Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

* Migrate from DP to LT

Hi,

I called up the LT staff and they assured me that if everything went properly step by step the whole process should not take more than 2 hours.

As far as the cost is concerned they will be deciding the cost on a case to case basis.

I have mailed them details of my 2 servers and awaiting further response from them

Regards

Ashish Arun Bagla

i talked with them too but they asked my "root access" wich i dont have it.

i had a dedicated which i paid 130 $ a month to DP but now at LT tell me that tehy cannot do anything for me if i dont have the "root access", since my suposedly dedicated computer was really a kind of VPS .. then they cannot give me access and my data will be lost ...

did you provide your root access Ashish ? what kind of dedicated computers you had at DP ?

thanks,
    rei.

Even if they were 100% managing that server are you sure they never sent the login info when you signed up? What about the login for WHM?

Quote Originally Posted by reinaldo View Post
    i talked with them too but they asked my "root access" wich i dont have it.

i had a dedicated which i paid 130 $ a month to DP but now at LT tell me that tehy cannot do anything for me if i dont have the "root access", since my suposedly dedicated computer was really a kind of VPS .. then they cannot give me access and my data will be lost ...

did you provide your root access Ashish ? what kind of dedicated computers you had at DP ?

thanks,
    rei.

Hi,

I haded 2 dedicated servers with root access.

Regards
    Regards

Ashish Bagla
    http://www.tirupati.biz

Has anyone received a reply from Sales after emailing them? I sent an email over an hour ago with still no response back. I spoke to LC but they couldn't help, just saying they were working their way through.

Quote Originally Posted by NicAddress View Post
    Even if they were 100% managing that server are you sure they never sent the login info when you signed up? What about the login for WHM?
    It's not uncommon when ordering such services to not provide the customer with root access, in order for them not to mess with anything that could make things difficult.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Hi,

I sent an email almost one and half hour back but still no reply.
    Regards

Ashish Bagla

They are probably swamped with transfer requests.

Hi,

Just got the link to place on transfer order.

I have placed order for 2 server transfers.

Lets see whats next
    Regards

Ashish Bagla

ok, so what to do ??????????
    if DP people didnt give me root access ...

only WHM access ..

have i to resign to loss my data ???? is not enough with prove that im the owner for the sites data i claim ?
    htm files, awstats, wordpress content blogs etc ...

if i go to other dedicated server how can i get all my former data ????

any idea please?

rei.

Hi

What login name you are using for whm is it " root "
    Regards

Ashish Bagla

WHM access is as good as a root...you can set the root password from within WHM, so I'm sure L.T. will be considerate of that.
    Fast Serv Networks, LLC | AS29889 | Fully Managed Cloud, Streaming, Dedicated Servers, Colo by-the-U
    Since 2003 - Ashburn VA + San Diego CA Datacenters

Hi,

Even a reseller can be given a whm access and that doesn't mean that he can change root password
    Regards

Ashish Bagla

Hi,

You can import all accounts from one cpanel server to another using either the root password or the account passwords
    Regards

Ashish Bagla

Hang in there. Sales is answering emails. Send them your ip and root password. They will send you a link to pay the transfer fee, and that is where I am at now, awaiting approval and transfer.

I just got my transfer and payment email. My new "Special" price is more than it was with DP. Right now, I could care less.

I will probably be leaving once this is sorted out.

How much was the difference if you dont mind me asking?

I was told my IP range had to be changed. ... that was 3 hours ago... I don't see any reason for changing my IPs, LT owns the whole range.

Hi,

I will be paying 15% more that the DP prices.
    Regards

Ashish Bagla

WOW!! talk about taking advantage of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by chopperb View Post
    How much was the difference if you dont mind me asking?
    Increase is about 2.5% for me, $5.00 extra than what I was paying DP per server.

Around $15 more here.. They basically still sell the same server, but with twice as much disk space and double the bandwidth for less money. I would be better off buying another new server from them and transferring everything and canceling the old server.

I will just leave after a few months I guess.

O.. is anyone back up yet after paying? Are we really going to have to wait another 24/48 hrs? Just plug my #$%$# cable back in please.
    Last edited by NicAddress; 04-09-2008 at 04:54 PM.

I sent in my support request at 3:30pm ET today (Wed). I received an auto generated response saying a ticket was created a minute later, and that someone would get back to me.

As of now, no one has gotten back to me.

Call sales with the ticket number.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjtocool View Post
    I sent in my support request at 3:30pm ET today (Wed). I received an auto generated response saying a ticket was created a minute later, and that someone would get back to me.

As of now, no one has gotten back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    WHM access is as good as a root...you can set the root password from within WHM, so I'm sure L.T. will be considerate of that.
    you sure Randy ??

how s taht ? can you tell me how to get the root access from the whm ??

thanks ,
    rei.

you sure Randy ??

how s taht ? can you tell me how to get the root access from the whm ??

thanks ,
    rei.
    Whatever you use to login to you WHM is your root access, send them that and the link to your WHM and LT will be able to verify you own the server and transfer it.

Quote Originally Posted by abagla View Post
    Hi,

You can import all accounts from one cpanel server to another using either the root password or the account passwords
    yes, but if the "source" computer is "unplugded" ????

rei

The price quoted for me was 58% higher than my old price, so I've declined their offer. It was a low-spec server anyway.

