Dedicated Or Clustered

I currently am in the process of building an online shop, so far we have about 200,000 products in the database to when running a search its taking up to 10 seconds to display the results which is not good enough. The setup at the moment is a cpanel vps with zipservers, 512mb ram.

Given this i have started looking for new hosting for the site which is built however it cannot be launched until we have a good server. We already have 150,000 adwrods adverts set up on pause ready to go so the project is needing to move fast.

Currently pondering between
    1) a 1gb dedicated server with cpanel
    2) Netfirms clustered hosting which they claim is more powerful than dedicated

at the moment i am tempted to go for the Netfirms hosting as i have used them for other projects in the past and seem to get on ok with them. They claim that when i make a database it will be servered by several sql servers which will make things much faster than if i went for the dedicated set up.

Does anyone have experience of clustered hosting and is it better than dedciated?

thanks
    carl

I'll be completely honest with you here.

Clustering and Grid hosting for the mass one-size-fits-all has not be perfected yet and there are issues especially with databases. They work, and there are many hosts who implement them but the problems outweigh the benefits.

Your site is slow because you are running on a 512 memory VPS. Either try upgrading the VPS to a higher memory or get a dedicated server. I would highly recommend getting a dedicated server with 2gb memory and Core 2 Duo dual or quad core.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

Depends entirely on your application. If you're running a simple and well understood application, and your traffic is extremely variable, go with clustered hosting (e.g. wordpress blog that gets digged a lot).

If you have an in-house application that has to be stateful on a server, requires some sort of server-tweaking (dynamically created subdomains, special apache modules, etc). than you're best off with a dedicated.

Remember that with a shared cluster you're at the mercy of your host, so make sure that they're someone you can work with, and who you trust not to screw things up. With a dedicated server you have more power to fix broken things and tailor them to your needs, but you lose the ability to scale to handle a lot of traffic quickly.
    System administration, application development, and project management.
    http://erek.blumenthals.com/blog/

If you get a small dedicated you may outgrow it very soon. The clusted hosting may provide a more escalable solution, but depends on the provider. I can't say anything about netfirms.

Get a customer cluster with Active-Passive SQL DBs. Your needs are common and are easy to accommodate.

Kind Regards,

1GB RAM? I can't see that cutting it at all with 200k products, you need to be looking at a lot more than that - I speak from experience as we host a few shops with 50k+ products and they'd die with 1GB RAM.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

You should hire a better developer or ask your current coders to read more about MySQL Table indexes, proper keys and writing code with performance in mind.

You can have a shop with 20,000 products running on a 16GB RAM 4 CPU XEON monster for $1000/month performing unacceptably slow. Or you can have 2,000,000 million of products in DB running on a Dual Core Pentium 4 with 512MB-1GB RAM perfectly.

I have run on-line shops with 250000 products on a simple AMD Semptron with 512MB RAM ($50/monthly) without any problems. Of course it will depend how many concurrent visitors you have - if it's for SEO purposes etc, you should have no problems. Stick with LAMP - uses less resources is more flexible and offers better scalability and future growth!

PHP code, architecture, caching and daemon optimization is the key.

I'm sure a Sempron with 512MB RAM is fine for a shop with hardly any visitors, or any searches or anything you expect from a modern system. Even with all regular queries running without file sorts, temp tables etc. and page output cached, a busy store (and with the amount of Google Ads they have, I assume it's going to be busy) you're going to struggle with 512MB or even 1GB if you actually want to offer features users expect - there's only so much optimising you can do, before it's down to the hardware not being up to the top, and RAM is usually at the top of that.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Especially if you're running MySQL, plough some money into the RAM. Get yourself a dedicated server with at least 4GB and something like 4 disks in RAID10 (assuming you're going for a 1u system and don't have the money to spend on more disks or a separate array). If you've got the money to blow on that many adwords you should definitely invest in something capable of serving your visitors quickly.

If you're taking 10 seconds to query a table of 200,000 rows, I'd seriously start looking at your SQL and indexes though. I regularly work with datasets with more than 200m records and have plenty of queries which run against them much quicker than that.

Feel free to ask if you need any advice on the latter.

Kris
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.