Thread: Geek Certified

Exclamation Geek Certified

Geek Certification logo is good to be shown on a hosting website? Does the membership worth it? or no, this is a not important to join it?

The best thing you can show on a website is professionalism. Basically, anybody with money can get a "certification." That gives no indication that their services are good or that they are a trustworthy company running an honest business.

Hope that helped.

It is nice service which would probably help you to protect your works and your design elements such as website logo. Unfortunately there are thousands of people who do nothing online but to steal design and ideas. It is hard to fight them because most of them come from countries where no one respects copyright law
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor

And??
    This is the answer to my question? GeekCertified will help you to protect your works and your design elements such as website logo??

Don't know what HostColor is on about, but having a ton of free certifications from different hosting listing sites will not help you much; just try to keep your website professional and offer full details on what you are offering.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

To be honest, I don't really see the point of paying for a service like this. After all, there are a few free alternatives.

Geek Certified is free. I just mean to know if this is a notable/considerable index to join?

Quote Originally Posted by nimasdj View Post
    Geek Certified is free. I just mean to know if this is a notable/considerable index to join?
    If its free, then you have no real loss in joining it i would say that its not highly notable/considerable but i guess it does the job

I don't even know what it is or means (I've never heard of them or this logo), but there are hundreds of seals/logos that can be thrown on a site that means nothing. Honestly, what it means and if it'll add any creditability to your service/site for a client, is really up to the client. I'd pass on that and just stick with the merchant, SSL and similar e-commerce seals and logos (along with maybe some product logos).

There are certainly some seals or logos that give some clients reason to trust you over another host/competing site, but that's really dependent upon that specific client and what the logo says. For example, the HackerSafe logo stuff is a lot of nonsense and I personally believe anyone that would pay for a service just to pass simple and mostly inaccurate checks (generic scans and what-have-you) are suckers that I'd be less likely to believe they are qualified admins and business owners, but there's no denying that a logo saying that over a competing site that doesn't, may lead the client to believe you are actually more safe.

Now, that said, there are very few logos like that which may actually bring in more clients or give them a better reason to trust you over the competition. I think that above example is a rare exception. A Geek Certified logo likely would mean nothing to most people, rightfully so (I mean, what is it, what's it supposed to mean?), though it might possibly be another rare exception that could make some middle aged or retired person think that "geek" means highly skilled with computers and say no more... they are now your client.

Like the HackerSafe logo, I don't think the Geek Certified logo will turn people away, but people like myself and others that have been around for a while might think you're a sucker that paid for a service to get a logo that really means nothing, nor does it mean your service is any good or you're an honest person. The fact it's free doesn't mean much, because unless someone knows what it is and that it's free, they likely will think you've paid, meaning you might be a sucker, but I really think most people will just think it's another pointless seal and they won't care if it's there or not.

I suppose you probably have nothing to lose, because few people will care and the one's that do will maybe think it adds some trust in your site. Again, it's really up to the client, I don't think there's any set formula. I'd not bother, but maybe it's that one small icon/logo that will make your site look complete and fill in that empty space (hopefully without adding clutter). Obviously, in not so many words, I agree with above posts, that it does add risk that your site looks less professional -- that would be my primary concern.