Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213

    Is a Raptor 10K rpm better or a SATA Drive?

    Hello,
    For a server would a Raptor (10K rpm) Do better than same capacity SATA-2drive ?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,282
    Yes of couse.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by meyu View Post
    Yes of couse.
    But i heard those raptors are like more noisy ? Do they burn out quick or something cause of their fast speeds ?

  4. #4
    Unless you plan on sleeping in the same room with the server, I doubt you'll care much about the noise it makes.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,282
    no, they last longer than regular drive.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    But i heard those raptors are like more noisy ? Do they burn out quick or something cause of their fast speeds ?
    Never had an issue with them in a server or in a desktop.
    I use 150GB Raptors in my personal computer and haven't had any issues. I also haven't noticed an increase in noise either.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    Never had an issue with them in a server or in a desktop.
    I use 150GB Raptors in my personal computer and haven't had any issues. I also haven't noticed an increase in noise either.
    Cool so they will last longer plus can help do more mysql and server processing i assume ?

    Since u used them in server do you think it boosted ur server performance a bit ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    L.A., CA
    Posts
    3,706
    Sure it did. The 10,000RPM helps the seek times on the drives. I would definitely consider them over SATA-2 or as a less expensive alternative to SAS.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,200
    15000 RPM > 10000 RPM > 7200 RPM

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Orien View Post
    15000 RPM > 10000 RPM > 7200 RPM
    Oh thanks , i always thought 7200 RPM > 10000 RPM > 15000 RPM

    my math really sucks

    bugging yaa

    Hmm thanks AFerrier on ur raptor experience.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    363
    There's certainly an increase in performance, but you'll also see an increase in the pricetag. If moneys no object than go with the raptor
    Brian F. - Operations Manager
    Quality Shared and VPS Hosting
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    534
    I just had my raptor drive fail on me 2 weeks ago (Ran it in a desktop for about 1 year). However, it does have a 5 year manufacture warranty according to the sales person at Micro Center. I have yet to send it out though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    83
    raptor > SATA
    <- myusername dot com is not a link to sites or images containing pornography, sexually explicit, gross violence, warez etc.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    166
    Raptor drives are great!

    FYI though, Raptor drives ARE SATA drives...just high speed ones.
    [Lurking Glass] <- Not a webhost.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Hello,
    For a server would a Raptor (10K rpm) Do better than same capacity SATA-2drive ?

    Cheers

    'do better'? yes.

    'do better/$' maybe - do you have any ideas how many iops you'll be doing? (reads in iostat) ? You'll get more iops out of the 10k drive, but it wont be any more reliable (or less), so if you don't need the extra iops, go cheaper, spend the extra $ on a ramchip or two

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by cacheflymatt View Post
    'do better'? yes.

    'do better/$' maybe - do you have any ideas how many iops you'll be doing? (reads in iostat) ? You'll get more iops out of the 10k drive, but it wont be any more reliable (or less), so if you don't need the extra iops, go cheaper, spend the extra $ on a ramchip or two
    Oh ramchip i am gonaa go with 4 gig as minimum .

    Need to make up my mind about Raptors or Sata

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    76
    forget about the raptor! go buy this one


    http://cgi.cafr.ebay.ca/Vintage-MFM-...QQcmdZViewItem

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    100
    Anyone using SSD? Crazy expensive, but about as fast as you'll get.

  19. #19
    Western Digital has new raid SATA drives that are built with the same heft as the Raptors. Only 7200 rpm though: Western_Digital_Caviar_RE2_750_GB

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    965
    If you want to use SATA drives use a Raptor simple

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In canada
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGod View Post
    If you want to use SATA drives use a Raptor simple
    Alright thanks i think i will try out Raptors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •