Thread: Reserved space

Reserved space

Does anyone know how most hosters would handle this situation?
    • A hoster has a customer with a certain config, let's say 2 servers and a firewall
    • This customer anticipates growing, perhaps later in the year, and will likely add a number of servers
    • In an effort to avoid migrations within the DC, does the hoster reserve space in the rack?
    • Would the hoster charge the customer for said reserved space?
    I'm just wondering what standard practice is, if there is one.

You are talking about colocation. That is separate web hosting service. And you can find it with no problem. Check offers section for colocation

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckSmoker View Post
    Does anyone know how most hosters would handle this situation?
    • A hoster has a customer with a certain config, let's say 2 servers and a firewall
    • This customer anticipates growing, perhaps later in the year, and will likely add a number of servers
    • In an effort to avoid migrations within the DC, does the hoster reserve space in the rack?
    • Would the hoster charge the customer for said reserved space?
    I'm just wondering what standard practice is, if there is one.
    I doubt you'll get a consensus on standard practice, however, I'd say that everyone thinks they're going to grow..by a lot..and very few actually do - it's not practical to reserve space for all of these people unless you're very overbuilt.

2 options, really:
    a) Be the nice guy and 'try' to keep space free for them, usually coupled with first right of refusal
    ^-- doesn't scale

b) if the customer would like 10u for growth, the customer needs to be paying for 10u 

^-- best option, depending on how you bill power you can also cut them a break on that cost for the unused space until they use it.

If the customer really needs to avoid a migration "I will lose thousands of dollars if I'm down for 3 minutes" then surely paying for the extra unused space as an insurance policy is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ~ServerPoint~ View Post
    You are talking about colocation. That is separate web hosting service. And you can find it with no problem. Check offers section for colocation
    Not always... there are times when folks who are renting dedicated servers from a provider would like to have them all in the same place and will reserve "rack" space to deploy their next server. This has nothing to do with colocation.

To the OP: Find a company you like doing business with them and then ask them the questions you've listed. I think you'll find that mosts hosts will likely be able to do this for you and charge you a nominal fee to "hold" the rack space for your future growth.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Configuring a VLAN would probably do what you need without having to have adjacent machines.
    Ricky Blaikie - Senior Hosting Consultant - Host Consult Ltd
    http://www.host-consult.net - TEL: +44 (0)20 3002 7992

FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/HostConsult