dialtoneinternet.net 24,429         32,752       34%   
             sphere.ad.jp          8,173         10,771       32%   
             he.net                9,791         12,810       31%   
             rackspace.com         9,419         12,176       29%
    I think Robert should hire me .

Now that's growth...

It's exactly double that of cybercon.com who are listed just behind them
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

WOW thats pretty good 88%..... Wish that was me

Of course, the number of responding IP addresses is not 100% correlated to the number of servers...
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

congrats RacKShack team. you guys can always hire me. First month work as a volunteer

If you compare the number of IP addresses they have now compared to everyone else, they're still small.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Small? I wouldn't mind being that small
    Web Hosting since 1999

Originally posted by cperciva
    Of course, the number of responding IP addresses is not 100% correlated to the number of servers...
    Yes, this is a very good point. It is unlikely, but it's possible that the number of servers/clients could decrease but the IP usage increases. This method should not be used to determine the growth of a company.

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Originally posted by rochen

Yes, this is a very good point. It is unlikely, but it's possible that the number of servers/clients could decrease but the IP usage increases. This method should not be used to determine the growth of a company.
    That's silly. Of course the number of active IP Addresses is a sign of hosting company growth. If a hosting company has increased the amount of active IP space they have one of two things have happened:

1. They have added more customers.
    2. Their existing customers have grown.

Either way it means the hosting company has grown, wether it is through an increase in clients, or an increase in average order size.

Originally posted by uuallan

That's silly. Of course the number of active IP Addresses is a sign of hosting company growth. If a hosting company has increased the amount of active IP space they have one of two things have happened:

1. They have added more customers.
    2. Their existing customers have grown.

Either way it means the hosting company has grown, wether it is through an increase in clients, or an increase in average order size.
    As I said, it's unlikely but not impossible. You could have 3 servers running with 5 IPs or you could have 1 server running with 100 IPs. Now just multiply that same principle on the scale of something like RackShack.

Originally posted by rochen

As I said, it's unlikely but not impossible. You could have 3 servers running with 5 IPs or you could have 1 server running with 100 IPs. Now just multiply that same principle on the scale of something like RackShack.
    Which is the second scenario I outlined. I am willing to bet that the customer with 100 IPs is invariably paying more than the 3 servers with 4 IPs. Either way, it is indicitive of growth.

way to go rackshack keep it going!!!! hehe i love your guy's service...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Great Work Rackshack!!! 88% means something!!!

Overall all hosting companies have performed great.

This comparison is with what kind of companies. What was the source of sruvey.

Originally posted by combs
    This comparison is with what kind of companies. What was the source of sruvey.
    The source of the survey is Netcraft (http://www.netcraft.com/survey/). It is the same survey they have been running monthly since 1995. Details of the survey are on their site.

In general, responding IP's will be a good indication of hosting growth. The exception would be for companies that do a lot of business in name based hosting, since you could add customers without adding IPs. Rackshack does not do namebased hosting as far as I know. (although the customers of Rackshack do) Hosts that do a lot of name based hosting will not show up well in these results.

On the other hand, not every responding IP is equal. A company that gives IP's to every virtual host is treated the same as a company that signs up a colocation client and assigns that box 1 IP, in the netcraft survey. However the co-located client would probably be paying 10 times as much as the virtual host client. And Rackshack generally signs up clients that get a whole box.

The netcraft results are one tool of many to measure growth though. Congrats Rackshack!

-Gint

Wow, that is fantastic growth. Congrats to them!