• Yes

3 13.04%
  • No

10 43.48%
  • Karl, You're Krazy

10 43.48%

Is netbeans the best IDE ever created?

disclaimer: we're Netbeans partners.

But seriously now, could Netbeans 6.1 be the best IDE ever created?

Looks nice. Never used it though. Reminded me a lot of VS, at least in what it offers.
    [Lurking Glass] <- Not a webhost.

Voted no; IntelliJ would be my choice as the best IDE.

Eclipse is pretty good too.
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

I'm a PHP and C# junkie. I vote no

Quote Originally Posted by dprundle View Post
    I'm a PHP and C# junkie. I vote no
    http://php.netbeans.org/

You could always come over to the side of light, truth and goodness:

http://www.theserverside.com/news/th...hread_id=40344

Never tried it, so I voted that you are krazy!

But still for the ones I have tried or I am using, VS2005 hands down.

Vote: Krazy.

VIM is the best tool to use when creating code, hands down. A pox on all of you.

But seriously, I have heard good things about NetBeans, however generally when its mentioned Eclipse is immediately introduced to the conversation as a better way to go.

Not having used either, my vote is mainly for amusement.

Edit: That 'but seriously' was to imply my joking manner about my vote. I do solely use vim.

I'm always on the lookout for newer better IDE's. Unfortunately I'm usually left removing said IDE, and firing VIM back up.

So I too solely use VIM, and voted against netbeans.

No. That's vim.

EDIT: FWIW, a number of people that I respect love netbeans. *shrug*.

Take it easy,

David Berube
    Is your Rails app running slow? I can help. Call me at 603-485-9622.
    http://berubeconsulting.com

For Java, I use NetBeans.
    For Other languages, I use Eclipse.
    For Javascript, Aptana.

I think that no ide can be the best ever like every computer software depends on each user so I have put no

For Windows I use VS2003 and VS2005. I like 2005 better, but it requires a lot more computer resources than 2003 - so this results in a tie.

For Java (J2ME) I just switched from Eclipse to Netbeans. I think I prefer Netbeans, but I miss a number of things from Eclipse. I can't call it a tie since I haven't used Netbeans for a long enough period of time to result in a fair comparison.

There is no best - there's is only a best fit.

If you take a look over netbeans and eclipse. i would say netbeans is the one of the best product in the industry.

Doesn't beat Eclipse in my opinion
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!
    Kayako help desk software - we help our customers help their customers

How could one improve upon vim? All those pretty colors, regex replaces...not sure how anything could compare.

I only use vim with Perl and PHP code. But...Java+Eclipse=Magical

I am linux user and I develop PHP applications. I tried netbeans and here is why it sucks for me.

1. Desktop integration.
    It looks and feels different from the rest of my desktop. I want application "settings" menu (and "file", "view", "tools" .... menus) to be in the same place for applications i use. I want application to use the same GUI style as the rest of my destopn. I want to be able to drag and drop files between applications.

2. File protocols
    Netbeans is stuck in editing local or FTP file mode. That is so last century. I want my IDE to open and edit any file my system can access, whether that is file ftp://somefile or smb://somefile or scp://somefile or fish://some fiel , or whatever else.

3. Editing
    It felt sluggish (typical of java applications). There should be 0 delay between my keystrokes and whatever shows up on the screen.

4. Custom actions
    I expect my IDE to be allow me to hookup custom action on any event. If I add file in the project I want an email sent to someone, if I save php file I want it ioncube-encoded and copied to some place, I want php file to be tested for errors before it is committed to production server.

5. Server support
    When setting up new PHP project only options for web server were none and FTP???? What is up with that? Where is option for "I access files over NFS or FISH" but I view / test them over HTTP.

6. Project templates
    I want to be able to start project from project template. I want to be able to click on "PHP project with shopping cart" which will bring up dialog asking me for things that particular project types should be asking, and based on my answers it will create project structure, update / copy project files, set file permissions, create database on remote server. I do not expect IDE to provide me all of that functionality, but I want it to allow me to easy add that functionality myself using programming platform of my choice (I use kommander scripts for stuff like that).

7. File upload status
    I want to mark project files as uploaded or not uploaded, or "upload when modified" or "ask me for upload if modified" that would take effect when I try to commit entire project. This file status should be tracked for each of project "upload profiles" (staging server, staging server 2, production server ...)

8. Custom project depended toolbar buttons
    If i am working on PHP project that includes database I might want button in the toolbar that would open some kind of database explorer. If my project has no database support, I do not care to see that button.

9. Code snippet shortcuts
    If i am editng PHP file When I type in wres, and hit "ctrl-k" (for an example) I want that expanded to "while ($r = mysql_fetch_assoc ($res) ){}" I did not see where to configure that stuff.

10. Overall customization
    I want to be able to change or add shortcuts for ANY action IDE can take. I want to add/remove buttons in the toolbar, change when they show up and what they do and which keyboard shortcut, if any, will invoke them,

11. Integration with desktop communication backend.
    I use KDE so I want IDE to be able to be accessed through DCOP. There are similar communication backends for other desktop environments. Basically I want to be able to invoke action that would invoke my own script which could then use dcop to find out which project is current opened, which file is being actively edited, what are project settings, .... and then force IDE into doing some things based on action being invoked and information it collected about IDE.

I just gave netbeans about 20 minutes before I removed it from my system. It might have some use for java developer or someone who did not experience truly configurable IDE that bends to work around your own needs rather then pushing you do things the way IDE developer things should be done. For PHP development I give it 4 out of 10.
    Last edited by sasha; 04-15-2008 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NexSeven View Post
    Vote: Krazy.

VIM is the best tool to use when creating code, hands down. A pox on all of you.

But seriously, I have heard good things about NetBeans, however generally when its mentioned Eclipse is immediately introduced to the conversation as a better way to go.

Not having used either, my vote is mainly for amusement.

Edit: That 'but seriously' was to imply my joking manner about my vote. I do solely use vim.

VIM !?!?! AHHHHhhh ****falls into the chasm******

For quick editing, men use vi.

Quote Originally Posted by sasha View Post
    I am linux user and I develop PHP applications. I tried netbeans and here is why it sucks for me.

1. Desktop integration.
    It looks and feels different from the rest of my desktop. I want application "settings" menu (and "file", "view", "tools" .... menus) to be in the same place for applications i use. I want application to use the same GUI style as the rest of my destopn. I want to be able to drag and drop files between applications.

2. File protocols
    Netbeans is stuck in editing local or FTP file mode. That is so last century. I want my IDE to open and edit any file my system can access, whether that is file ftp://somefile or smb://somefile or scp://somefile or fish://some fiel , or whatever else.

3. Editing
    It felt sluggish (typical of java applications). There should be 0 delay between my keystrokes and whatever shows up on the screen.

4. Custom actions
    I expect my IDE to be allow me to hookup custom action on any event. If I add file in the project I want an email sent to someone, if I save php file I want it ioncube-encoded and copied to some place, I want php file to be tested for errors before it is committed to production server.

5. Server support
    When setting up new PHP project only options for web server were none and FTP???? What is up with that? Where is option for "I access files over NFS or FISH" but I view / test them over HTTP.

6. Project templates
    I want to be able to start project from project template. I want to be able to click on "PHP project with shopping cart" which will bring up dialog asking me for things that particular project types should be asking, and based on my answers it will create project structure, update / copy project files, set file permissions, create database on remote server. I do not expect IDE to provide me all of that functionality, but I want it to allow me to easy add that functionality myself using programming platform of my choice (I use kommander scripts for stuff like that).

7. File upload status
    I want to mark project files as uploaded or not uploaded, or "upload when modified" or "ask me for upload if modified" that would take effect when I try to commit entire project. This file status should be tracked for each of project "upload profiles" (staging server, staging server 2, production server ...)

8. Custom project depended toolbar buttons
    If i am working on PHP project that includes database I might want button in the toolbar that would open some kind of database explorer. If my project has no database support, I do not care to see that button.

9. Code snippet shortcuts
    If i am editng PHP file When I type in wres, and hit "ctrl-k" (for an example) I want that expanded to "while ($r = mysql_fetch_assoc ($res) ){}" I did not see where to configure that stuff.

10. Overall customization
    I want to be able to change or add shortcuts for ANY action IDE can take. I want to add/remove buttons in the toolbar, change when they show up and what they do and which keyboard shortcut, if any, will invoke them,

11. Integration with desktop communication backend.
    I use KDE so I want IDE to be able to be accessed through DCOP. There are similar communication backends for other desktop environments. Basically I want to be able to invoke action that would invoke my own script which could then use dcop to find out which project is current opened, which file is being actively edited, what are project settings, .... and then force IDE into doing some things based on action being invoked and information it collected about IDE.

I just gave netbeans about 20 minutes before I removed it from my system. It might have some use for java developer or someone who did not experience truly configurable IDE that bends to work around your own needs rather then pushing you do things the way IDE developer things should be done. For PHP development I give it 4 out of 10.
    You can do 4,6,8,9 and 10 already, you can have it do anything you want as you can use it to write netbeans modules.(think add-ins) I'm really impressed with the speed improvements in recent releases. It's not as fast as a native app, but almost.

Man sorry tested it for 3 days on php files and then removed it completely after having eclipse! No way!! Eclipse is much much better!!