June/July of this year, if one goes belly up, all of the data for their registrants will be readily available. ICANN will simply decide who their new registrar will be, and turn over the data. The new registrar will likely be responsible for notifying the registrants of the change. And life will go on....

Of course, this only applies to ICANN-accredited registrars. If a reseller ceases its operations the outcome will depend on the registrar's level of responsibility. Which is another reason (IMHO) to think twice before using a reseller....

As long as the registrar registered the domain for 10 years at the registry you are find. You can check this at http://registrar.verisign-grs.com/whois/

Resellerclub transfers the domains to another reseller in the event a reseller closes their account. They don't just let them sit without control.
    EZHostz.Biz (Established in 2003)
    EZHostz.Biz <-> Reseller Info Domain Name Sales, WebHosting, Email Only Hosting, & Much More.
    Providers of Directi & Enom Reseller Accounts.

I am not sure how it works if you purchased it from a reseller.

I had a few domains at Registerfly when they went under and ICANN made sure they were transferred to a new Godaddy account.

Somewhere in the chain there has to be an accredited seller so I would hope and assume that if a reseller went out your domains would still get bumped to some one.

Of course that can't happen unless you maintain a correct email address on file that IS NOT part of a hosting package you bought from the same company. Another great reason to keep the two things seperate.
    Colbyt

Quote Originally Posted by colbyt View Post
    Somewhere in the chain there has to be an accredited seller so I would hope and assume that if a reseller went out your domains would still get bumped to some one.

Of course that can't happen unless you maintain a correct email address on file that IS NOT part of a hosting package you bought from the same company. Another great reason to keep the two things seperate.
    No matter if you have your hosting account is together or seperate from your web hosting account, you would still need to keep your domain administrative email up to date or you're not going to get the email stating it's ready to expire. Not sure what your point was there. Has nothing to do with seperate hosting and domain name accounts.
    EZHostz.Biz <-> Reseller Info Domain Name Sales, WebHosting, Email Only Hosting, & Much More.

[QUOTE=colbyt;5058504]Somewhere in the chain there has to be an accredited seller so I would hope and assume that if a reseller went out your domains would still get bumped to some one.[QUOTE]

That's exactly true, like I said (well for a resellerclub account anyways) it would be transfered to another active reseller.

The registrar isn't going to let all the domains die in limbo.

Registerfly didn't go under. They imploded but they're still operating as a Tucows reseller
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    Registerfly didn't go under. They imploded but they're still operating as a Tucows reseller
    How about those renewed domain names with Registerfly? In my case, my domain name is no longer up even if I paid its renewal.

They stole your money.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    They stole your money.
    Very intelligent response, good you explained it in detail.

Registerfly isn't ICANN accredited for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by biggerboy View Post
    Registerfly isn't ICANN accredited for a reason.
    But they were!
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, https://reseller.netearthone.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!