Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Irregular bandwidth usage in MRTG

    I run a server with lighttpd web server. The server is for file hosting, see the mrtg

    http://www.hostonnet.com/tmp/forum_posts/index-day.png

    The server is on 1 Gbit shared connection.

    The bandwidth seems increase/decrease quickly. Can this happen ? I have another file hosting server, on that bandwidth usage is almost sine wave.

    Lighttpd web server is running properly and never crashed.

    Any idea why this happening ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    390
    The graphs are per hour as I can see so the graph shows you the average usage for 5-10 minutes.
    Your bandwidth can vary if many people try to download a newly added file.Though the hickups from 3 mbit to 108 and back seems a bit strange to me.
    p.s. you could install iftop to have a second view (besides mrtg) of your traffic.
    NOT a webhost!helping here just for the fun of it!
    G(r)eek inside.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    241
    Could be interface counter wraparound, that is that the counter is incremented so fast that it resets more often than mrtg checks the value. I see that quite often with 32 bit counters. I don't really know if there is something to be done to fix it though, other than checking more often, having 64 bit counters or something like that.
    We do co-location and system management in Stockholm, Sweden. Unfortunately we cannot host you, but i'm sure you'll be ok.

    Remember, the best backup in the world is the one you make yourself.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tix3 View Post
    Though the hickups from 3 mbit to 108 and back seems a bit strange to me.
    p.s. you could install iftop to have a second view (besides mrtg) of your traffic.
    The sudden increase and decrease of bandwidth, seems some thing wrong. Another server hosting files same way have almost perfect sine wave graph.

    I have iftop installed, it shows good transfer rate when mrtg report less transfer rates.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Overl View Post
    Could be interface counter wraparound, that is that the counter is incremented so fast that it resets more often than mrtg checks the value. I see that quite often with 32 bit counters. I don't really know if there is something to be done to fix it though, other than checking more often, having 64 bit counters or something like that.
    I think this may be the reason. Installing another software can prove this ? Can any one recommend easy to install software that show graph like MRTG ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by flashwebhost View Post
    I think this may be the reason. Installing another software can prove this ? Can any one recommend easy to install software that show graph like MRTG ?
    Cacti - http://www.cacti.net/
    Prtg - http://www.paessler.com/prtg/

    The freeware getif can also make a simple line graph that you can use to test - http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/getif.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •