My current laptop config. Advice needed

Here's the link to the current configuration.
    http://files.martint.net/dell.htm

With Taxes and everything, the total price is $939.48

Now, I'm thinking of taking out the TV Tuner, and then my price will be around $820?
    Can I purchase a TV Tuner another time? Hell, do they even make TV Tuners for laptops? lol

So any advice? This is going to be used for mostly school work, with MINOR gaming.
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

if using mostly for school work I'd definitely ditch the tuner. You can easily get a usb2.0 tv tuner in the future should you have need for one. Spec wise what you've got there should do you quite well, just keep in mind if that can handle more ram even you might do well to grab it (I'm guessing it maxes out at 4GB), as you mentioned gaming too and vista sucks down ram like crazy (vista seems like the new Windows ME, and honestly many I've spoken with hope it goes the way Millenium Edition goes, do-do bird comes to mind).

I myself have a Dell E1505 and an HP dv8210us both perform great. Dell gets my vote when it comes down to laptops.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

I have that same laptop, almost...

Inspiron 1520 JET BLACK
    Windows XP Pro / Vista Ultimate
    Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz
    2GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB
    HITACHI Travelstar 200 GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB Mobile Hard Drive
    Widescreen 15.4 inch display (1440 x 900)
    Belkin Gigabit Ethernet ExpressCard
    802.11a/g Mini-card & Bluetooth
    9 cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Great laptops... as you can tell, I have 2gb of ram with my laptop with vista running a dualboot... vista will run just fine with 3 gb on this laptop, if you want more, why not... not sure if another gig will help considering windows might only see 3.2 gb of it. Vista is nothing like ME... Vista runs very nice on this computer with the drivers provided by dell on their website. No issues.

The only thing I can suggest with vista is get the 8600 gt graphics card, if you can... I'd also max out on processor... and get at least a 7200 rpm hd... or get a cheap hd and put another one in later (which is what I did).

Some say the new 5400 drives are just as good as the 7200s... I dunno. For school work, you might not even need a fast drive though.

TV tuner? LOL... I don't even watch tv... although, I do have one in my computer. When I had cable 1000 years ago, I loved to be able to record shows when I was not home.

Looks like you will not be able to do that anyway, since your computer will be with you.... but watching tv is not all of that in college... I did not watch much when I was in college. You might be different... get it if you think you will need it... if not, the other guy said you can do a usb version... dunno if an internal would be better than a usb model... or the same. You will have to look into that.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I just wish I would have bought a dell instead of my crapy hp dv6000. Its just so bugy, I will never buy another hp in my life again.

Quote Originally Posted by HosTalks View Post
    I just wish I would have bought a dell instead of my crapy hp dv6000. Its just so bugy, I will never buy another hp in my life again.
    lol... I purchased the dv 6500 (almost same as yours)... sent that pos back and ordered the dell. Glad I did!

I did have a compaq (hp) that I owned for years before giving it away... hp does make some good computers, depending on what you need... I'd like to test their new tablet... dell's tablet cost too much for what I need.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!