PC in a keyboard!!!

I wonder if this could be downgraded to XP or Win98se

http://www.cybernetman.com/default.cfm?DocId=602

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

that thing looks great, but surely the keyboard would get very hot that might be quite nice on the fingers but not too gd for the insides.
    Master Reseller Accounts
    Shared Hosting
    VPS hosting
    ToastHosts.com support{at}toasthosts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben James View Post
    that thing looks great, but surely the keyboard would get very hot that might be quite nice on the fingers but not too gd for the insides.
    Unless you get pissed off and smash the keboard then
    say oh ... then spill your soda or beer all over it
    is virtual reality here yet?

Its not really all that impressive... we've had these lil minature PC's thingys in the industry for years, I think they are called lap tops and they look like:

http://blog.loaz.com/media/blogs/tim...itsu-P7230.jpg

Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellweb Matt View Post
    Its not really all that impressive... we've had these lil minature PC's thingys in the industry for years, I think they are called lap tops and they look like:

http://blog.loaz.com/media/blogs/tim...itsu-P7230.jpg

I'd rather invest my money in a laptop, rather than a multi-purpose keyboard. I mean, really... what happens if your keyboard breaks? You can't just go buy a new one. Also, I like my PC... it's big and I can't misplace it.

Netburst + Small case = disaster waiting to happen.

Anybody know where to find the case itself? Or how to make your own?

Quote Originally Posted by unixorn View Post
    This one looks more promising.. At least it includes a monitor! Downside is the price though, and the system specs..
    Last edited by diligent; 04-11-2008 at 02:07 AM.
    DILIGENThost.com, Canadian hosting based on high-availability w/ 24/7 bilingual (French) support & 100% uptime -> Toll free phone support
    cPanel/WHM 11 + Fantastico, PHP4&5, Private nameservers, Unlimited domains & features, Self Serve DNS...Shared / Reseller / VPS / Dedicated | Webmasters-Inside.com - Come join our new webmaster forum!

Compute in keyboard isn't something new, we had such thing long time ago (It was Commodore 64 ... and Earlier ZX Spectrum)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    I'd rather invest my money in a laptop, rather than a multi-purpose keyboard. I mean, really... what happens if your keyboard breaks? You can't just go buy a new one. Also, I like my PC... it's big and I can't misplace it.
    The laptop investment is way better than the pc in a keyboard one. No doubt about it!

Quote Originally Posted by ElTino View Post
    The laptop investment is way better than the pc in a keyboard one. No doubt about it!
    If somebody can get a good guide on how to build one of these, it would be much more useful than the laptop... I'm currently trying to replace my sister's desktop, and having something so small it's litterally just bigger than the keyboard would be very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorophose View Post
    If somebody can get a good guide on how to build one of these, it would be much more useful than the laptop... I'm currently trying to replace my sister's desktop, and having something so small it's litterally just bigger than the keyboard would be very nice.
    I doubt there's a homebrew solution as the motherboards no doubt are proprietary.

There's overpriced stuff like this:

http://www.directron.com/lcdcases.html

Again, they are proprietary though.

Personally I'd go with an eeePC or an iMac if I wanted to give someone a small, inexpensive (in the case of the eeePC) or low maintenance desktop.

Shuttle's KPC is a somewhat interesting entry in the low-end desktop PC market as well.

Well, I've considered the KPC actually, because it's only what, 200$? Not bad for a miniPC.

But the keyboard PC would be interesting... I doubt you'd need a tiny motherboard; I don't have a ruler on me, but mATX should fit just fine, although miniITX or even nano/picoITX would be a better fit.

(Logicsupply has those iMac-look-alikes, but with touchscreens and VIA C7-Ds)

Quote Originally Posted by diligent View Post
    This one looks more promising.. At least it includes a monitor! Downside is the price though, and the system specs..
    I have an OQO Model 2 running Vista Ultimate, its graphics capability doesn't allow aero, but then I don't care about eye candy. The encrypt/decrypt for bitlocker is offloaded to the VIA Padlock chip incorporated into the machine. The monitor is crystal clear although tiny. I had been using it as my primary workstation, attached to a Samsung 216bw monitor, Enermax keyboars and Logitech trackball mouse until the hard drive died. Waiting on the warranty repair now... The neat thing about it is it really is pocket sized and has decent battery life. While underpowered by todays standards, it isn't as slow as one would be led to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by barat View Post
    Compute in keyboard isn't something new, we had such thing long time ago (It was Commodore 64 ... and Earlier ZX Spectrum)
    Haha yeah, when I saw the title, first thing I thought: they reinvented the Commodore 64. Anyway, it looks like a laptop without the LCD.. I can see how it could be useful, but I'd like to keep the mess of wires that usually go into a computer under the desk and out of sight; not that easy to do this with a PC like this, unless you go wireless for most peripherals. Plus, $629 for the cheapest one... laptop with a docking station anyone? LCD included, battery too

It looks cool, but I'm not sure it's all that useful, given well-priced laptops, the advantages they bring, as well as the existence of docking stations.

Well, I think they're expensive for two main reasons: Netburst processors and probably because they control this market.

Netburst CPUs need much more sophisticated cooling, at least in these small areas. And because they control this market they charge whatever.

Considering the amount of building material to extend a keyboard's shell and add in room for a miniITX/microATX motherboard shoudn't be too much, and the parts themselves shouldn't cost much either, it should be easily feasible for 499$ with even a good dual-core.