Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1

    Need help with pricing.

    Hey everyone I'm pretty new to the whole web design industry and a problem I have is deciding what price to give my work. I don't want to end up at the mercy of my clients and I don't want to ask to little or too much, so what would be a moderate price for a custom website?

    Such as this one which I'm currently in the process of finishing: Link

    All my work is custom and original, even the icons which I make myself, unique for each site. I give the PSDs for the whole site and all the icons I made aswell. I also code my sites with valid strict xhtml and css.

    Basically, how much should I ask for a complete site: a) unique which I sell to one person only. b) template site which I can sell many times.

    Thanks.

    -Luke

  2. #2
    A)Sell unique for $50 since your starting see how much you can get
    B) Sell Those for $5 it will add up quick

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateServe View Post
    A)Sell unique for $50 since your starting see how much you can get
    B) Sell Those for $5 it will add up quick
    $50? Isn't that really low? I could get a better hourly rate picking up trash at that price

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    I suggest you charge not more than $100 for unique.
    As for template, it can be about $20.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    I suggest you charge not more than $100 for unique.
    As for template, it can be about $20.
    I'm not sure if I'm being greedy or anything but even that feels a bit low. I've seen people sell templates for $100. Now I'm not sure what you people think of my work, but I think it looks pretty good, and I know that I put a lot of thought and work into a site like this. I could probably design a site like this per 2 weeks. That's $50 a week if I sell it instantly and if I manage to make a site within the alloted two weeks. Now that's very little money for a lot of work.

    I mean people get payed more just for doing the coding. I'm doing both.

    Do I have a point or am I just being greedy? I'll do web design regardless of what I earn because I enjoy it but meh I dno

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    15
    Well you should probably start with low prices at first: maybe $75.00 - $100.00 for a unique and $20 for a template. Do this until you build up your portfolio. Once you have a solid portfolio and reputation you can start charging more.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    Figure out how much time it took you to make it, multiply this against what you think your time is worth, and there's your price. If it sells, you know you're worth it. If not, then you know you need to either work on your designs so you are worth it, or you need to charge less.

    Regardless, I've seen many designers charge next to nothing for design work. With few exceptions, they tend to either figure out quickly that they're not going to survive on $50-100 template and they start charging more, or they quit. Assuming you plan on developing your skills more and aren't going to quit (not bad work, by the way), charge fairly based on the aforementioned formula.

    I've worked with designers who make $5,000-10,000+ as freelancers for site design alone (no coding work). Most of the reputable designers I've met, who have some longevity in the industry, are charging anywhere from a few hundred to a couple thousand for layout work.

    Prices go up substantially when done by a designer through a design firm, but there are usually a lot more factors involved too.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  8. #8
    Hey everyone, thanks a lot for your input.

    I realize that I am not going to earn thousands for my work (not even several hundreds) and that I will gradually be able to raise my prices as I gain reputation.

    But! I am talking about ready made designs here. There is no portfolio that needs looking at. If you're interested in purchasing, then the single template that you would like to purchase is all you need to look at, as my other works won't really make that template much better.

    I don't think that just because you're new to the whole industry, it means that your prices should be immediately chopped down. If I do good work, I'd like to get paid for it. This thread made me somewhat doubt my capabilities, seeing the low prices you gave it. Of course I realize my design is not immaculate, I've only been designing for so long.

    Once again, thanks for your input, what I may do is put the design up for auction and see how much I can get for it, and maybe move on from that price.

    -Luke

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeV View Post
    $50? Isn't that really low? I could get a better hourly rate picking up trash at that price
    Id be picking up trash all day for 50 an hour.
    Matter of fact i dont know anyone who wouldnt pick up trash for 50 an hour.
    i just downloaded 200 free css templates to put this into perspective .
    Your sitting in front of a computer screen fiddling with photoshop and flash this and that. You have a skill but be reasonable, it takes most folks all day slaving away just to earn over 100 bucks to make the bills .
    So my view is price your work reasonably dont be greedy its ok to profit but charging 100 for something that took you 15 minutes isnt cool to someone whom had to work all day for that 100 that didnt know any better.
    If your good and reasonable im sure youl find much success and with time youl be able to charge a fortune for your great design work.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    I've worked with designers who make $5,000-10,000+ as freelancers for site design alone (no coding work). Most of the reputable designers I've met, who have some longevity in the industry, are charging anywhere from a few hundred to a couple thousand for layout work.
    It's refreshing to see someone post what's reality in the professional web design industry. You hit the nail on the head too, and were just talking about a design. No coding whatsoever.

    When you put 80-100+ hours into a design, you'll understand why $5k isn't as high as it sounds.

    Put it this way. If I spend 100 hours on a design, and I charge $5000, I'm doing work for only $50/hour. Not a bad price, but certainly not expensive.

    ...and for anyone who says, "Well I can do it for $500" or whatever, you get what you pay for. Let's see your $500 worth of work and compare it to what $5000 gets you. Let's see how if the business metrics go up or down.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    Just to clarify a couple points:
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    Id be picking up trash all day for 50 an hour.
    Matter of fact i dont know anyone who wouldnt pick up trash for 50 an hour.
    The question is about the cost for the entire job, not for every hour that was spent on it. So your analogy here really doesn't fit.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    charging 100 for something that took you 15 minutes isnt cool
    Also, nowhere is it stated that the work took 15 minutes. This assumption does not apply to the discussion.

    That is all.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    1,479
    Unique for $50?
    You can't be serious right? Even if he (any designer) worked 5 hours for a template that's 10 per hour.
    I guess if you are targeting the cheap buyers (despite of design skills) you can sell for $50.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Posts
    33,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Arm View Post
    Unique for $50?
    You can't be serious right?...
    Right.

    It was suggested he sell unique for $100 to build a portfolio. He said it takes him two weeks to build it, so he'd make $50 per week.

    So, you're correct. $50 for unique is not serious.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    One thing to consider as well is "what level of service do you expect in return?". If you pay only $202 (random number to not offend anyone) on a template design, are your expecting to get top-notch customer service? Do you think you will build a lasting business relationship with this designer? Often times ... no. I have seen and read of people that charge much much more not based upon the design skill, which they admit are not the best, but on the level of service they are giving to their clients.

    My suggestions for anyone that wants to buy a template for low cost:

    1) Talk with the design in person or by phone. This will help you get a good feel for who you are dealing with and the level of professionalism behind the designer. You will quickly be able to tell from phone conversations and emails if this cat is the real deal or if he/she is an artsy fartsy student looking to make bank off you and could care less about where you will be in the future.

    2) Does the designer really take into consideration what your company is about, where you want to take it, and how to implement key features into the design to not only express your business model but ways to increase the value of the site and ultimately convert clients to customers?

    Basically:

    Consider not how much the designer brags about themselves and their skills, but how the client is focused on you and your needs and how they can HELP you.


  15. #15
    i think that price are very low...
    you should take 25$ for each page . and you should find a new price for each graphics.
    good luck !!!
    how i earn money....your site is a bank ....
    your ads are every where on the world.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Just to clarify a couple points:
    The question is about the cost for the entire job, not for every hour that was spent on it. So your analogy here really doesn't fit.
    It does cuz he made it so by stating 50 an hour wanst good enough to pick up trash.
    so one would assume he would wanna make more then 50 an hour
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Also, nowhere is it stated that the work took 15 minutes. This assumption does not apply to the discussion.

    That is all.
    Its not an assumption a good designer can pop out a design left and right make revisions on the fly very quickly
    this is a global market place and if your gunna make your work available and competitive to all including the emerging markets of india china etc... the work must be priced accordingly.

  17. #17
    Hey everyone, thanks once again for your input.

    I'd like to think that I offer great after sale service as well. But that's not for me to judge. I try to stay in contact with all my clients and would be very willing to make changes to a design for no charge (as long as its not a complete redesign).

    One thing I'd like to clear up, is that I don't want people to think I'm just some sloppy designer who does stuff for cheap. I take good care of my work and make sure that it's completely custom. Go ahead. Try and find a web hosting site similar to the one above. Try and find those icons as well. You can't cause I made em myself.

    But anyways I said it before and I'll say it again. I enjoy doing webdesign, and I'll keep doing it regardless of what I earn.

    Thank you and good night.

    EDIT: @BeerMoney, no that's not what I meant. I said I'd make a better HOURLY RATE picking up trash. So...

    Let's say I work 2 hours a day for 2 weeks, to finish all the design and code. I find this very credible. I probably spend more but whatever.

    So in one week I'd spent 14 hours.

    That's $3.57 per hour.

    I think you get paid better picking up trash no? If not it's pretty close.
    Last edited by LukeV; 04-11-2008 at 10:09 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    It does cuz he made it so by stating 50 an hour wanst good enough to pick up trash.
    so one would assume he would wanna make more then 50 an hour
    Read again. He's saying if he applied the number of hours he worked on this against $50, the hourly rate would be less than picking up trash. He is not saying it took an hour to complete.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    a good designer can pop out a design left and right make revisions on the fly very quickly
    A good designer doesn't "pop out" designs. A good designer puts a lot of thought and care into the elements he or she creates during the course of design work. There's also a tremendous difference between unique and resellable.

    Spend some time in a professional design studio, and watch the work that goes into the end product, and just as important or more important, watch the planning and discovery work that takes place prior to the start of design work. I think too much time in online communities has badly skewed your perceptions.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  19. #19
    Thank you so much the_pm


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,904
    Quote Originally Posted by jerett View Post

    Consider not how much the designer brags about themselves and their skills, but how the client is focused on you and your needs and how they can HELP you.
    Early morning syndrome. This should read:

    Consider not how much the designer brags about their self and their skill set, but how they [designer] show interest in you and focuse on your needs and how they can help you.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Read again. He's saying if he applied the number of hours he worked on this against $50, the hourly rate would be less than picking up trash. He is not saying it took an hour to complete.
    No He didnt he stated he wouldnt pick up trash for 50 an hoiur
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Spend some time in a professional design studio, and watch the work that goes into the end product, and just as important or more important, watch the planning and discovery work that takes place prior to the start of design work. I think too much time in online communities has badly skewed your perceptions.
    Dude iv sat and watched online as my template was completed
    on the fly these individuals are the actual gifted ones and yet i still would only pay less then 100 for that.
    I also wouldnt pay more then 25 for a logo
    I would never use a proffesional design studio nor could afford to do so
    When theres perfectly good freelancers available without a greed complex.
    Their is also an ever growing database of free templates available for free so why pay when you can edit.
    The value minded buyer's perspective is one that drives the internet.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX
    Posts
    11,222
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    No He didnt he stated he wouldnt pick up trash for 50 an hoiur
    He clarified himself a couple posts up, so the point is moot. What you thought he meant was not what he meant, and now everything's clear.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    Dude iv sat and watched online as my template was completed
    on the fly these individuals are the actual gifted ones and yet i still would only pay less then 100 for that.
    I also wouldnt pay more then 25 for a logo
    I would never use a proffesional design studio nor could afford to do so
    When theres perfectly good freelancers available without a greed complex.
    Their is also an ever growing database of free templates available for free so why pay when you can edit.
    The value minded buyer's perspective is one that drives the internet.
    Well, I guess we have a better understanding of your perspective. I'm glad OP gets to hear both sides of the discussion. I'm sure this will help him decide what he's worth
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

  23. #23
    If you could back yourself up with proof that'd be grand BeerMoney.

    Also. a serious company is not going to use a free template that is available to everyone. Custom work costs money. That much I know.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeV View Post
    If you could back yourself up with proof that'd be grand BeerMoney.

    Also. a serious company is not going to use a free template that is available to everyone. Custom work costs money. That much I know.
    Why dont you explain how youd like that .
    dont be over excited cuz your arrogant post got deleted
    the fact i have a large portfolio of domains another fact iv been buying design services for years and refuse to pay outragous prices.
    Right now im in the midst of changing everything towards affialete marketing so even you can understand when you need 100 designs the roi is quite nice when there all free and all i have to do is get a logo done
    why do you need cheap deals i cant point in in a good direction

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    Why dont you explain how youd like that .
    dont be over excited cuz your arrogant post got deleted
    the fact i have a large portfolio of domains another fact iv been buying design services for years and refuse to pay outragous prices.
    Right now im in the midst of changing everything towards affialete marketing so even you can understand when you need 100 designs the roi is quite nice when there all free and all i have to do is get a logo done
    why do you need cheap deals i cant point in in a good direction
    This is what you think.
    You don't need to impose your thoughts on anybody.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    This is what you think.
    You don't need to impose your thoughts on anybody.
    But THIS is the point of a forum, to share thoughts whether you agree with them or not thus to see different persepectives. in a kind proffesional manner

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,033
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerMoney View Post
    But THIS is the point of a forum, to share thoughts whether you agree with them or not thus to see different persepectives. in a kind proffesional manner
    Yeah. but you sound harsh at times, especially to the OP.
    Try to keep your words mild.
    No offense though.
    Aspiration Hosting [US UK SG AU] - Cloud Web Hosting | Managed Cloud Server
    LiteMage / LiteSpeed Cache for Magento, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal & XenForo

    Web Development Support Unmetered Bandwidth Aspiration CDN Magento Optimized

  28. #28
    Whatever BeerMoney you're right I shouldn't sell my work for a decent amount of money because smart people like you can just go get free templates.

    Thanks

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    isle of insanity
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    Yeah. but you sound harsh at times, especially to the OP.
    Try to keep your words mild.
    No offense though.
    yeah i c that point im an a hole but i just respond as responded too and generally try to get my view point across without being so but sometimes its hard people are smart a's and that aggreviates me
    this hole topic has made me aware of a segment of domains iv failed to cover. im gunna correct that though

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10
    The price in his industry is variable, as it depends by customer's demand.
    so, if website is template based price will be lower than custom design, also if the website is CMS based (like as drupal, joomla..) it will be low than custom programming.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •