Thumbs up Spam protection! ++ IronPort

For months ive been battling spam and other crappy stuff so i made a jump for a IronPort C10 (yea yea its the bottom of the barrel) but this thing works great for my needs and my users (family and friends).

My old load on my mail server was .8 all the time or higher now shes around .2

Theres a few things I'm working on but so far so good.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Glad to hear you've had success. We have deployed many MailFoundry spam appliances and love them!
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Just ordered the MailFoundry 1150 for the 30 day free trial. MailFoundry seems to get excellent reviews. I am hoping it does a better job than the Barracuda we have.

We also just recently started using MailFoundry for our spam protection. Simply amazing results from it. No spam whatsoever since we turned it on.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

Thanks for the review. Does the IronPort put hard limits on the number of users supported on a given model? Or do they operate like the Barracuda, in that their number-of-users specification is just a "recommended" maximum?

IronPort is licensed per user. The only thing I don't get, is why non of them do proper clustering? It's not like it's a hugely difficult thing to do these days.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby2 View Post
    Just ordered the MailFoundry 1150 for the 30 day free trial. MailFoundry seems to get excellent reviews. I am hoping it does a better job than the Barracuda we have.
    Please post back and let us know how it works out. I'm looking for an alternative to Barracuda.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutomic-Andrew View Post
    We also just recently started using MailFoundry for our spam protection. Simply amazing results from it. No spam whatsoever since we turned it on.
    Do you have it auto-delete spam, or do you just [SPAM] tag the messages? When someone tells me zero spam gets through, it makes me wonder if legitimate messages are also being rejected.

That's why we never delete messages, just [TAG] them, so we don't risk deleting good mail that "looks" like spam to the filter.

We have it auto delete spam. So far it hasn't produced any negative affects to either us or our users.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

Good luck with that.

We started using 4100's but found they were fairly weak when pushed close to the limits. We're now using 6100 models. Quite expensive to buy but excellent value over time due to no per-user license costs, which suits us perfectly when including it for free to 20,000 customers. We've deployed 5 x 6100 models now and love them!

Would be nice to get some clustering going on.
    Matt Wallis

IronPorts are pretty expensive but well worth the cost lately IMHO, I've used both their spam appliances and their proxy appliances. The thing I've noticed about IronPort that beats their competition is their reliability and quality.

We only have a few:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2028/...70b02200_b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RossH View Post
    IronPorts are pretty expensive but well worth the cost lately IMHO, I've used both their spam appliances and their proxy appliances. The thing I've noticed about IronPort that beats their competition is their reliability and quality.
    Aside from contacting one of their sales critters (which I pursue only as a last resort) is their pricing published somewhere, or do they have resellers who publish it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ecompro View Post
    Aside from contacting one of their sales critters (which I pursue only as a last resort) is their pricing published somewhere, or do they have resellers who publish it?
    You can check out dells website.
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

I can't give out our pricing unfortunately so you'll need to contact one of their sales people, I can recommend one if you would like. Our sales person and the engineers we have worked with have been top notch and the most responsive group of people I have ever dealt with.

Please post back and let us know how it works out. I'm looking for an alternative to Barracuda.

Do you have it auto-delete spam, or do you just [SPAM] tag the messages? When someone tells me zero spam gets through, it makes me wonder if legitimate messages are also being rejected.

That's why we never delete messages, just [TAG] them, so we don't risk deleting good mail that "looks" like spam to the filter.
    So far the MailFoundry has been amazing. Zero false positives. MailFoundry has a Barracuda buy back program going on now. Buy three years of extended support and three year subscription and the hardware is free with trade-in of your old Barracuda. They will even credit for remaining subscription time.

MailFoundry is a completely different beast compared to the Barracuda but the webui is fast and you really never need to go into it after setup. I do miss the message log but that was one of the things that made the Barracuda so slow.

Hi,

Is there any subscription fee to use ironport?

we use a group of 3 servers running mailscanner for approximately 160,000 messages a day. it took some tweaking, but works great now. its not as easy as an appliance but with high volumes its definitely cheaper than the alternative. We also use a prefilter for the obvious dictionary spam and end up with a very good delivery rate with little to no false positives.
    just another option if anyone had that kind of need...
    [URL="http://www.careermarketplace.com"]

Actually - there is also spamsolutions out there that do not come in appliance form but let you choose your own hardware and get a professional spamfilter installed saving - so, basically you create your own appliances at a fraction of the costs
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 04-23-2008 at 06:16 AM.

Yea but they are all shite compared to the appliances.
    Matt Wallis

Not sure what you base that on, because I have very different experiences:
    - better filter results than barracuda/ironport/etc you name it
    - you choose the hardware, so, where you would run out of capacity with an appliance you can simply upgrade your hardware
    - again, a fraction of the price

If you can give me some references about 'they are all shite compared to the appliances' - that would be great, <<snipped>>
    Last edited by bear; 04-23-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    Leading Webhosting Email Security Solutions, Incoming & Outgoing Filtering + Email Archiving!
    Clusterable, Scalable, in the Cloud or on Premises, Fully Managed, 4-Tier Control, Plugins for all Major Control Panels, and an Extensive API!
    SpamExperts - "The way email was meant to be - Simply SpamFree"
    (www.spamexperts.com)

We had a customer demo a MailFoundry and they ended up returning it because we were already providing them with better filtering using a combination of various softwares at a much lower TCO.

