For a message board, who should I go with?

I'm currently with Dreamhost which is just fine and dandy... But recently setup a message board and was horribly disappointed with the performance! I thought it was my connection at first but I tried it at my university and it was still slow.

So I'm looking for a good, reliable host with superb PHP/MySQL performance... Any names? I probably don't need VPS right off the bad (or do I?) but would like the option of upgrading down the road.

I'm willing to pay $20/$30 a month... A friend suggested 1&1, are they good?
      0 Not allowed!

How much space and bandwidth are you currently using with dreamhost?
      0 Not allowed!

Well, it's just a website dedicated to my photography so the usage is not much. But I don't have any problems there, that's just basic HTML/CSS.

When I installed the forum software is when I started to have problems. With no posts, and no users, the forum was pretty slow. It would always say "generated in 1.2" seconds or whatever, when every other site with 1,000,000 posts was around .271
      0 Not allowed!

Although I have no experience with 1&1, they target the same market as DreamHost, so I doubt you'll find superb dynamic performance there.

Try taking a look at MediaLayer. Your budget works nicely with their plans.
      0 Not allowed!

If you do not have a very active forum, I doubt you will need a VPS or dedicated server. The slow load times you were experiencing most likely came from a crowded server.
      0 Not allowed!

You should be fine in any shared host then, just try to avoid this time to those offering tons of space and bandwidth for the price of a 6-pack
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Well, looks like I will be switching away from Dreamhost to MediaLayer... Woohoo!
      0 Not allowed!

I'm willing to pay $20/$30 a month...
    Then a VPS within that budget would not be an unlikely best solution, if performance is key. Shared hosting all the way. You can get it at excellent quality levels with that budget (depending on your space and data transfer needs too though).
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I ended up going with MediaLayer. I posted on their wonderful message board and was very impressed with the timely responses to my questions!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jmeeter View Post
    Well, I ended up going with MediaLayer. I posted on their wonderful message board and was very impressed with the timely responses to my questions!
    MediaLayer seems to have dozens (hundreds?) of happy clients on WHT. I wish they would post more reviews though.

Please do come back in a few months and post a review. I'd love to hear what you think of them, their hardware/network, uptime, support and if they make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside
      0 Not allowed!

Media layer is an amazing host. you will not be disappointed. they wont allow it
      0 Not allowed!

I would recommend fusednetwork.com if you are located in the USA.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    MediaLayer seems to have dozens (hundreds?) of happy clients on WHT. I wish they would post more reviews though.

Please do come back in a few months and post a review. I'd love to hear what you think of them, their hardware/network, uptime, support and if they make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside
    They have already made me feel very warm and fuzzy inside!

Already I can tell that their servers are blazing fast!
      0 Not allowed!

They have already made me feel very warm and fuzzy inside!

Already I can tell that their servers are blazing fast!
    Good to hear that.
    Please update us on their performance and post a full review in about 6 months time.
    Aspiration Hosting [US • UK • SG • AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    • LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo •

• Web Development Support • Unmetered Bandwidth • Aspiration CDN • Magento Optimized •
      0 Not allowed!

A normal message board site don't need VPS or dedicated, just find a fast and reliable shared plan.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I ended up going with MediaLayer.!
    Good luck and let us know later on how you are going
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!