Using a VPS to give off shells

I am trying to make a free shell service, and i was wondering if it was possible using a FreeBSD VPS, with CPanel, and additional IPs. Or would a dedicated server be required to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkane View Post
    I am trying to make a free shell service, and i was wondering if it was possible using a FreeBSD VPS, with CPanel, and additional IPs. Or would a dedicated server be required to do that?
    a dedicated server with cpanel would work, I know that there are a few apps that will let you do what you are trying to do, but they get to be a little resource intensive once you have multiple users connected. There are also a couple of apps that don't need any control panel.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

How about a dedicated server with DirectAdmin? Or, a VPS with cPanel/DirectAdmin

Also, with DirectAdmin, would i be able to setup shell account quotas, IPs, etc. Such as most other shell sellers?

lol, I was under the impression that you were trying to setup like a webshell desktop service with features like internet browser and mail, I will have to do some digging and get back to you
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033

Ok, and I plan to make IRC shell service though, no vhosts or anything needed atm, though additional IPs would help

I think you can do all that just with commands as long as you are good at Unix, if you have few users it should not be too much work.

Yes, simply secure the server, then "adduser <user>" to add them. No need for a control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hivelocity Q&A View Post
    a dedicated server with cpanel would work, I know that there are a few apps that will let you do what you are trying to do, but they get to be a little resource intensive once you have multiple users connected. There are also a couple of apps that don't need any control panel.

And what are those applications?

So to add shell users with cPanel, i would use add FTP account?

Also: In the long run, would DirectAdmin work too?

So to add shell users with cPanel, i would use add FTP account?
    No, they need their own cPanel account in order to be given shell access. (or you could just create the system account yourself without cPanel)

Also: In the long run, would DirectAdmin work too?
    Yes, easily.

Though with DirectAdmin, i would be able to add shared hosting users? Which would be similar to "shells", as they are users who have their own little area of hosting on my dedicated server, to run BNC programs, etc.