Help: sidebar stretches and shrinks!

Hi,

Im using Dreamwear CS3 and im having a problem with the sidebar. The content in the sidebar does not remain in the same position as you go from one page to another. The longer the body cells are the more stretched the sidebar. How do i keep the sidebar dimensions constant without effecting anthing else.

Here is my website, see what i mean:

www livinginmytoronto com

anyone know what im doing wrong?

Well, everything is sitting inside tables, and tables by their nature keep consistent row heights and column widths. So if you have two cells side by side and one is longer than the other, the other one is going to elongate itself.

First of all, start by getting your markup to validate - http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/vali...yes&spider=yes

It's going to be difficult to give any real assistance beyond some minor patching if the site uses renegade markup. Best case scenario, the site doesn't use tables whatsoever and all of your stylistic information is separated from site structure completely. There's no reason you site couldn't use 80% less markup than what you have there right now!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I have no idea what you are talking about. What is mark up?

what is that validation stuff all about? what does it mean? something is wrong with my site?

Ok, this is one of the big problems with tools like Dreamweaver. They arm you with enough power to be dangerous, but they discourage learning about what the technology is doing, thereby making it nearly impossible to fix what the software does wrong. Don't blame yourself - you've sort of fallen into a trap. There's a big learning curve to get out of it.

Let's begin

Software like Dreamweaver attempts to automate processes many Web designers normally do by hand. When you use software like Dreamweaver, you're trading convenience for quality (not always, but often enough). What you're not seeing are all of the things happening behind the scenes when you drop an object onto the page or create a table. All the behind-the-scenes stuff is paramount knowledge to be able to use such software effectively.

Have you ever looked at the code view of your site in Dreamweaver? That's the markup. If you have, you probably looked real quick and thanked God you don't actually need to know all that stuff. Unfortunately, Dreamweaver is doing a particularly bad job of producing all that stuff, and without markup knowledge, you would have no way of knowing this.

Unfortunately, the link I posted previously won't be much help to you. The feedback it gives you might as well be Chinese, right? Here's a good place to start learning how to make sense of all this: http://www.w3schools.com/ - some of the information on the site is outdated, but it's presented in an easy-to-learn format, and it's a really good start.

Once you have a knowledge base, then we can work on cleaning up your markup and eventually correcting your display errors
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

thnx.
    what is the point of the clean up if the page looks the same anyhow?

On a side note, i tried cleaning up my index page using some website and it modified my page so that i only had 13 mistakes... however i cant get my flash slide show to play. It plays in dreamweaver, but not when i upload.
    Any ideas??

what is the point of the clean up if the page looks the same anyhow?
    Well, the most immediate point is validation means you're using the tools that were made for the job. This in-and-of itself will make it much easier for others to help you.

Validation doesn't guarantee your code is good (it might be, it might not be) - only that it's recognizable. When you ask for help, it's much more likely someone will be able to assist you. That, and we can rule out site errors being caused by non-valid markup, which saves everyone a lot of time.

One of the biggest traps designers new to the industry fall into is the notion that everyone else must be seeing the same thing they're seeing. Does the page look the same anyhow, or does it look the same to you anyhow? Heck, this is a trap even advanced designers fall in regularly. It's very easy to generalize our own immediate experience with our sites to the rest of the viewing audience, not taking into account that people (and non-people) all view the Web differently. Some use different font size defaults. Some use tweaked browsers for contrast/color correction due to issues with color-blindness (~10% of all males suffer from one form or another). Some use text browsers. Some use mobile browsers. Some use screen readers. Some are not people at all, but bots like search engines. They see every last bit of markup, and the more you put in their way, the less inclined they will be to rank you favorably. Worse, the less semantically valid markup you use, the less weight they'll give you in rankings. This goes way beyond mere validation, and certainly way beyond the capacity of software like Dreamweaver, particularly in its default state.

So the short answer to your question is there are extremely compelling points to why cleaning things up is good, and this is done with the understanding you're only meeting a baseline by doing so - there may still be a LOT of work to do after that.
    however i cant get my flash slide show to play.
    I looked through your site, but I didn't see any Flash on it. Can you point out the specific page or paste the markup you're using to call your Flash movie here?