I am also not a fan of IronPort at all because they have serious false positive issues due to their reliance on IP reputation type scoring.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by srenkema View Post
    Actually - there is also spamsolutions out there that do not come in appliance form but let you choose your own hardware and get a professional spamfilter installed saving - so, basically you create your own appliances at a fraction of the costs
    Can you recommend any install-on-your-own-box packages? And more importantly, any that do not license on a per-user or per-domain basis? I'd love to see one that is effective and does not license by users/domains. I want to pay a flat-rate fee for the software, then just upgrade the box when we need more capacity, without having to cough up additional license fees every time.

We tried mailcleaner (www.mailcleaner.org) and it was fairly decent, but it suffered from a lot of false positives and is weak in detecting image spam.

I've heard rumors that GFI works OK (never tried it myself) but they also license per-user and are rather expensive for what you get.
    Last edited by Sekweta; 04-23-2008 at 10:00 AM.

We've been using a pair of Mailguard boxen for nearly 2 years managing 150k+ messages per day. Overall 99.8+% effective, zero downtime, and clusters/scales nicely (something others can't do). If you've got in-house talent, you can roll it yourself. Otherwise the MG developers are available to get you going for a fee. If you've never dabbled in roll your own solutions, highly recommend paying them to do it for you, as there are alot of tricks you learn over the years that help increase Mailguard's effectiveness well above many commercial solutions.

http://www.maiamailguard.com/maia/wiki/AboutMaia
    Last edited by FastServ; 04-23-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

MailFoundry vs. Ironport

Good to read about others' experiences with MailFoundry. We've been testing an Ironport C350 for about 30 days... like it very much, as Cisco must have to buy the company, but the cost is high... browsing, ran across Mailfoundry and could save $30,000 per year with it!! Hard to believe Ironport is worth that much more. May have to give Mailfoundry the 30-day trial as well. I like their pricing model. How does it do on virus catching?

We have been MailMarshal software users for a long time, but our server was choking on the increased spam.

Out of curiosity - what would you pay with mailfoundry?
    Leading Webhosting Email Security Solutions, Incoming & Outgoing Filtering + Email Archiving!
    Clusterable, Scalable, in the Cloud or on Premises, Fully Managed, 4-Tier Control, Plugins for all Major Control Panels, and an Extensive API!
    (www.spamexperts.com)

You can order on-line from their various models... the one I'm looking at is under $8000 USD, then various support options... 3-yr 24/7 support for another $8000 USD. I'm ordering a trial install today to compare with Ironport performance.

8000 USD for how many domains?
    (www.spamexperts.com)

From the prices he mentioned, I'm guessing it's the model 6100 https://www.mailfoundry.com/store which is listed for up to 15,000 users.

I emailed their sales team, who said they do not hard-cap the number of users. The rated users is their "recommended" maximum but there is nothing in the code to prevent you from abusing it beyond those recommendations.

Can you recommend any install-on-your-own-box packages? And more importantly, any that do not license on a per-user or per-domain basis? I'd love to see one that is effective and does not license by users/domains. I want to pay a flat-rate fee for the software, then just upgrade the box when we need more capacity, without having to cough up additional license fees every time.

We tried mailcleaner (www.mailcleaner.org) and it was fairly decent, but it suffered from a lot of false positives and is weak in detecting image spam.

I've heard rumors that GFI works OK (never tried it myself) but they also license per-user and are rather expensive for what you get.
    Like many others, we used MailScanner + an open-source MTA for many years. However, the authors of MailScanner then came out with a commercial product called BarricadeMX which we've been using for around a year now with amazing results:

http://www.fsl.com/barricademx.html

BMX is, in a nutshell, a stand-alone SMTP proxy that does all sorts of filtering magic (it runs on Linux, FreeBSD, etc). The technology is a combination of the milters found at http://www.snertsoft.com/ and other techniques that, when combined, have produced excellent results for us. We had four dual-core Dell 1950s running full tilt with MailScanner, and after adding BMX, could likely run our entire load on a single box. The guys behind the product -- Anthony Howe, Steve Freegard, Julian Field, etc have been active on the spam fighting front for many, many years..

As far as licensing, I do believe it is done on a per-domain or per-physical CPU basis, but the pricing for us ended up being very reasonable (far less than even a single appliance from the well-known vendors), so I'd check with their sales folks for a quote (tell them Mike w/TulsaConnect sent ya).

-- just found their retail pricing @ http://www.fsl.com/docs/BMX-DMXPriceSheet-Mar2008.pdf