For many people it would be worth it to recover the data (and it's good of them to offer), but luckily my other server (elsewhere) had a reasonably up-to-date copy of the site and I switched over to it within an hour or so of the problem yesterday. Still, I'm working on better backups and more automated recovery, it was worrying yesterday.

Hi,

I got following response

"We have sent a ticket to our Data Center to have the server relabeled for you. Once this is complete, the server will be reconnected."
    Regards

Ashish Bagla

Quote Originally Posted by abagla View Post
    Hi

What login name you are using for whm is it " root "
    yes ashish ...
    root is the username for my WHM ...

rei.

yes ashish ...
    root is the username for my WHM ...

rei.

Then the password you are using is your root passowrd only

Go ahead and give the same to LT along with server details like ID and ip address
    Regards

Ashish Bagla

I hate these situations. Its bad for the customers and bad for the provider. Here we have people complaining because sales hasn't responded right away. Please just consider how many things they have to do to recover from the mess of your former provider. They were legally under no obligation to do so and while I know for all of you it is frustrating, LT isn't at fault here. They are doing the right things.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support

Why the price increase? Better deal to cancel this server and buy another from LT with twice the bandwidth and disk space for less money? I'm just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    ....They are doing the right things.
    All LT had to do was plug the cables back in to get everyone back online... then work through the backlog.. that would have relieved pressure on both them & the hapless DP customers.

FYI, Dedicated Place finally had something to say on the issue:

Dear Dedicated Place Clients,

Please be informed that effective today, April 10, 2008 DedicatedPlace.com will cease Operation.

Please contact Layeredtech.com at [email protected] immediately so that you can begin negotiations to have your servers transferred into your name so that you will not lose your data.

We will contact you again regarding your Payments once we have finished arranging our Finances and Assets.

Sincerely
    Charles
    DedicatedPlace.com

Quote Originally Posted by NicAddress View Post
    Why the price increase? Better deal to cancel this server and buy another from LT with twice the bandwidth and disk space for less money? I'm just asking.
    That is most of the people do.

You can plan for an upgrade first to make sure you can transfer your data without loosing anything.

Net
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

All,

As you can imagine, we are dealing with potentially sensitive issues on a public forum so we are unable to address all of the concerns posted, but we would like to address a couple of issues.

First, the response times. You can rest assured that we are working feverishly to accommodate the multitude of requests that continue to come in. Although it may appear on the surface to be a simple fix, it is actually quite time consuming to complete all of the necessary steps to transfer "ownership" of a server. We certainly recognize that everyone wants their server up immediately, but please be patient as we work through each request.

Secondly, in regards to the pricing. Obviously, Layered Technologies has a reseller program. That program is based on providing discounts in relation to the number of servers the reseller has with us. So it is highly likely that the reseller was providing the services at a price less than what we sell to our direct customers. Any suggestion that LT is taking advantage of this situation is completely false. Rather, we are spending a lot of time and resources in order to recover as many servers as possible to the benefit of the server user. The pricing is simply the price that we have sold that server to the reseller less the discount. Keep in mind that we have no control over what price the reseller provides services. It is possible that the server portion of the total solution was sold below the reseller cost and the margin was made up in the managed services (pure speculation but a possibility.)

As we continue to say, this situation is unfortunate for all involved. Please know that we are striving to accommodate the requests quickly.

Regards,

Layered Technologies

LTADMIN,

Thank you for this information.

I would like to advise everyone there is no choice expect to pay for entire month at the new rate if you want to get your files from Layered Tech. I understand Layered Tech has taken a financal loss just as I have, even more so now that I've had to pay to get my files, and they need to cover the cost for the manpower, but to charge for entire month is wrong when I only need a couple hours. All though I would perfer to get my files without spending any more money, I would have been open to an idea of a one time fee of something like $50 for limited timed access to recover my files. To me that would be working together to try to get the best out of this situation. Instead, it is costing me much more. I'm really disappointed on how this has turned out. I understand the agreement was between myself and dedicatedplace.com and not layered tech and they might not have any legal obligation deal directly with myself, but the difference between an OK company and Great company is the one who goes above and beyond to resolve issues in everyone best interest. In my opinion, Layered Tech is falling short of being a great company. I wish eveyone the best of luck in getting thier servers and files back up and running as soon as possible. I will be very interested in hearing what my lawyer has to say about this whole ordeal and how to procede and to what level. Good Luck!

Jerry
    NVG Web Hosting
    http://www.nvghosting.com/

LTADMIN thank you for posting. While I understand there are certainly complexities in migrating accounts across to the LT system of administration, I certainly see no complexity in restoring connectivity in the interim to all those still off line.

Our servers have been down now approx 30hrs, with no ETA from LT when they will be back up.

As was explained to me by one of your staff "a cable was pulled" and that caused loss of access to all DP clients. So my question is, what's stopping LT plugging the the cable back into the LAN?

Sure, they were will be some loss of BW for LT, but think of the PR. As someone pointed out earlier, it's these things that separate good/great companies from the so-so and also rans.

Or perhaps LT doesn't want to lose the chance of charging those people who are moving away from LT a hefty fee to retrieve their data? It does make one wonder.
    Last edited by Avo19; 04-09-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast